+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship (Few questions)

nosocks

Jun 17, 2017
Hi, I've posted here once before and got great responses so I'm back again (and clueless)

My Wife and 9 month old child are currently staying with me in Canada (No Visitors Permit) and we're planning on sending the application with them residing here. I have a few questions regarding the application process:

In the application IMM5533e (Supporting Documents For Sponsored Persons) Identity Documents, Travel documents and passports: It asks "If you the principal applicant are living in Canada provide proof of your status in Canada."
My Wife has to return home (United States) in a months time, July 5th. (She told the CBSA officer that she would only be staying 151 days) and we've just assumed she has to go home at that time. The Officer didn't send her through to get another more detailed inspection like last time, no visa, nothing. Just "You're going to be staying with your husband, you can't work, you know the drill"

1. Does she have to go home at that time?
2. How do we prove that she's residing in Canada, or can we even?

My Child was born in the United States with me as the Father and my Wife as the mother, we cannot prove she is a Canadian Citizen as we can't get her passport pictures to send with the Application (to prove she's a citizen of Canada) because of this Covid ordeal
3. Can I write a letter explaining why I won't be proving that my child is mine and IS entitled to a Canadian Citizenship?

Currently we can only afford the main application fees and NOT the Right of Permanent Residence Fee.
4. How will this affect the application and can I pay it at anytime during processing?

thanks for your help guys, this process is really confusing

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I've posted here once before and got great responses so I'm back again (and clueless)

My Wife and 9 month old child are currently staying with me in Canada (No Visitors Permit) and we're planning on sending the application with them residing here. I have a few questions regarding the application process:

In the application IMM5533e (Supporting Documents For Sponsored Persons) Identity Documents, Travel documents and passports: It asks "If you the principal applicant are living in Canada provide proof of your status in Canada."
My Wife has to return home (United States) in a months time, July 5th. (She told the CBSA officer that she would only be staying 151 days) and we've just assumed she has to go home at that time. The Officer didn't send her through to get another more detailed inspection like last time, no visa, nothing. Just "You're going to be staying with your husband, you can't work, you know the drill"

1. Does she have to go home at that time?
2. How do we prove that she's residing in Canada, or can we even?

My Child was born in the United States with me as the Father and my Wife as the mother, we cannot prove she is a Canadian Citizen as we can't get her passport pictures to send with the Application (to prove she's a citizen of Canada) because of this Covid ordeal
3. Can I write a letter explaining why I won't be proving that my child is mine and IS entitled to a Canadian Citizenship?

Currently we can only afford the main application fees and NOT the Right of Permanent Residence Fee.
4. How will this affect the application and can I pay it at anytime during processing?

thanks for your help guys, this process is really confusing
1. No. If she didn't get a stamp in her passport or a Visitor Record, she can stay 6 months and can apply before that to extend her stay to remain longer.

2. You just give her entry date and explain she didn't get a stamp on entry. If she came by plane, you can include a copy of the ticket.

3. Do you mean scans of the child's Canadian passport? Did you already obtain a Certificate of Citizenship?

4. It could delay the app later on if IRCC must request the payment. Yes, you can pay it at any point.

Reactions: nosocks

nosocks

Jun 17, 2017
1. No. If she didn't get a stamp in her passport or a Visitor Record, she can stay 6 months and can apply before that to extend her stay to remain longer.

2. You just give her entry date and explain she didn't get a stamp on entry. If she came by plane, you can include a copy of the ticket.

3. Do you mean scans of the child's Canadian passport? Did you already obtain a Certificate of Citizenship?

4. It could delay the app later on if IRCC must request the payment. Yes, you can pay it at any point.

Hi, Thank you for your reply.

For the babies certificate we found a place that's willing to accept appointments ONLY for ID pictures. That's no longer an issue, thank god.

My last and probably not final question is: If we send this application before the 6 months is up and lets say (theoretically) we don't get an extension on her visa; can she stay till the application is finalized since it's in-land?
Also, where might I look for an application for an extension. I don't think I could handle having my wife and little one go back to the states again.

edit: sorry for another question:
in IMM 5533e Page 8 it asks Are you and your spouse currently living together?
I chose YES, it then asks to provide proof eg. joint bank acc, joint rental agreement, vehicle insurance ect.

Should I then just answer NO, or will that contradict what I answered earlier about in-land sponsorship?
What do I do, and have any of you had this situation?

Last edited: