Oct 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga and London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/06/2012
I would like to immigrate to Canada via the Family Class route to live with my Canadian wife who lives in Nova Scotia. We have found the official government website (CIC) extremely confusing and would like some help regarding making a application via the Spousal Sponsorship.

I would be grateful if you could answer general questions about this visa application (I have set out the questions to make it easier for replies, the questions can be copied into the reply with answers under each question).

I will apprieciate it if you can only answer some of the questions!!

1. Is it possible to have the application processed quicker than the standard processing stated on the CIC website?

2. On the CIC website it says the 'Right of Permanent Residence Fee' can speed up the application process. Will this reduce the standard processing time stated on the website?

3. Do I have to wait for my wife (sponsor) to complete her application and receive approval before I can make my part of the application as the applicant (I mean are there documents from my wife’s application that I need to add to my own application)? Or can we make our applications at the same time?

4. Will the Sponsor (my wife) need to prove that she has enough money her bank account to show she can financially support me and if so, what is that minimum financial amount?

5. Will CIC request bank checks?

6. Does anyone know of any free services in UK or Canada (Nova Scotia) that will help with this process?

7. Why is the process faster if I am applying for immigration outside of the country

8. Do I have to state that I have children in the application even if they are be part of the application.

Thanks so much!

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
1. Is it possible to have the application processed quicker than the standard processing stated on the CIC website?
-I think on process time stated on the CIC website is on average. From tracking the London Office excel sheet it looks like it usually takes about 120 days for the office to request for passport. Then another 4-5 weeks before you get your passport back.

2. On the CIC website it says the 'Right of Permanent Residence Fee' can speed up the application process. Will this reduce the standard processing time stated on the website?
-It may, basically reduces the time it takes for them to ask for fee, you paying, sending the receipt in, then them processing.

3. Do I have to wait for my wife (sponsor) to complete her application and receive approval before I can make my part of the application as the applicant (I mean are there documents from my wife's application that I need to add to my own application)? Or can we make our applications at the same time?
-You would send the application forms at the same time.

4. Will the Sponsor (my wife) need to prove that she has enough money her bank account to show she can financially support me and if so, what is that minimum financial amount?
-I'm not 100% sure about this. Someone could answer this better than I can.

-Don't believe so, they haven't for our application. Why do you think they would?

6. Does anyone know of any free services in UK or Canada (Nova Scotia) that will help with this process?
-I think this forum is the best place to ask questions and help you with the application.

7. Why is the process faster if I am applying for immigration outside of the country
-Just how it is.

8. Do I have to state that I have children in the application even if they are be part of the application.
-Pretty sure you do. Someone else could answer this better than I can.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
no minimum required for spousal application as long as she is not in receipt of welfare or undischarged bankruptcy

you need to state kids whether they are coming or not and they need to be examined

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) The times on the website are average for 80% of applications. Some applications may be completed faster, others slower, and others much slower than the time stated.

2) The average processing times assume that you pay the fees upfront. Not paying upfront can add up to 60 days to your processing, but it will not decrease the average times shown.

3) Both parts of the spousal application are submitted together.

4) There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse and minor children.

5) No.

6) You're in such a place right here in this forum. As for free in the UK or NS as in one on one, I doubt it.

7) Canadian immigration law requires that applications for permanent residence be done outside the country. Inland applicants have this requirement waived, but that waiver comes at a cost, including a longer processing time.

8) You MUST include any children you have, whether they will accompany you or not. Failure to include your children is a misrepresentation, and it also bars you from ever sponsoring them if this becomes necessary in the future.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gentar said:
I would like to immigrate to Canada via the Family Class route to live with my Canadian wife who lives in Nova Scotia. We have found the official government website (CIC) extremely confusing and would like some help regarding making a application via the Spousal Sponsorship.

I would be grateful if you could answer general questions about this visa application (I have set out the questions to make it easier for replies, the questions can be copied into the reply with answers under each question).

I will apprieciate it if you can only answer some of the questions!!

Yes it is possible if your application is complete and prepared correctly. That includes the quality of the proof of your relationship you submit as well as file organization.

No, it will not necessary speed up the standard processing time. But if your application is well done and gets approved, CIC then has to request the fee, you have to pay it, the visa post must receive notice of payment and then they can issue the visa. You see how you can lose time like this.

3. Do I have to wait for my wife (sponsor) to complete her application and receive approval before I can make my part of the application as the applicant (I mean are there documents from my wife's application that I need to add to my own application)? Or can we make our applications at the same time?

Both applications are submitted at the same time to CPC Mississauga.

No there is no minimum income requirement in spousal sponsorships. You wife must show that she is not in receipt of social assistance or have an undischarged bankruptcy to be financially eligible to sponsor. However, the visa officer assessing the application must also be convinced that if you are approved to become a permanent resident, you will not have to rely on social assistance for daily living. This is relatively easy to do if your wife has a job and you have a history of steady work experience. It is only in pretty extreme circumstances where they use this reason to refuse a permanent resident application as a sponsored spouse.

For what?

Not that I'm aware of.

The principle is that spouses separated by distance are suffering a greater hardship than those that are living together in Canada.

YES - ABSOLUTELY

Thanks so much!

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
8. As far as I know you don't need to include children who hold Canadian citizenship. You will not be sponsoring them because they are already Canadian citizens and therefore there is no need to include them on the applications. I think there might be one form where you need to list your children, but not for the purpose of sponsorship or to obtain permanent residency status.

For my wife and I, we have a child together, so that is a very good indication that our relationship is indeed genuine. We also have loads of pictures, cards, videos, e-mail exchanges, and so on, to prove to the CIC agent that we are serious about relocating to Canada permanently.

Gather as much documentation to prove this to the agent and all should be fine. They are unlikely to refuse your application if you have filled out all forms, supplied documentary evidence, translations, and of course, payment. I would also go ahead and include ALL fees at one time. This should help reduce the amount of time for processing and hopefully you will get your visa faster.

Good luck!