+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship of parents and grandparents for Canadian Permanent Residence

isha94

Star Member
Dec 17, 2013
Hello All,
I wish to sponser my parents in 2014, the age/definition of dependent child will be changed in 2014. My elder son is 19 years, do i exclude him while calculating size of family?

tintin79

Jan 28, 2011
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2011
AOR Received.
28-12-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2011
Interview........
genuineness determined no need for interview
Passport Req..
05-02-2013 and they're still holding on to it as ARC is still in process from Dec 12 2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Rob_TO said:
You could be co-sponsor and combine your incomes together. 2 spouses + 2 kids + 1 mom = family size of 5. Based on 2013 LICO+30% numbers, that would require a total combined income for you and your spouse, of $63,833.

In order to get in under the 5,000 application cutoff, you will need to send the application using incomes from 2010, 2011 and 2012, with all 3 years meeting the minimum. If any particular year you did not meet the LICO+30% amount for that year, then you do not qualify. It does not matter if on maternity leave or not, the rules are very strict.

I guess were ineligble. I was on mat leave for majority of 2011 and my husband only returned this year in June after being in his home country for 18 months. Oh well have to seek other options.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
tintin79 said:
I guess were ineligble. I was on mat leave for majority of 2011 and my husband only returned this year in June after being in his home country for 18 months. Oh well have to seek other options.
Make sure to check the actual new forms and guidelines when they are released, to make sure.

If you are indeed ineligible, then you could always apply for Supervisa for your parents in 2014, and hope to qualify for 2015 sponsorship (depending on what the rules are then).

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
Rob_TO said:
For people preparing... i would have all documentation ready to go like past 3 years copies of CRA Notice of Assessments, parents PR photographs, copies of birth certificates & passports, etc. Then once the application forms are released, can quickly fill in all the info and send the complete package.

Although I guess if parents are in another country, getting their signatures on the forms might be an issue. Perhaps can have then print out the forms in their home country, sign them, scan and email back.
Rob_Co I doubt you can do that. Do you have a reason to believe you can have your parents sign the applications forms, scan and email back to you and you then use a coloured print out for the application?
This is a very key point because if the new forms will be posted after Jan 2nd only the residents who have their parents in Canada already (under Super visa or just visiting) can apply first and fill up the 5000 cap, the rest of the people will wait for their parents to send the applications to them and then send together with sponsor documents and send to CIC. which I think is gonna take minmum 1 week.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
calgary-eagle said:
Rob_Co I doubt you can do that. Do you have a reason to believe you can have your parents sign the applications forms, scan and email back to you and you then use a coloured print out for the application?
This is a very key point because if the new forms will be posted after Jan 2nd only the residents who have their parents in Canada already (under Super visa or just visiting) can apply first and fill up the 5000 cap, the rest of the people will wait for their parents to send the applications to them and then send together with sponsor documents and send to CIC. which I think is gonna take minmum 1 week.
I really have no idea if you are allowed to sign/scan/email/print applications, or if they must be completely original signatures in ink. Does CIC even really scrutinize the signiatures? I couldn't find anything in the guides or manuals on this. Perhaps others can advise.

sunshinemrc

Dec 16, 2013
Rob_TO said:
I really have no idea if you are allowed to sign/scan/email/print applications, or if they must be completely original signatures in ink. Does CIC even really scrutinize the signiatures? I couldn't find anything in the guides or manuals on this. Perhaps others can advise.
In the spousal sponsorship, in the guide it states that all forms are to be originals, therefore not scanned copies. So probably they will have same requirement with these forms. But we will only know on Dec 31, 2014 when they release the new forms and guides.

*I should add, that again CIC confused many because in their guides I could not find any mention that forms are to be original. However if you look on the document checklist, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf all IMM forms to be submitted state "Original...".

