Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Hi! I'm planning on sponsoring my spouse for immigration to Canada next year. We have a 13-year relationship and we're married with a son, so proving the genuineness of the relationship will be a non-issue. However, I have a daughter in Canada from a previous marriage. I have a good relationship with her, and her mother and I continue to be on good terms. My issue is related to child support. I can't remember (it was years ago!) whether the court dictated a certain child-support payment schedule when we divorced, but my ex-wife and I have always just worked this out on our own as my employment has changed over the years and I've been in and out of the country. She's always been satisfied with this arrangement, and I frequently give my daughter money, gifts, etc. directly. Here are my questions:

1. Is "court-ordered child support" a given with every divorce involving children? Or is this specific to situations where the divorcing parties have disagreements and the court gets involved, etc.?

2. Should I include a letter from my ex-wife stating that I've fulfilled my financial obligations as a father? Is such a letter likely to satisfy the official in charge of my case? Should such a letter include dollar amounts?

3. What further documentary evidence is necessary, or likely to prevent delays in our application? This will be very difficult to document because I've spent most of the past few years out of the country as a stay-at-home father and child support (which comes basically from my current wife's salary) gets wired to my parents on a very irregular basis and lumped together with other money I send them. Then, it passes to my ex-wife from my parents in cash-form.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
It's all irrelevant. Tick the box on the form that says your 'divorced', answer the subsequently related questions appropriately, and include your 'divorce certificate' as part of the documentation that you provide. There's no financial evaluation for spousal sponsorship.

KRM

Feb 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
truesmile said:
It's all irrelevant. Tick the box on the form that says your 'divorced', answer the subsequently related questions appropriately, and include your 'divorce certificate' as part of the documentation that you provide. There's no financial evaluation for spousal sponsorship.
Thanks for the reply! According to CIC, having "defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support" is cause to be considered ineligible as a sponsor. This is what has me worried.

KRM

Feb 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
I forgot to mention that I'm a Canadian citizen and that I sponsored my ex-wife (my daughter's mother) to Canada in 2000, a relationship that ended in divorce. She did receive social assistance for a brief period during my obligation period, which I have since paid back in full (I'm including a letter from the relevant provincial office that confirms my repayment with my app). Obviously, with this huge red flag already hovering over my application, I'd like to make my case as airtight as possible. Thanks again to anyone with advice.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
I don't think it's a "biggie". That "undertaking" has long since expired, what 10 years ago?! I've heard rumours of a lot worse.

waitingonforever

Jun 11, 2013
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2012
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
10-10-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
13-05-2013
Passport Req..
in the hands of the visa office from the time of interview/ DM October 20/2013
VISA ISSUED...
not soon enough
LANDED..........
couldn't be soon enough
The key word is "court ordered" if your not in default of a court order for child support payments and aren't in any "documented" arrears...you should be fine..I would include a letter from the ex-wife that you do pay for your daughter...CIC is basically worried about the "court order for child support" being not paid or if your in arrears.

KRM

Feb 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
truesmile said:
I don't think it's a "biggie". That "undertaking" has long since expired, what 10 years ago?! I've heard rumours of a lot worse.
That's what I think, too (although the undertaking was longer at that time...7 years? 10 years? can't remember)...

KRM

Feb 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-03-2014
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
waitingonforever said:
The key word is "court ordered" if your not in default of a court order for child support payments and aren't in any "documented" arrears...you should be fine..I would include a letter from the ex-wife that you do pay for your daughter...CIC is basically worried about the "court order for child support" being not paid or if your in arrears.
Thanks...that was one of my questions. I'm not sure if a court order is something that comes out of every divorce that involves children (I can't remember any specific such document coming out of my divorce) or if it's something that's issued as the result of a parent failing to make payments and being brought to court.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Mikecanada

Sep 13, 2015
Hi! I'm planning on sponsoring my spouse for immigration to Canada next year. We have a 13-year relationship and we're married with a son, so proving the genuineness of the relationship will be a non-issue. However, I have a daughter in Canada from a previous marriage. I have a good relationship with her, and her mother and I continue to be on good terms. My issue is related to child support. I can't remember (it was years ago!) whether the court dictated a certain child-support payment schedule when we divorced, but my ex-wife and I have always just worked this out on our own as my employment has changed over the years and I've been in and out of the country. She's always been satisfied with this arrangement, and I frequently give my daughter money, gifts, etc. directly. Here are my questions:

1. Is "court-ordered child support" a given with every divorce involving children? Or is this specific to situations where the divorcing parties have disagreements and the court gets involved, etc.?

2. Should I include a letter from my ex-wife stating that I've fulfilled my financial obligations as a father? Is such a letter likely to satisfy the official in charge of my case? Should such a letter include dollar amounts?

3. What further documentary evidence is necessary, or likely to prevent delays in our application? This will be very difficult to document because I've spent most of the past few years out of the country as a stay-at-home father and child support (which comes basically from my current wife's salary) gets wired to my parents on a very irregular basis and lumped together with other money I send them. Then, it passes to my ex-wife from my parents in cash-form.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mikecanada

Sep 13, 2015
Hi KRM : Could you please tell that did you need a letter from the ex-wife that you do pay for your daughter. Please explain that did CIC ask about any clarification? Thank you