Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
17-05-2019
Med's Request
09-10-2019
Med's Done....
16-10-2019
it took a year to get DM from AIP... wow... if I can ask.. did you have some extraordinary life that may draw attention from CSIS?
Lol, no, our case should really fall into the simple case category... DH has been in Canada before he turned 20 and has been in school for a number of years and went into work directly after (in major banks). All these years never leaving Canada for more than 30 days in a single trip and has never gone out of status on his study and work permits... We did travel to a few countries in Europe back in 2015 (France, Italy, Switzerland), so not sure if those could have caused any sensitivities to lead to delays...

kimjae11

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Lol, no, our case should really fall into the simple case category... DH has been in Canada before he turned 20 and has been in school for a number of years and went into work directly after (in major banks). All these years never leaving Canada for more than 30 days in a single trip and has never gone out of status on his study and work permits... We did travel to a few countries in Europe back in 2015 (France, Italy, Switzerland), so not sure if those could have caused any sensitivities to lead to delays...
I really dont understand what caused that super delay.... but anyways you are done!!!! I believe my case should be super straight forward as well... and I work for provincial government lol which I hope make things little easier...

mia1588

Star Member
Jul 25, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
17-05-2019
Med's Request
09-10-2019
Med's Done....
16-10-2019
I really dont understand what caused that super delay.... but anyways you are done!!!! I believe my case should be super straight forward as well... and I work for provincial government lol which I hope make things little easier...
We've come to accept that CIC works in unpredictable ways... How long have you been waiting on security screening? Hope it will come through soon!!

kimjae11

Star Member
Aug 16, 2017
Not too long... they started my security check in July 4th 2017. Everything else is completed.... Its just that I only have couple months left in my passport validity (Dec 31 2017) and I have to take a risk of loosing everything in Canada to renew my passport...

Reactions: rizaki and SerenaC

rizaki

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
Not too long... they started my security check in July 4th 2017. Everything else is completed.... Its just that I only have couple months left in my passport validity (Dec 31 2017) and I have to take a risk of loosing everything in Canada to renew my passport...
I understand how it is such a frustrating worry. We are April 2016 applicant and hoping CIC finishes us before 2018 too. The way it is going I really am starting to doubt it :(

dominicantiguan

Apr 24, 2017
Etobicoke
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
27-04-2016
Doc's Request.
06-06-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2016
Med's Request
03-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-06-2017 Passed
Interview........
Waived
Thanks! and no, I don't see any queue for review in our gcms notes (we requested notes back in May this year).

Thanks kimjae11! Detailed timeline of all actions here:

01/2016 - Application Received
03/2016 - AOR
06/2016 - Requested and submitted IMM5669 & IMM5406
06/2016 - Submitted additional photos/statements to support our application
07/2016 - SA and AIP (1 week apart)
07/2016 - Medical sent and received
05/2017 - Requested GCMS notes - noticed that we have been waiting on security screening and all other background checks are completed
06/2017 - Reached out to MP to have them check on our status
07/2017 - MP tried to find out what department is doing security screening, but CIC could not provide the info to them
08/2017 - Contacted CSIS directly to request into the status of security screening

It's been just over 2 weeks since we contacted CSIS and saw the DM this morning. I wonder if our request to CSIS helped in moving things along? We plan to call tomorrow to find out whether it is likely that we will have to re-do a medical at this time point. DH is debating on whether to cancel his OWP application (submitted this past weekend) and save $255... We may keep the OWP application going, just in case the next few steps get delayed... *fingers crossed* it's so good to finally see movement on his application!!

What made you directly contact CSIS?

mia1588

Star Member
Jul 25, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
17-05-2019
Med's Request
09-10-2019
Med's Done....
16-10-2019
What made you directly contact CSIS?
Our security screening started before Oct 2016, and has taken over 10 months. Given DH's background, it just didn't make sense why it would take so long, so we wanted to get a better idea on the status of the screening progress. Our lawyer also suggested to contact them since security screening was the only item VO was waiting on before finalizing our application (according to GCMS notes).

