+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Birth Certificate for Applicant

ConfusedandInLove

Sep 14, 2016
Hello,

We are busy completing the Spousal Sponsorship forms and I'd like to know if I'll need to submit an unabridged birth certificate for myself (I am the applicant)? I have an abridged certificate which shows my full name and place of birth but I do not have an unabridged certificate that shows my parents' names. Does anyone perhaps know if this is necessary? My spouse is Canadian and only has a birth certificate with his name. I am South African if that helps. :)

Thank you!

81jim

Jun 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
29-11-2016
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
05-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2017
LANDED..........
25-04-2017
I'm not 100% sure on this one, but I did have a quick look at the CIC site, and they don't have any particular country-specific instructions for South African birth certificates, and a quick look at the South African Department of Home Affairs seems to suggest that only babies born in wedlock get the unabridged version upon the registration of their birth, while all other babies born out of wedlock get the abridged version... while I guess it'd be possible (and at least not too expensive) to apply for the unabridged one, my first thoughts are that the one you've already got SHOULD suffice, and I'll bet you want to get this thing sent off and processed rather than waiting for more and more things, right? :)

ConfusedandInLove

Sep 14, 2016
Thank you for your time! And giving me a bit of a scare LOL (the out of wedlock thing, not that I have anything against that!) but my parents were married when I was born, must've changed the rules since then. This birth certificate really has me stressing since it is almost impossible to get all the paperwork I need to apply for an unabridged birth certificate (and they say it could take up to 6 months), my father is deceased and they need copies of documents of his that my mum just can't find in my storage, a whole box full of administrative papers has disappeared!! :eek:

But thank you so much for your answer, I will try calling them again, but I never seem to get any straight answers out of them, and in the interim we will just use what I've got! Now to get it translated.... :)

ruanp28

Feb 24, 2016
I know this post is old, but did you manage to figure out whether an unabridged is necessary? I also need to start my application (in South Africa), and as you know the Dept. of Home Affairs is a nightmare to get anything from. Will a normal certificate suffice? TIA