+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit query

Dally

Oct 16, 2006
Hi All,

I was hoping to get some knowledgeable advice from the helpful users of this forum in my specific case.

I’m currently on my 2nd Work Permit - implied status (expired June 14th, 2009) and currently waiting for an extension of my Work Permit. In addition, I do have an application for Permanent Residency (Skilled Worker) in process since August 2006 (Medicals done – have an interview waiting to be scheduled).

I recently got married in April, 2009. My wife is currently residing abroad in Russia. I’ve added her to my PR application recently and was hoping to bring her to live with me here.

My wife previously applied for a Canadian visitor/tourist visa in February, 2009 and was denied for the generic reasons (Won’t return to her home country etc.) even though she’s had visa’s from countries such as the U.S., Japan, S.Korea etc. She’s currently working full-time back home and has assets such as an apartment, car, land etc.

I am aware that she can apply for an open work permit, once I get my Work Permit extension approved and then would be able to come here. I know that the open work permit is not 100% guaranteed and depends on various requirements and circumstances.

I am in process of preparing the application for the open work permit for her. I know of the required documents that are necessary as per the application process. But what I am looking for is additional documentation that I can provide that would help make her application strong and solid.

Would you’ll be able to suggest any additional documents and things I would need to do or provide, in order to make her application strong and hope that she will get her open work permit approved, as I really miss her dearly, being newly wed and in love.

Thanks for your help in advance.

pelchi02

Dec 17, 2008
Can someone give me more info on the Spousal Open Work Permit?

I'm already here in Edmonton.. I'm a preschool teacher in a daycare. Can my husband come here under the SOWP?
What are the requirements.
What are the steps I need to follow.

Thanks and I hope I can get a reply soon..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to be on a skilled work permit, 0, A or B. If your husband needs a visa to visit Canada, he will need to apply for one and he will need to prove that he will leave when his visa expires. Once he's in Canada, he can apply for an open work permit. If he doesn't need a visa, he can just come and apply for his open work permit as he enters Canada.

It's not guaranteed that he will get a visa if he needs one. The most common reason people are denied a visa is that immigration is not convinced they will leave again.

vivenhs

Nov 27, 2008
Hi,
I have submitted my application for a Work Permit (NOC 0). When granted, we intend to apply for SOWP for my wife and 4 kids. Leaving Canada again will be an issue -What are my chances to get SOWP and visa for my kids? Your tips/advise please.

vivenhs

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can not give you any numbers for the odds of succeeding. Just that if you come from a visa exempt country, once you get your work permit, you go to Canada with your wife and 4 kids and when you arrive, apply for a work permit for your spouse and normally it would be granted. If however, you and your family need a visa to go to Canada, it's never a 100% that it will be granted. They may refuse your work permit based on you being likely to overstay or if you apply for your work permit first and tell them you will not overstay because you are leaving your family behind, they may refuse your family a visa because they believe that they will overstay. If you need a visa for you and your family, try to show proof that you will return to your homeland when your work permit expires.

vivenhs

Nov 27, 2008
Hi Leon. My employer wanted me on board soon and I'm looking for ways to fast track my family's travel to Canada. Since my positive LMO is for a job under NOC 0. i'm also planning to apply as FSW3. I' will do both and hope i can get them their visa, land and wait for PR procession within Canada.

Thanks so much,

vivenhs

Dally

Oct 16, 2006
Hi Leon,

Following up on my initial post... In relation to trying to get the OWP and TRV for my spouse. The following is the documentation that we've collected so far on her behalf inclusive. I will also provide additional documentation on my behalf to add to her application. Where required, the following documents were translated, certified and notarized.

*International Passport
*Internal Passport
*Birth Certificate
*Marriage Certificate
*Bank Certificate - Proof of funds (15K)
*Current Employment Letter
*Work Book (Employment experience)
*Certificate of Ownership/Deeds - Assets (Apartment, Land, Car)
*Resume
*Letter of Intent
*Proof of relationship (Emails, Money Orders, Letters, Photos)

If you can suggest of other documents that I could provide, it would be much appreciated.

Are there any other options or possibilities for us to be together right now? As the only way now is with me making expensive trips abroad to be with her for a week at a time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Add something about your wifes family in old country which is why she would surely return there, aging parents or the like.

Dally

Oct 16, 2006
Thanks Leon for your reply

She does have two parents who have recently retired. In terms of her returning home, would she have to mention that she would return to her parental home? Or return with me to my parental home which is in another country?

In terms of applying for a TRV and the OWP. There are 2 options. First option is that she could apply for an Open Work Permit at the Canadian embassy in her country and then once she get its, could then apply for a Visitor Visa for Canada. Second option is that she could apply for a visitor visa first and then apply for a apply for an Open Work Permit once she's in Canada.

I am wondering which approach could she take, which would would be beneficial or more effective.

Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

benchioa

Dec 5, 2008
Hi, my wife got her open spousal work visa back in the Philippines. She went to the POEA to get exit clearance but the people there told her that she doesn't need it. I would like to ask if there is any forum member here that have exit the airport without exit clearance with an open spousal visa. I would be a big hassel if immigration in the airport would prevent here from boarding the plane. Thank you.

vivenhs

Nov 27, 2008
Hi benchioa,

I have applied for a WP and will soon be in the same situation as yours. Previous thread on this forum is consistent with what POEA people have told your wife - an OWP holder is not required to have the exit clearance since it's an open permit and have no contract to validate.

I think she can board the plane with no hassle. Are you already in Canada? How about your kids, are you able to get them TRV?

Thanks,
vivenhs

benchioa

Dec 5, 2008
Hi Vivenhs,

Thanks for the reply, I am already in Canada and I was able to get a TRV for my daughter who is 5 years old. Good luck on you wp application.

Benchioa