+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Converting Closed work permit to Spousal open work permit

prawin_pv

May 20, 2013
Hello,

I have an interesting scenario with my work permit status. Anyone with expertise in similar situation, please advise.

I am currently on a LMO work permit and my wife has a spousal open work permit and both of us are in alberta. Currently, my wife has got a job offer from an employer and we have requested the employer to file an LMO work permit (closed) for my wife, though she can work on her open work permit.
Once my wife's LMO work permit is approved, I want to change my work permit from current LMO WP to spousal dependent open work permit. have few questions here in this regard.

1. I would continue to work for the same employer for next few months. If I submit an application to change my current LMO work permit to spousal Open work permit, will it prohibit me from continuing to work for my current employer?
2. Will CIC issue an open work permit when I currently hold a closed LMO work permit?
3. Do I need to go out of the country and re-enter in this case?
4. I have a temporary resident visa applied for me and my wife on behalf of my current lmo work permit. DO I need to have a new visa if I change my work permit status?

Cheers,
Praveen

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) You can work for the same employer if you like.

2) It is possible as long as you meet requirements and send in the correct forms and proof with your application (i. e., your wife's work permit and NOC code/job description and duties). Of course, no one here can say whether or not you will get it 100% - that is up to CIC.

3) No, you're changing your status. Should be fine.

4) No, you can use the old one.