+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OPEN WORK PERMIT EXTENSION QUERIES

sujithcs18

Dec 24, 2016
Hello,

I have couple of questions regarding open work permit extension. Before I go ahead, I would like to share some details. My wife is currently studying one year program (graduate certificate) and her study permit expires on 31st Aug 2017. On the same day my open work permit expires too.

1. After this day, my wife should be getting her work visa automatically (valid for an year I assume). Will I be getting my open work permit extension automatically?

2. If I have to apply for an extension, when would be the ideal time to apply. I mean how many days/months back should I have to apply for an extension before VISA gets expired?

3. Can I work during this extension process? Can I stay in Canada during this extension process?

4. If I switch to a new job (say in Feb 2017) before current expiry date (31 Aug 2017), should I have to obtain open work permit again?

5. Say when my VISA is about to get expired (31 AUg 2017), if I am offered a contract job for next six months, can I use this and apply for my open work permit extension?

6. Will the type of job type matters for open work permit extension? Contract, full time etc..

Please let me know if more details are required to address my queries.

Regards,
Sujith

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sujithcs18 said:
1. After this day, my wife should be getting her work visa automatically (valid for an year I assume). Will I be getting my open work permit extension automatically?

2. If I have to apply for an extension, when would be the ideal time to apply. I mean how many days/months back should I have to apply for an extension before VISA gets expired?

3. Can I work during this extension process? Can I stay in Canada during this extension process?

4. If I switch to a new job (say in Feb 2017) before current expiry date (31 Aug 2017), should I have to obtain open work permit again?

5. Say when my VISA is about to get expired (31 AUg 2017), if I am offered a contract job for next six months, can I use this and apply for my open work permit extension?

6. Will the type of job type matters for open work permit extension? Contract, full time etc..
Hi

1. Work permits are not automatic. Your wife will need to apply for her PGWP. In order for you to qualify for an OWP based on her PGWP, she must be working in a NOC A, B or 0 job. If she is not already working in a skilled job when she applies for her PGWP, you will need to apply to change your status to visitor.

2. You should apply before your status expires.

3. Dependent on 1. If your spouse has a skilled job and you apply for an OWP with her PGWP, then you can continue working. If your spouse doesn't have a skilled job and you need to apply for visitor status, you must stop working as soon as your current OWP expires. You can stay in Canada in both situations while you wait for an answer from IRCC.

4. It's an OPEN work permit. You can switch employers if you want.

5. No, being offered a contract does not allow you to extend your work permit.

6. You can't apply for an extension with just a job offer, regardless of the job type.

sujithcs18

Dec 24, 2016
Thank you for the response. I have a question regarding the reply "If she is not already working in a skilled job when she applies for her PGWP". How can my wife work without obtaining her work permit. She is a full time student and has a valid study permit valid till 31st Aug 2017. Can you please clarify.

If my employer gives me an LMIA, will I be able to convert my OWP to work permit? I am looking for ways to remove the dependency on my wife's PGWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sujithcs18 said:
Thank you for the response. I have a question regarding the reply "If she is not already working in a skilled job when she applies for her PGWP". How can my wife work without obtaining her work permit. She is a full time student and has a valid study permit valid till 31st Aug 2017. Can you please clarify.

If my employer gives me an LMIA, will I be able to convert my OWP to work permit? I am looking for ways to remove the dependency on my wife's PGWP.
Students are allowed to work.

Yes, you can apply for a closed work permit if your employer obtains a positive LMIA.

sorooshk59

Jan 23, 2020
Hello , I have question about my wife open work permit too. im in master program to be a therapist. what if i start working in my private practice like a self employee, after i got my certificate. can my wife extend her open work permit. where can i find some information about it.

PantherOct2017

Oct 21, 2017
HELLO, I BADLY NEEDED HELP. IF SOMEONE COULD ANSWER MY QUERY. WE APPLIED FOR FAMILY SPONSORSHIP (INLAND) AND I WAS GRANTED AN OPEN WORK PERMIT. DECISION IS STILL
PENDING AND SO WE RE APPLIED EXTENSION OF OPEN WORK PERMIT (EXTEND CONDITION OF STAY) AS IT EXPIRING MARCH 15. I ALREADY GOT A REQUEST FOR BIOMETRICS A WEEK AFTER IT WAS SENT BUT STILL HAVENT RECEIVE THE NEW DOCUMENT. DECISION ON THE SPONSORSHIP IS STILL PENDING. COULD I STILL CONTINUE TO WORK AFTER MARCH 15 ( IMPLIED STATUS ) OR NOT. PLEASE HELP.

PantherOct2017

Oct 21, 2017
HELLO,

I BADLY NEEDED HELP. IF SOMEONE COULD ANSWER MY QUERY. WE APPLIED FOR FAMILY SPONSORSHIP (INLAND) AND I WAS GRANTED AN OPEN WORK PERMIT. DECISION IS STILL PENDING AND SO WE RE APPLIED EXTENSION OF OPEN WORK PERMIT (EXTEND CONDITION OF STAY) AS IT EXPIRING MARCH 15. I ALREADY GOT A REQUEST FOR BIOMETRICS A WEEK AFTER IT WAS SENT BUT STILL HAVENT RECEIVE THE NEW DOCUMENT. DECISION ON THE SPONSORSHIP IS STILL PENDING. COULD I STILL CONTINUE TO WORK AFTER MARCH 15 ( IMPLIED STATUS ) OR NOT. PLEASE HELP. THANKS

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
HELLO, I BADLY NEEDED HELP. IF SOMEONE COULD ANSWER MY QUERY. WE APPLIED FOR FAMILY SPONSORSHIP (INLAND) AND I WAS GRANTED AN OPEN WORK PERMIT. DECISION IS STILL
PENDING AND SO WE RE APPLIED EXTENSION OF OPEN WORK PERMIT (EXTEND CONDITION OF STAY) AS IT EXPIRING MARCH 15. I ALREADY GOT A REQUEST FOR BIOMETRICS A WEEK AFTER IT WAS SENT BUT STILL HAVENT RECEIVE THE NEW DOCUMENT. DECISION ON THE SPONSORSHIP IS STILL PENDING. COULD I STILL CONTINUE TO WORK AFTER MARCH 15 ( IMPLIED STATUS ) OR NOT. PLEASE HELP.
Turn off the CAPS lock. It's considered yelling and rude.

You can keep working on Implied Status.