+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship of parents and grandparents for Canadian Permanent Residence

vincnet777

Dec 11, 2013
ok guys... since the memo is out about new forms will be out dec. 31 that means there is only two day to prepare for this application.. we plan on sponsoring my parents and my wife's parents, we do meet the income requirement if you combine both income since we will be sponsoring both parents that a total of 4 people. have all CRA from 2010, 2011 and 2012, BUT

I have similar problems like what most of the readers on this forum.

1.We've been in Canada since 2009 on TWP and became PR march 2012.
Question: do we have to wait for 3 years as a PR before we can sponsor eventhough we meet the income for the past 4 years?

2. My wife will on maternity EI starting March( maternity) until Nov. 2013 this will bring our income down but will still meet income LICO + 30% will this be an issue?

3. Since all parents are still back home(Philippines) signing all documents is needed but by the time all documents are done then the cap are all met. then we have to wait..

4. I need help with finacial forms...

Family of four (4) plus 2 set of parents (4) = 8 person right?

Principal applicant is father then wife is dependant? = 1 application $450 + $550 + 75 total fee per appl.??

If my has a brother who is over 18 but will not accompany their parents , he will still need to be included in the number ( according to guide) but if I include him in the total number of family then the numbers will go up.... oh my Im confused..

If we are just starting to sponsor then how about the undertakings..

past undertaking V.S. current undertaking..

Past undertaking is very obvious to be ZERO or '0'
and current who is PR already is zero "0" how about current undertakings that is not PR yet? do I have to put any number in this spot..

I tried putting numbers in but it doesnt make any sense because the numbers dosn't add up.. Please help or even share your thoughts about this...... Thank you...

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
vincnet777 said:
1.We've been in Canada since 2009 on TWP and became PR march 2012.
Question: do we have to wait for 3 years as a PR before we can sponsor eventhough we meet the income for the past 4 years?
No, there is no requirement for number of years as PR. You just need to be a PR, and meet the past 3 years for income and that's it.

2. My wife will on maternity EI starting March( maternity) until Nov. 2013 this will bring our income down but will still meet income LICO + 30% will this be an issue?
Do you mean she will be on maternity march - nov 2014? You need to maintain the LICO+30% amount, right up until the parents visas are issued. So if the process takes a few years, CIC in 2015 will most likely be asking you to submit updated proofs for your 2014 income level to make sure you still qualify.

3. Since all parents are still back home(Philippines) signing all documents is needed but by the time all documents are done then the cap are all met. then we have to wait..
Right, if you don't get the application in within the first couple of days and miss the 5000 cutoff, you need to wait until the program re-opens again.

Many sponsors that have parents in other countries, will probably just be signing on their behalf. Even though technically this is illegal to do.

4. I need help with finacial forms...

Family of four (4) plus 2 set of parents (4) = 8 person right?
You will need to submit 2 separate applications, 1 for each set of parents.

Family size of 8 is around $88K for LICO+30%.

If my has a brother who is over 18 but will not accompany their parents , he will still need to be included in the number ( according to guide) but if I include him in the total number of family then the numbers will go up.... oh my Im confused..
How old is the brother? If he qualifies as a dependent under CIC rules (under 22 years old), even if he's not accompanying I think he needs to do medical and be included in the application, which means he would need to be added into the family size which would bring your total to 9.

If we are just starting to sponsor then how about the undertakings..
Sounds like you will have 2 undertakings going at the same time, for you and your spouses parents. Hopefully its ok to be sponsor on your app, and co-sponsor simultaneously on spouses app. I'm really not sure how this is done on the forms.

Adal

Nov 27, 2013
Question about application payment method.

In the CIC Help Centre (FAQs) , under the question "How do I pay for my application to sponsor a parent or grandparent?" says:

"payment to the Receiver General for Canada will be accepted by credit card or certified cheque only. Fees that are paid in any other manner (example: on-line payments, HPMB receipt, money orders) will not be accepted and the application will be returned"

Does it mean you cannot pay online? (normally paying online is CIC's recommended and preferred method)

How are you supposed to pay by credit card other than online? Is there any other way to pay by credit card? (Other than using the online payment platform)

Thank you all

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
Adal said:
Question about application payment method.

