+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit

JyothiJakkana

Jun 13, 2019
You will have to thoughtfully prepare your file. I would recommend to apply for a tourist visa first for your husband. That's rather easy to get, once your husband reaches Canada then apply for his open work permit then the chances of rejection will be negligible. Though processing time for SOWP from Canada is longer than India but i believe given the scenerio, it is worth taking the risk.
Morning!
I have heard from my lawyer, that once the sowp is refused, visitor visa will also be refused as they know the purpose.
In my first applications i have shown my marriage certificate as the only proof of relationship, not even one photograph. So i am thinking to go for sowp with more detailed explanations and proofs. Will that be a good idea? Can you advise me how to make my file strong with what documents .

Anchal:

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Morning!
I have heard from my lawyer, that once the sowp is refused, visitor visa will also be refused as they know the purpose.
In my first applications i have shown my marriage certificate as the only proof of relationship, not even one photograph. So i am thinking to go for sowp with more detailed explanations and proofs. Will that be a good idea? Can you advise me how to make my file strong with what documents .
Ohh.. i didn't know you had a rejection for SOWP already. Your lawyer is right, you should try for SOWP again with a strong explanation. How long was your course for. Is it 2 year course or 1 year?

HDG

Jun 10, 2014
Hi Experts,
Need your help.
I am an international student in Canada since Sep 2019 for a two year course. I am planning to apply for my wife's OWP and my 12 year old kid on a study permit (from outside Canada)

Could you be able to help me what documents are required exactly. I am asking coz after I filled the details in come to Canada tool. It does not give any information of documents required other than Passport, photos and marriage certificate.

Please help. Look forward to hearing from you.
please help guys

mstra

Jul 14, 2018
Hi Experts.....
For my wife SWOP & my 2 kids Study permit (10yo son & 6 yo daughter)

online application on 30 dec,
NDVO Acknowledgement letter 12 jan
2nd Acknowledgement letter 27 Jan (9am)
Medical request on 27 jan (4pm)
Medical passed on 5th feb,

after that, no update
Experts please guide how long time can take to get decision after medical and its good sign if got medical request ?

tnx.

Last edited:

sarabjit.21

Aug 21, 2019
Hi everyone
I m a student in Conestoga applied for my husband's open work permit.it has been 3mnths that we have applied,can someone tell me like how long will it take .
Thank u
Hello Laxmi,
Can you please help me with how many months you took to apply for your husband's SOWP after you enrolled in the study program?

sarabjit.21

Aug 21, 2019
Got Approved today!

Applied 20th septembee 2019
Review Started and Approved 25th December 2019
Hi romanoberoi,

Can you please guide me?
Did you apply for SOWP while your spouse was studying? If yes, then how many you waited to apply after her studies started? I want to apply while my wife will be studying in Canada.

sarabjit.21

Aug 21, 2019
Inland - apply for visa while the person is in Canada and Outland means when person is in another country. Most of people get the visitor visa and go to Canada and then apply for SOWP there and that is why I asked about it.
I see, Thanks for the quick response!

aj534160

Apr 13, 2019
Hello All,

I have a query and hope one of you can assist

My spouse in interested to study a PGD in IT (she is a Master of science in IT degree holder in Indian) in an university in Canada and I too want to accompany her along. We met few consultants where some are telling to file the student visa first and once the student visa is approved, I can file the SOWP. I mean, I want to accompany her along and is there a way to do that.

I can prove my ties to the nation that I have a single mother in India ->My Employer will hire me once I'm back -> Also, I can demonstrate that my spouse will need my company to aid her in assisting in her college studies, be a moral and financial support to her due to the Covid crisis and all.

Also, I can show up to 8000 CAD in my account (after my spouse's college fees and her GIC amount).

So can one of you let me know the documents needed, Financial requirements and other best practices to ensure that I travel along with my spouse and also the SOWP not get rejected?

I work at Wipro as an IT admin and is my only employer. Would be immensely helpful if one of you could assist

raturiv

Aug 3, 2017
Hi,

My husband will apply for study visa for Jan 2021 intake, so as his spouse I can apply for OWP together! Is it advisable to apply in one application or should I wait for my husband's visa and then apply for my OWP? Will we be able to fly together seeking the current visa processing time?

Also I have studied in Canada when I was unmarried, did post graduate advance diploma & returned back to my home country (India) later on. For your information I have exhausted my one time post graduate work visa. I graduated from Canadian institution in 2014 and returned to India 2017. Will this affect our or my application now?

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Vineeta R. Kumar

Reactions: Lola2019

aj534160

Apr 13, 2019
Hi,

My husband will apply for study visa for Jan 2021 intake, so as his spouse I can apply for OWP together! Is it advisable to apply in one application or should I wait for my husband's visa and then apply for my OWP? Will we be able to fly together seeking the current visa processing time?

Also I have studied in Canada when I was unmarried, did post graduate advance diploma & returned back to my home country (India) later on. For your information I have exhausted my one time post graduate work visa. I graduated from Canadian institution in 2014 and returned to India 2017. Will this affect our or my application now?

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Vineeta R. Kumar
You had 3 years time from 2014 to 17 but did not make use of it at all????
Anyways, yes, few of my friends got their spouse study visa done -> they applied the SOWP-> got it -> traveled together
Some ppl faced refusals as well.
Depends on luck and case to case

raturiv

Aug 3, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I came back for some personal reason, I know there were ways to go back but had to stay. Nevertheless thank you so much
So your friends applied study visa first & then SOWP or together in one application.

mandy87

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
So i have applied for sowp on 19 july 2020 and got biometric request on same day. But as biometric centres are closed, i am not able to do it.. will they till process the application? Anyone else in the same boat?