Tboychuk

Oct 21, 2015
WPG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-09-2016
Application for Permanent Residency by means of Spousal Sponsorship was received by CIC in Sept of 2016(the "new" package including work permit). Anyone know when I should expect my work permit? I'm not sure exactly how it works with the work permit.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Application for Permanent Residency by means of Spousal Sponsorship was received by CIC in Sept of 2016(the "new" package including work permit). Anyone know when I should expect my work permit? I'm not sure exactly how it works with the work permit.
The "new" package didn't come out until December 15 2016.

If you applied in September 2016, and included a work permit application (and the correct fees), and have yet to receive that permit.... There is a problem. It's 4 months to get the OWP.

Were you out of status when you applied? Did you pay an additional $255 ($155 + $100) for the work permit?

Reactions: sylvain1

TempestD

Jan 28, 2014
App. Filed.......
29-09-2016
AOR Received.
29-10-016
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
upfront
LANDED..........
08-12-2017
Your question is ambiguous. So, the next step is likely that earth will be visited by an alien race, and will help us to build warp technology so we can wage wars in other places -- because what's new places if they don't have humans waging war in them???

If you can provide some details about your case, I would be happy to include my opinion about next steps...
:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017

What?!? It's true isn't it :D

What's even funnier, is the the Canadian arm of General Dynamics (think, US military machine supplier), wants to know if I'd be interested in being a "Software Architect" for their land systems (missile defense, tanks, APCs, etc).

I don't know how far back you might have read my posts, but my career has been in Software Engineering, but I have also spent time in Telecommunications Engineering as well; in a previous life. So it's in my "wheelhouse" of career possibilities.

I'm a simple Canadian boy. I dispise armed conflict. So, you have your answer. They even offered a yuuge sum of cash (read: tens of thousands was the number put out by them; I just wanted to work from home!) for me to "relocate" 45min down the 401 in London..

Total irony in timing. Ya, no thanks.

Last edited:

Tboychuk

Oct 21, 2015
WPG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-09-2016
The "new" package didn't come out until December 15 2016.

If you applied in September 2016, and included a work permit application (and the correct fees), and have yet to receive that permit.... There is a problem. It's 4 months to get the OWP.

Were you out of status when you applied? Did you pay an additional $255 ($155 + $100) for the work permit?
Ah I am mistaken about the new package then. I was on a visitor's visa when I applied and didn't bother extending afterwards because I was assured that while my application is in progress I am safe with my status. As for the fee for OWP, I have two receipts from CIC, one for $1040 and one for $255. I might not have included it with the application and sent it separately instead, that would explain it. Anything I can do in that case?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Ah I am mistaken about the new package then. I was on a visitor's visa when I applied and didn't bother extending afterwards because I was assured that while my application is in progress I am safe with my status. As for the fee for OWP, I have two receipts from CIC, one for $1040 and one for $255. I might not have included it with the application and sent it separately instead, that would explain it. Anything I can do in that case?
Were you in status when you applied?

sylvain1

Champion Member
Nov 2, 2016
Quebec
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
12-08-2015
AOR Received.
07-11-2015
Med's Request
07-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
26-05-2017
Saw PR side DM'd this morning! Were they waiting for us to submit a OWP application before they were willing to give us a DM? LOL
Congratulations!

Tboychuk

Oct 21, 2015
WPG
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
14-09-2016
I was in status when I sent the application, possibly not when it was recieved. I'm checking my e-mail now and it said:
This letter refers to your application for an Open Work Permit.

Qualifying foreign nationals who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law parter in Canad (SCLPC) class may be issued an open work permit if they meet eligibility requirements.

As a foreign national in Canada who currently does not have valid temporary resident status, you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit until such time that your application for Permanent Residence will be processed from within Canada. Your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit will be issued to you