+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship/ conjugal enquiry

Samw123

Nov 29, 2016
Hi guys, just a quick enquiry.
My partner and I have been in a relationship for just over a year now not residing together. In a couple months she will be travelling for around 6 months, to which I will be joining for the latter part of her journey then planning to come back to Canada and reside together. The only thing is by the time my work visa has expired we would only be living together for 7-8 months in total but would have been in a relationship for 28 months. Just wondering what the next step forward would be? I know common law has to be residing together for 12 months at least and a conjugal is for law/ visa/ marriage restrictions. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is your partner a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident?

You need 365 days of continuous cohabiting, anywhere in the world, to qualify for a Common-Law sponsorship.

You could, in theory, `live' together for a few months abroad, then return to Canada with her (as a visitor) and continue to live together to reach the required one-year.

Or...get married and move to the front of the line. ;)

Samw123

Nov 29, 2016
Yes she is a Canadian citizen. Regarding living together abroad we would be travelling around so staying in hostels/ hotels etc so maybe receipts for the layovers may accumulate towards living together? Thanks for the reply.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Samw123 said:
Yes she is a Canadian citizen. Regarding living together abroad we would be travelling around so staying in hostels/ hotels etc so maybe receipts for the layovers may accumulate towards living together? Thanks for the reply.
It's fine living in multiple locations and hostels/hotels, as long as you have proofs that you were there together (so make sure both your names are on receipt).

It must also be 12 consecutive months of cohabitation. Make sure during the 12 months there are no long (more than a few weeks) breaks where you aren't together.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Samw123 said:
Regarding living together abroad we would be travelling around so staying in hostels/ hotels etc so maybe receipts for the layovers may accumulate towards living together?
One forum member was successful establishing common-law while traveling. He had a receipt or letter from every place they stayed while traveling, that covered every single night. Make sure both your names are on the receipts. Also keep all proof of transport, including boarding passes. Matching visas and entry and exit stamps on your passports are helpful as additional proof, but are not enough alone - you need the cohabitation proof.