+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship application returned missing signature, open work permit status unclear

tboi1

Dec 1, 2020
My partner, who is from the UK, and I submitted our Sponsorship (Common law, living in Canada) application in May 2020. We received it back a couple of weeks ago because of a missing handwritten signature (IMM 5669). I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if the application can simply be resubmitted with with updated signature? Or does the whole application need to be refreshed?

2. I have a question about my partner's current status. When we submitted the application originally he had a working holiday visa. This expired at the end of August. Because he applied for the Open Work Permit with the sponsorship application we let the initial visa expire. Now that we have to resubmit the entire application for sponsorship, we are unsure about whether we have to resubmit the Open Work Permit application too (they did not return the OWP application to us) and whether we will encounter any problems because he is currently living in Canada without a visa.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? Thank you!

Spr8998

May 17, 2021
Today, Its same thing happened with me. They returned my application after 6 months because of missing handwritten signature (IMM 5669). In returned application they add two documents one is letter and second green paper kind of checklist they ticked mark what is missed. and also they highlighted that point in Document Check list (IMM 5533). Now I am submitting all new form with new signature and date.

Few question I am not sure what to do.
1. Should I use same highlighted Document Check list (IMM 5533) with my application OR I fill new Document Check list (IMM 5533) and submit.
2. Should I also need to change supporting document with application like 2020 NOA, Photo, current Paystub and experience letter (If prompted).

If anybody guide me it will very helpful to me.
Thank you.

tboi1

Dec 1, 2020
Hello, sorry to hear the same thing has happened to you!

We ended up resubmitting our application as if it was a new application. That means it had a new checklist and some new forms (because they had been updated). Other materials like photos and letters from friends were the same as our original application. As far as I understand, you can resubmit the initial payment form as well. Hope this helps and good luck!

(I should note that we also worked with a lawyer for our resubmission to double check everything!)

Spr8998

May 17, 2021
Hello, sorry to hear the same thing has happened to you!

We ended up resubmitting our application as if it was a new application. That means it had a new checklist and some new forms (because they had been updated). Other materials like photos and letters from friends were the same as our original application. As far as I understand, you can resubmit the initial payment form as well. Hope this helps and good luck!

(I should note that we also worked with a lawyer for our resubmission to double check everything!)
Thanks for information. Since from resubmission did you get any update from CIC like AOR?

Yes, I am doing same thing submitting all recent document like NOA, paystub and bills, bank statement that showing joint account .

Should I need to add old documents as well which I submitted in first submission?

Nreddy

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
HI,

My application to sponsor my spouse has been rejected due to missing signature in IMM0008 form. they haven't returned the application package to me instead they have sent me the all the scanned doccuments of my application in email. they have mentioned "IRCC will accept printed copies of most of the documents we are returning to you in this email, with the exception of the IMM1344 form, which require a new original copy.

given their above statement, can I send the copy of photos and some other doccuments from what they have sent me in email?
so they can refer to the original package which I sent on first attempt.

Nreddy

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
HI,

CIC has refused my Sponsor's PR application by giving a reason IMM008 (Generic Application Form for Canada) is missing the signature.
However, in the scanned documents they have sent me in email (they are only sending PR via electronic mail due to Covid) I do see the signature presents on this form. Moreover, in checklist form they haven't mentioned we need to print (handwrite ) the signature in IMM008 form.

Could you please let me know what I should now? is there way I can contest the decision made by the case officer?

Thnx

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
HI,

CIC has refused my Sponsor's PR application by giving a reason IMM008 (Generic Application Form for Canada) is missing the signature.
However, in the scanned documents they have sent me in email (they are only sending PR via electronic mail due to Covid) I do see the signature presents on this form. Moreover, in checklist form they haven't mentioned we need to print (handwrite ) the signature in IMM008 form.

Could you please let me know what I should now? is there way I can contest the decision made by the case officer?

Thnx
Sorry this happened to you.

Redo the form and sign again, including the block spelling, and resubmit. There is no way to contest the original decision as far as I'm aware (although you could try resopnding to that email, I doubt they would respond).

Most who have been through this have resubmitted with a letter asking eg that file be expedited and esp if they believe was in error. No guarantee it will actually have any effect, though it might.

tboi1

Dec 1, 2020
Thanks for information. Since from resubmission did you get any update from CIC like AOR?

Yes, I am doing same thing submitting all recent document like NOA, paystub and bills, bank statement that showing joint account .

Should I need to add old documents as well which I submitted in first submission?
We resubmitted the entire thing (they had sent the whole application back to us). I don't think we've heard anything back yet - we submitted at the end of February.

Nreddy

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Sorry this happened to you.