In the CIC Help Centre (FAQs) , under the question "How do I pay for my application to sponsor a parent or grandparent?" says:

"payment to the Receiver General for Canada will be accepted by credit card or certified cheque only. Fees that are paid in any other manner (example: on-line payments, HPMB receipt, money orders) will not be accepted and the application will be returned"

Does it mean you cannot pay online? (normally paying online is CIC's recommended and preferred method)

How are you supposed to pay by credit card other than online? Is there any other way to pay by credit card? (Other than using the online payment platform)

Thank you all
I had the same questions. But they do mention credit cards as an acceptable method of payement. Which I think refers to paying online via credit card. CIC does mention that they'll start accepting fees for the PGP on the 2nd of January. So I think you should be able to pay using a credit card on their online site starting 2nd of January. Any other ideas?

Adal

Nov 27, 2013
calgary-eagle said:
I had the same questions. But they do mention credit cards as an acceptable method of payement. Which I think refers to paying online via credit card. CIC does mention that they'll start accepting fees for the PGP on the 2nd of January. So I think you should be able to pay using a credit card on their online site starting 2nd of January. Any other ideas?
The risk with assumptions is that you can get your application returned, wasting a lot of time, and probably also your options to make it under the first 5000.

I would say the only option left is to go to a bank and make a certified cheque, and include it within the application package. But what if they also change the application fees... we'll have to wait until Dec 31st, just to be sure.

The credit-card vs online payment contradiction is very weird. So far, you can only pay online if you use a credit card, and you can only use a credit card if you pay online. Maybe they are also changing payment procedures.

Sometimes the instructions are really confusing, they should do better when documenting the process (given its importance for families)

Does anybody know where to call CIC to clarify this problem? All the numbers I call require you to have an application in process.

Very bad timing re-opening the process during the holidays, and also before people get their notices of assessment for 2013. It's very disappointing and sad to see this crazy first-come-first-serve approach when deciding how families reunite... but I'm getting offtopic.

Thank you all for the help

mspjal

Star Member
Dec 22, 2013
CALGARY
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
n/a
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
Jan 07,2014 ,REACHED cic-m on Jan 10,2014,at 11.30 AM
Doc's Request.
In Process since 22/04/2016
Nomination.....
credit card charged on Jan 25,2014
AOR Received.
Recvd on JUN 09,2014 CPC-MISSISSAUGA.
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Approved by CPC-MISSISSAUGA nd file trfd. to CPC-Ottawa on April 14,2016
Med's Request
received vide email dated June 30,2016.
Med's Done....
AS on July 21 nd information sent to CPC-Ottawa on July 26,Medical results recvd. line in ecas visible
Interview........
expecting waiver
Passport Req..
Email dtd. Oct.20,2016 recvd. for submission of PPTS nd submitted on Oct. 24, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Docs recvd. on Aug 07,2016
LANDED..........
With God blessings, landed with my spouse at Calgary on April 26,2017.
Hello to all,
Thanks to all for providing very useful information.

As DISCUSSED in the forum by the fellow members,I also happened to go through the guidelines elucidated in IMM5787 AND GATHERED that there is a thresh hold of three 3yrs Canadian PR in order to meet the income criteria for sponsoring Parents/grand parents.
For fee payment, utilization of Credit Card nd getting Banker's check in the name of "Receiver General for Canada" is a conventional nd ,probably the best nd risk free option under the sky. I am of the view, we should stick to it.

Good luck to all !!!!

mspjal

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
The problem with the certified cheque Adel is that you might need original payment receipt form (IMM 5401) with it, which takes a long time to get.
If you look at the spouse and common law partner sponsorship applications now which are a lot more up to date than the PGP, you can see in the method of payement two methods: Either online using a credit card or by ordering an IMM 5401 from CIC which will be mailed to you takes a couple of weeks, and then you take that form with you to the bank fill it up and add to the application.

As you suggested I think the best way is to wait until the 31st of Dec and if it ends up being similar to that of the spousal sponsorship then the online method (starting on the 2nd of Jan) would be the best way.

