+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal application expiring passport

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
We are sending my wife's spousal PR visa application in on Monday, March 17th (Hong Kong office). We just noticed that her passport expires in November. We are moving to Canada in August. Canada will not let her into the country with less than 6 months on her passport, therefore we will be renewing it before August. I am concerned about her PR visa application because once approved, it is only valid until the expiry date of her passport. Should we renew her passport before sending in the PR visa application? Should we send in the application now as planned and just notify the Hong Kong office with the new passport number when it is received? Or just have both new and old passport when entering Canada? Also, should I write a note and add it to the application package that we will be renewing the passport soon? Thanks again!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions :D

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
How long do you usually wait for the passport renewal in HK?
Coz if it will not take more than 1 month, I would say mail the application with the photocopy of the old passport and make a note that you will be renewing the it this month.

This way, your Sponsorship Approval will already start moving, and after you get your SA in around a month, you can just send the photocopy of the new passport to the Visa office.

By the way, you said you will be sending your application to HK Visa Office?
If this is for Family Sponsorship, all the documents will go through CPC-Mississauga first.

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Thank you for the response. We are actually in Taiwan, and passport renewals are fairly quick here, a matter of weeks if that. The visa app will go to Ont. first for my sponsorship approval, then forwarded to HK for my wife's visa approval. If we send the application with the old passport number, then send a copy of the new passport, will this add any time to the processing time?

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
I don't think so. Just make sure that you send the copy of the new passport when the documents have been forwarded to HK.
Make sure you include the UCI and File Number when sending additional docs to the Visa Office to make sure they can match it with your application file.

Btw, is your spouse visa exempt?

zmikers

Feb 26, 2012
Yes, she is visa exempt now! Taiwanese do not need visas. That is why they closed the visa office here in Taipei and everything needs to go through HK!