Redo the form and sign again, including the block spelling, and resubmit. There is no way to contest the original decision as far as I'm aware (although you could try resopnding to that email, I doubt they would respond).

Most who have been through this have resubmitted with a letter asking eg that file be expedited and esp if they believe was in error. No guarantee it will actually have any effect, though it might.
HI,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

As they mentioned in their rejection letter to print all the forms they have sent me in email except IMM1344. Can I also resend the IMM008 form which they have sent me in email by printing the missing hand written signature on it. Kindly advise.

Moreover, they have also send me the scanned copy of front and back pages of Passport size Photos along with the proof related photos.
as per below message from them can I send the scan copy of photos as well. Hence, if needed they can refer to the original package which I sent to them. I am thinking to write and include explanation letter about this.

kindly advise.

CIC message:

"If you resubmit an application, it must be submitted by mail. IRCC will accept printed
copies of most of the documents we are returning to you in this email, with the exception of
the IMM1344 – Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking for
which we require a new original copy.
If you are re-submitting your application and providing printed copies of the documents
enclosed, please ensure you also include a copy of this letter."

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
HI,

As they mentioned in their rejection letter to print all the forms they have sent me in email except IMM1344. Can I also resend the IMM008 form which they have sent me in email by printing the missing hand written signature on it. Kindly advise.

Moreover, they have also send me the scanned copy of front and back pages of Passport size Photos along with the proof related photos.
as per below message from them can I send the scan copy of photos as well. Hence, if needed they can refer to the original package which I sent to them. I am thinking to write and include explanation letter about this.

kindly advise.

CIC message:

"If you resubmit an application, it must be submitted by mail. IRCC will accept printed
copies of most of the documents we are returning to you in this email, with the exception of
If you are re-submitting your application and providing printed copies of the documents
Read what they wrote to you. They wrote that they need a 'new original copy.' Can't get much clearer.

I don't know about the photos, etc - this process of sending the scans and requiring just printed copies is new. Personally I would not risk it and would provide photographs in the requested format (if not older than six months, reprinted old ones should be fine).

But again - new process so can't say for sure.

Spr8998

May 17, 2021
HI,

kindly advise.

CIC message:

Because of covid they return file by email its mean they have digital copy of your application..
Please refer below link if its help you.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1546&top=4

Nreddy

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
Because of covid they return file by email its mean they have digital copy of your application..
Please refer below link if its help you.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1546&top=4
Thanks for your reply.

while I am trying to print the scanned pages they have sent me via email. I am noticing that the clarity of the letters in the printed pages are reduced. They can read them but they need to keep a close eye while reading them.

I am worried if they get annoyed with the content. could you advise your thoughts on this please?

Regards,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply.

while I am trying to print the scanned pages they have sent me via email. I am noticing that the clarity of the letters in the printed pages are reduced. They can read them but they need to keep a close eye while reading them.

I am worried if they get annoyed with the content. could you advise your thoughts on this please?

Regards,
I'd draw your attention to the text of that new help page which was linked:
"You still need to
  • keep your information up to date
  • use the most recent versions of the forms online
If your original documents or forms are outdated, you’ll need to provide new ones."

So don't know your situation, but reading this, I believe the readability of the text in the scanned files is rather the least of your concerns: make sure everything is up to date and your forms are the most recent.

Nreddy

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
I'd draw your attention to the text of that new help page which was linked:
"You still need to
  • keep your information up to date
  • use the most recent versions of the forms online
If your original documents or forms are outdated, you’ll need to provide new ones."

So don't know your situation, but reading this, I believe the readability of the text in the scanned files is rather the least of your concerns: make sure everything is up to date and your forms are the most recent.
Thanks for your inputs.

yes you are right I noticed 3 to 4 forms are updated within last 2 months. I am going to fill their new version and submit.

However, following 3 forms: Additional family information (IMM5406) and Scheduled Background declaration form (IMM5669) and the Document checklist (IMM5533).

The above 3 form are not updated from my previous application date also there is no change in my information or status from old application to present. Hence, I am submitting these 3 printed copies that I have received in email from CIC.

kindly confirm if it sounds good to you.

Thnx

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your inputs.

yes you are right I noticed 3 to 4 forms are updated within last 2 months. I am going to fill their new version and submit.

However, following 3 forms: Additional family information (IMM5406) and Scheduled Background declaration form (IMM5669) and the Document checklist (IMM5533).

The above 3 form are not updated from my previous application date also there is no change in my information or status from old application to present. Hence, I am submitting these 3 printed copies that I have received in email from CIC.

kindly confirm if it sounds good to you.

Thnx
If any of those forms have fields with dates expected up to present day, do a new one.

Checklist is up to you but suggest you use it and read very carefully to check.