Dec 23, 2013
The current checklist requires an original "Option C printout" of the Notice of Assessment. I don't have an "Option C printout", will they accept my actual Notice of Assessment?

calgary-eagle

Dec 18, 2013
parentsimmigration said:
The current checklist requires an original "Option C printout" of the Notice of Assessment. I don't have an "Option C printout", will they accept my actual Notice of Assessment?
I think you should be fine since in all their information updates about the new PGP CIC said that they are looking for Notices of Assessment, but we won't know for sure until they release the new forms and document checklist on the 31st of Dec. If you call Canada Revenue Agency they should be able to mail you one which you'll get in a couple of days. free of charge. Better safe than sorry.

Dec 23, 2013
calgary-eagle said:
I think you should be fine since in all their information updates about the new PGP CIC said that they are looking for Notices of Assessment, but we won't know for sure until they release the new forms and document checklist on the 31st of Dec. If you call Canada Revenue Agency they should be able to mail you one which you'll get in a couple of days. free of charge. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for your reply!

I called CRA yesterday and requested the Options C printout for 2010 to 2012. But due to the holiday season, I'm afraid I won't receive them before Jan 2, then I won't be able to submit my application on the earliest date possible. I'm thinking of sending in my actual Notice of Assessments on Jan 2 if I don't receive the Option C by then. I would think they serve the same purpose?

bishoo1

Star Member
Oct 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LA & ISBD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2008
Med's Request
1st Medical November 2012 - Re Medical April 2014
Med's Done....
November 2012 - April 2014
Passport Req..
18th July 2014
VISA ISSUED...
20th August 2014
LANDED..........
30th August 2014
Rob_TO said:
No, there is no requirement for number of years as PR. You just need to be a PR, and meet the past 3 years for income and that's it.
as you are champion member here i need some views about my case and others also can shed some light on my case too
that will b so helpful and appreciated
Me and my parents are sponsored by my elder brother in 2008
i am dependent i was 18 year old in 2008 when brother filed family immigration case.
We sent our medicals on 6 November 2012 and were expected to b expire on 6 November 2013 but till 20 october 2013 there was not any responce by CIC so we asked to MP on call that whats going on so he replied that validity of our medicals got extend by our immigration officer for 3 months and then after few days on 31st October 2013 our lawyer got PPR email in which written that You are required to submit your passport(s), photographs along with a copy of this letter by MAIL within the next THIRTY (30) days from the date of this letter. As the validity of your visa(s) has been already established and is limited to a fixed date, it CANNOT be extended under any circumstances. We therefore urge you to read and follow carefully the instructions below without delay:
as my parents are already in Canada as Visitor so they asked original passports for them and photocopy of mine as i am out of canada with photographs and fill form of eyecolor ,hieght etc
we sent all this via MAIL on 14 November 2013 and VO Received this on 19 November 2013
and still waiting for passports and my original passport request
does anyone have idea whats going on with our case ??
Is there anyone whose getting this much time After PPR ? or There is only me
Should i order GCMS Notes we havent ordered yet, ?
please reply all and if someone is going through similar situation need your views about it
our VO is Los Angeles
thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bishoo1 said:
Should i order GCMS Notes we havent ordered yet, ?
That sounds like your best option, as only CIC knows what exactly is going on with your file.

bishoo1

Star Member
Oct 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LA & ISBD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2008
Med's Request
1st Medical November 2012 - Re Medical April 2014
Med's Done....
November 2012 - April 2014
Passport Req..
18th July 2014
VISA ISSUED...
20th August 2014
LANDED..........
30th August 2014
Rob_TO said:
That sounds like your best option, as only CIC knows what exactly is going on with your file.
thanks

mmdl

Dec 26, 2013
Hi
My income for 2011 was lower than today's LICO+30%, but in 2012 and 2013 was higher so it indeed compensated that year shortage, meaning the total three years income is above 3 times (LICO+30%), so do you think it would work or I should maintain that minimum for each and every year in account?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mmdl said:
Hi
My income for 2011 was lower than today's LICO+30%, but in 2012 and 2013 was higher so it indeed compensated that year shortage, meaning the total three years income is above 3 times (LICO+30%), so do you think it would work or I should maintain that minimum for each and every year in account?

Thanks
No - this absolutely won't work. To qualify to sponsor you must have three consecutive years where your income is at or above LICO during each of those years independently. You cannot transfer amounts from one year to another. Unfortunately you will have to wait another year before you can qualify to sponsor.