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Application forms, guides and information on how to apply to the new PGP program will be made available online on December 31, 2013, just ahead of the PGP program re-opening.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2013/2013-12-18.asp

pgpvisa2014

Dec 16, 2013
canvis2006 said:
Application forms, guides and information on how to apply to the new PGP program will be made available online on December 31, 2013, just ahead of the PGP program re-opening.
After 02 January 9am, it is really all about making sure you get your application in the first 5,000 received, right?
So does anyone know (from previous experience with visa applications) if we should use a:

• Courier service to hand deliver it or
  • Send it registered mail using Canada Post or
  • Hand deliver it in person (if we live in the Toronto area)

(I assume it will be going to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.)
(And I also make the assumption that ones parents (or grand parents) are currently in Canada on a visitors visa so that they can sign the original application forms)

Would you know if they even allow you to use a Courier Service or in-person submissions? Or does it have to be via the regular Canada Postal System (example: Next Day Priority)

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
pgpvisa2014 said:
After 02 January 9am, it is really all about making sure you get your application in the first 5,000 received, right?
So does anyone know (from previous experience with visa applications) if we should use a:

• Courier service to hand deliver it or
  • Send it registered mail using Canada Post or
  • Hand deliver it in person (if we live in the Toronto area)

(I assume it will be going to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.)
(And I also make the assumption that ones parents (or grand parents) are currently in Canada on a visitors visa so that they can sign the original application forms)

Would you know if they even allow you to use a Courier Service or in-person submissions? Or does it have to be via the regular Canada Postal System (example: Next Day Priority)
You Cant hand deliver the application as per CIC website FAQ's I couldn't for some reason post the link as well but you can find it in the CIC page.

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
I just spoke to CIC help line and the confimed that I can't let my parents sign and scan forms. They wan't original signatures too. Very unfortunate now I only can wish there are less than 5000 parents/grandparents under visa's in Canada already who want to apply for the PGP.

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
With regards to the Requirement for financial proof what's your thought guys/girls on the years to prove finances for. I can prove 2010,2011,2012 and 2013 too but I don't have my notice of assessment for 2013 yet like everyone else in Canada. I am thinking I'll send my Option C for 2010, 2011 and 2012 and add my paystubs for the past 12 months. any thoughts??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
calgary-eagle said:
I just spoke to CIC help line and the confimed that I can't let my parents sign and scan forms. They wan't original signatures too. Very unfortunate now I only can wish there are less than 5000 parents/grandparents under visa's in Canada already who want to apply for the PGP.
If this is the case, then I can see a lot of sponsors simply copying their parent's signatures and signing for them, in order to get the application in as quick as possible. The honest ones that do it the legitimate way, may be left out as the 5000 cap could be reached in a matter of days.

calgary-eagle said:
With regards to the Requirement for financial proof what's your thought guys/girls on the years to prove finances for. I can prove 2010,2011,2012 and 2013 too but I don't have my notice of assessment for 2013 yet like everyone else in Canada. I am thinking I'll send my Option C for 2010, 2011 and 2012 and add my paystubs for the past 12 months. any thoughts??
Yes I would do that. Although they are asking specifically for Notices of Assessment, not the Option C printouts. Not sure if it would make a difference but best to submit exactly what they ask for.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
calgary-eagle said:
You Cant hand deliver the application as per CIC website FAQ's I couldn't for some reason post the link as well but you can find it in the CIC page.
Agreed. The application must be delivered to Mississauga and it's impossible to "walk-in" to that facility. Mail / courier is the only option.

petersiddle28

Oct 12, 2013
I agree, if its first come first serve ( Grand Race to 5K ) then might as well sign as the parent. I mean does CIC-M care if app was sent to home country? So if parents being in Canada is an advantage then living in Toronto is also an advantage? correct
Also, will this be 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2011, 2012 and pay stubs from 2012-12013 for 2013?
Also, I don't think it would be issue with scanned copy and same result would come of if printed by color printer

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
Is any of you guys planning to send along their parents official documents (marriage certificates or divorce certificates, Police certificate). I spoke to a consultant a while back and he mentioned I should send everything in the first step (qualifying sponsor), although now reading the CIC website its split the process distinctly into step 1 and step 2 and in step one (qualifying sponsor) the document checklist only asked for birth certificates for all even the additional dependent form is only required to be filled out by the principal applicant. But in Step 2 it says you'll be asked to tell your parents to submit application and there the document checklist includes everything (marriage certificates police certificate etc)