+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal landing - border crossing

trackgal1

Star Member
Jul 20, 2017
We did, in fact, cross through the Niagara Falls border crossing. Why is this not called out on the COPR notice? And elsewhere, where it is mentioned, why is it called a pilot program, instead of the ONLY program and option available to those crossing the border at these locations? I don't get this, much less the snarkiness (Yes, the agent, I spoke with, also didnt give a sh*t about that we were driving back with a 14 month old).

Good job with shitty customer service CBSA! You are right down there with US immigrations now :p I called IRCC today, and was advised the Etobicoke office would be in touch with appointment availability.

Overall, this has been a pretty disappointing experience
It's impossible for CIC to know where you're going to be doing your border crossing at, and whether it will be by land or air. It's your responsibility to call CBSA and figure out when they allow people to land at specific ports and whether flagpoling is allowed or not. The Niagara Falls border likely just has restrictions on when they do immigration and when flagpoling is allowed. Did you happen to go on a weekend? Lots of ports of entry don't allow flagpoling on weekends since they're usually much busier.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
How long is your CoPR valid for? Couldn't you just do the landing on your way back from India? That way you don't have to worry about whether their PR Cards would arrive on time.

I know it means waiting longer for them to be PRs, but considering they crossed the border with you just recently, they should have valid visitor status up until you leave for the trip in June.

Do they already have OHIP (assuming Ontario)? They should already qualify now, even before the landing has taken place, considering you have the CoPR and their application has been approved.

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
How long is your CoPR valid for? Couldn't you just do the landing on your way back from India? That way you don't have to worry about whether their PR Cards would arrive on time.

I know it means waiting longer for them to be PRs, but considering they crossed the border with you just recently, they should have valid visitor status up until you leave for the trip in June.

Do they already have OHIP (assuming Ontario)? They should already qualify now, even before the landing has taken place, considering you have the CoPR and their application has been approved.
I’m pretty sure that you have to officially land to be eligible for OHIP. Even after landing and becoming PR there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
I’m pretty sure that you have to officially land to be eligible for OHIP. Even after landing and becoming PR there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP.
No,

Inland applicants can get OHIP after they receive "Approval in Principle" because it meets the requirements of the regulation determining eligibility under the Health Insurance Act (Ontario).

"Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied."

Source: Health Insurance Act R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 552, Subsection 1.4 paragraph 5

Perhaps I should nuance then that the application should have been inland (but by the sounds of it in the OP's case it was) and his wife and child should be eligible. And yes, that is subject to the waiting period.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
No,

Inland applicants can get OHIP after they receive "Approval in Principle" because it meets the requirements of the regulation determining eligibility under the Health Insurance Act (Ontario).

"Being a person who has submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada to the proper federal government authority, even if the application has not yet been approved, as long as Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that the person meets the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residency in Canada, and the application has not yet been denied."

Source: Health Insurance Act R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 552, Subsection 1.4 paragraph 5

Perhaps I should nuance then that the application should have been inland (but by the sounds of it in the OP's case it was) and his wife and child should be eligible. And yes, that is subject to the waiting period.
The fact that they crossed the border to land tells you their application was outland, not inland. Inland applicants are automatically scheduled a landing appointment.

Outland applicants are not issued an AIP letter to bring to prove they are eligible for OHIP

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
The fact that they crossed the border to land tells you their application was outland, not inland. Inland applicants are automatically scheduled a landing appointment.

Outland applicants are not issued an AIP letter to bring to prove they are eligible for OHIP
From what I understood in a previous post, they were given the option to schedule an appointment, or cross the border. They chose to cross the border. The applicants had also already been in Canada since April 2017.

And yes, you are right, no AIP on outland applications.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
From what I understood in a previous post, they were given the option to schedule an appointment, or cross the border. They chose to cross the border. The applicants had also already been in Canada since April 2017.

And yes, you are right, no AIP on outland applications.
Yes, when an outland applicant who is already living in Canada receives their COPR in the mail, they are given the option to either flagpole at the border, or call and request a landing appointment. Completely different process from inland applicants who are automatically scheduled a landing appointment upon receiving DM.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Yes, when an outland applicant who is already living in Canada receives their COPR in the mail, they are given the option to either flagpole at the border, or call and request a landing appointment. Completely different process from inland applicants who are automatically scheduled a landing appointment upon receiving DM.
Thanks,

Didn't realize that the landing appointment was automatically scheduled for inland.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thanks,

Didn't realize that the landing appointment was automatically scheduled for inland.
Yeah, it's actually pretty inconvenient... you are expected to drop everything, they just pick a day and time for you. And some people have to travel pretty far.

I was outland living in Canada and chose to cross back into the US to do my landing (mainly because I had a bunch of stuff in the US I needed to bring across when I landed anyways) and I was nervous they weren't going to let me because they've been so strict about the flagpoling thing, even though I was legitimately coming from the US with stuff in tow.

Reactions: evdm

lpit

Star Member
Oct 29, 2012
We got an appointment with Etobicoke office in Toronto for April 3. The scheduling turn around was a couple days, so pretty quick. I compiled a list of documents to carry to the interview based on the letter I received, and some research I did -

1. appointment invitation letter
  2. passport
  3. photographs
  4. COPR
  5. COPR notice (IRCC letter that came in with the COPR)
  6. Visitor Visa Extension
  7. Application fee payment receipt
  8. screenshot of fee payment CIC webpage that shows individual items adding up to the total amount on my receipt
We included the last item since the receipt #7 I have doesnt provide an itemized breakdown. The original payment I made includes the option to pay fees with RPRF.

Would you guys please mind reviewing once and weighing in if you think I am missing anything? We would really appreciate your input.

It's impossible for CIC to know where you're going to be doing your border crossing at, and whether it will be by land or air. It's your responsibility to call CBSA and figure out when they allow people to land at specific ports and whether flagpoling is allowed or not. The Niagara Falls border likely just has restrictions on when they do immigration and when flagpoling is allowed. Did you happen to go on a weekend? Lots of ports of entry don't allow flagpoling on weekends since they're usually much busier.
trackgal1, my grievance wasn't CIC not keeping up with my individual plans for landing; but that they could not make the effort to add a single line to the COPR letter to indicate applicants choosing the border crossing option would be dealing with a different agency (CBSA) and hence should follow up with them for scheduling details. The only verbiage in the letter to this effect states there might be extended wait times for service at certain border crossings during weekends, or holidays; so in a way CBSA is (incorrectly) spoken for?