+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship of a child adopted internationally

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021
We ( me n my husband) have PR and are residing in Quebec. We don't have any children, so we are planning to adopt a child internationally from within family in India.
I wanted to know specially about rules in quebec for the sponsorship or citizenship process for an international adoption.
After I do the legal adoption in India, will I be able to bring the child to Quebec either on visa or PR.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We ( me n my husband) have PR and are residing in Quebec. We don't have any children, so we are planning to adopt a child internationally from within family in India.
I wanted to know specially about rules in quebec for the sponsorship or citizenship process for an international adoption.
After I do the legal adoption in India, will I be able to bring the child to Quebec either on visa or PR.
Thanks
The child will need to be an orphan (both parents deceased) in order for IRCC to accept the adoption for PR purposes.

Assuming the child is an orphan, the right next step is to go through the process to legally adopt the child in India. You would then sponsor the child for PR through the family sponsorship program.

Reactions: YVR123

Rmehta18

Jun 10, 2021
Child is not Orphan, but parents have three children already and not capable of taking good care for all.
Also is there any NOC we have to have from "The Secretariat a l'adoption internationale" from Quebec?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Child is not Orphan, but parents have three children already and not capable of taking good care for all.
Also is there any NOC we have to have from "The Secretariat a l'adoption internationale" from Quebec?
Abandoning one of their children where parents are still alive is not normally done here.... I don't know if that can be view as a legal adoption or adoption for convinence. (sole purpose of immigration)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you in any way related to the child? With both parents alive, the chances of being able to sponsor the child successfully are extremely low.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada considers this an adoption of convenience and those adoptions are not considered by the Canadian government. If you don’t believe us please speak to a Canadian immigration attorney before making arrangements in India.

Cobainik

Jan 26, 2022
In fact, it is very commendable and causes me endless admiration. It is very cool that you are ready to take an unfortunate orphan into your family and become parents for him. Not everyone is capable of this. As I understand it, you need reliable information about international adoption. This process is not easy and takes a lot of time. I think that the social services agency https://fosterplus.org can help you with this. There you will receive all the necessary and relevant information for you. This is a very good agency. Through this agency, I take orphans to my home for a while. Unfortunately, I can not adopt, but I help as much as possible.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In fact, it is very commendable and causes me endless admiration. It is very cool that you are ready to take an unfortunate orphan into your family and become parents for him.
If you read the post the child isn’t an orphan. A sibling or cousins who already has multiple children is likely “gifting“ them a child. Although culturally common in many countries it isn’t accepted as an adoption by the Canadian government. Too many possibilities of abuse where children of families with less opportunities are forced to be adopted by the Canadian relatives so they can come to Canada. It is psychologically damaging for children to be separated from their parents and it is unfair for parents with less means to feel forced to give up their children. There were also many stories of the “adopted” children being treated poorly compared to biological children when they arrive in Canada. If this family wants to adopt from India they will need to go through an orphanage and adopt a child that isn’t related to them.