+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Application returned back from CIC

Dchawla

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
I didn’t mention my postal code (PA) and my wife’s, and we both live in Vancouver but we have written it in 1000 places throughout the application, I’m very anxious as my application was received on July 31st
What should I do, is it too late to send a webform including an updated IMM5406? Reading all the above messages I have a feeling my application could be coming back any time :/
This sucks
I am so frustrated.

Newf

Sep 1, 2020
I didn’t mention my postal code (PA) and my wife’s, and we both live in Vancouver but we have written it in 1000 places throughout the application, I’m very anxious as my application was received on July 31st
What should I do, is it too late to send a webform including an updated IMM5406? Reading all the above messages I have a feeling my application could be coming back any time :/
This sucks
I am so frustrated.
Unfortunately Webforms are extremely backed up. It's taking 4-5 weeks to get a response. You can submit a Webform and hope for the best but there is no guarantee that it will be looked at before they check your application for completeness.

It seems to just come down to dumb luck as to the officer who is assigned to your file. Some officers will send it back for almost any reason they can find. Others will only send it back if they absolutely have to.

It was my parent's house back in my home country. I wrote it for my father but I forgot to write it for my mother and they had the same address
I can't even imagine how anyone thinks that this is okay.

I wish the Immigration Minister would spend less time self promoting on Twitter and more time listening to the Canadian Bar Association and hundreds of other lawyers who are constantly reaching out to him and begging him to fix policies that are ruining lives for literally no reason.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
This sucks
I am so frustrated.
You can try - it's no guarantee it will get linked and accepted, but why not try?

To help ensure the webform submission is 'matched' to your file, provide as much information as possible - UCI (if known), temporary file number (call IRCC to obtain), and all other info such as name/passport/etc.

Reactions: Dchawla

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
Unfortunately Webforms are extremely backed up. It's taking 4-5 weeks to get a response. You can submit a Webform and hope for the best but there is no guarantee that it will be looked at before they check your application for completeness.

It seems to just come down to dumb luck as to the officer who is assigned to your file. Some officers will send it back for almost any reason they can find. Others will only send it back if they absolutely have to.

I can't even imagine how anyone thinks that this is okay.

I wish the Immigration Minister would spend less time self promoting on Twitter and more time listening to the Canadian Bar Association and hundreds of other lawyers who are constantly reaching out to him and begging him to fix policies that are ruining lives for literally no reason.
Pre Covid, one could get away without writing postal codes without getting a return of application. POST Covid, I have a feeling they have ministerial instructions to send back Applications for ANY minor mistake - not just a postal code.
Its not about the Postal Code, its about doing everything possible to slow down the influx of applications. The system is backlogged and they use any and every excuse to send your application back to you.

Reactions: Needtogeahead

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Pre Covid, one could get away without writing postal codes without getting a return of application. POST Covid, I have a feeling they have ministerial instructions to send back Applications for ANY minor mistake - not just a postal code.
Its not about the Postal Code, its about doing everything possible to slow down the influx of applications. The system is backlogged and they use any and every excuse to send your application back to you.
Returning applications in no way helps IRCC. It creates extra work and more complaints. The relatively small amount of returned applications would have very little impact on the amount of applications being processed. Don’t think there is any conspiracy theory involved. Wasn’t unheard of to have applications returned pre-covid. Obviously much more annoying given the delays in processing but don’t think there is any proof that there is a conspiracy to slow the amount of applications being processed. If a huge volume of applications were being returned then maybe you could theorize...

Reactions: malimu and Caly

Newf

Sep 1, 2020
Returning applications in no way helps IRCC. It creates extra work and more complaints. The relatively small amount of returned applications would have very little impact on the amount of applications being processed. Don’t think there is any conspiracy theory involved. Wasn’t unheard of to have applications returned pre-covid. Obviously much more annoying given the delays in processing but don’t think there is any proof that there is a conspiracy to slow the amount of applications being processed. If a huge volume of applications were being returned then maybe you could theorize...
Different poster.

From what I can tell, having applications returned because of IMM5406 addresses did happen in the past, but it was one of the rarer issues that caused applications to be returned. Frequently, when there was this issue people were given the ability to re-upload the IMM5406 form instead of having their applications returned (although not always).

By contrast, these past few months it has become a major issue with people reporting that their applications are being returned because of this issue on essentially a weekly basis.

See this quote from a letter the Canadian Bar Association sent to the Deputy Immigration Minister:

"An application under the Spouse-in-Canada Class was sent to CPC-Mississauga in April 2020, and returned unprocessed by IRCC in September 2020. The reason for rejection was that some postal codes were missing on the IMM 5406 form. Counsel never had applications rejected for trivial reasons in 30 years of immigration practice, let alone during a pandemic. "
https://www.cba.org/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?guid=bed813b5-0640-41c7-b59a-81c2417fad72

I don't think it is a conspiracy. I suspect what is happening is there are a lot of people being moved around at IRCC because of the pandemic. This has resulted in people with less training and experience working on the files. I have to assume they are following their guidelines to a tee and are not completely aware of the discretion that they have. I also have to assume working from home has resulted in it being harder for the officers to seek guidance when they have questions which is an issue a lot of people I know who are working from home are having.

Last edited:

Dchawla

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
This is just really unfair, checked the google docs and somebody's app was returned because they didn’t write “Canada” in IMM 5406
So they just didn’t write the name of the country. I am so stressed and anxious. Just sucks.

KingKcaj

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
This is so ridiculous. Can we raise these issues up somewhere where they would actually be pressured to do things more "humanly". I am sure there are mistakes on 9/10 apps, most probably very very small, like the missing "CANADA". Those returns are just infuriating, especially for people waiting already for 6 months. :mad:

Newf

Sep 1, 2020
This is so ridiculous. Can we raise these issues up somewhere where they would actually be pressured to do things more "humanly". I am sure there are mistakes on 9/10 apps, most probably very very small, like the missing "CANADA". Those returns are just infuriating, especially for people waiting already for 6 months. :mad:
Immigration lawyers and the Canadian Bar Association have been frequently bringing these issues up through letters and during Q&A sessions. The people in charge know these things are happening and have chosen not to do anything.

We're almost a year into the pandemic at this point. If they were going to do anything to help people they would have already done it by now.

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021
Nothing against you but this is not funny, at all. There’s isn’t anything funny when a dumb IRCC officer think the only way to resolve an incomplete address issue is to refuse the applicants entire package.

It’s so outrageous and quite frankly criminal! C’mon this is people’s lives we are talking about.

What happened to emphathy?common sense?, what happens to professionalism that IRCC was once known for?

Whatever happens to humanity among these officers, I’m sure if they put applicants in their own shoes maybe they just might behave differently, why can’t you just mail out only the IMM5406 back? then once you receive it back from the client, place the application back into queue for processing?

Or why not leverage technology? In communicating with clients?, for example create an online portal whereby applicants papers can be attached for them to fix their mistakes and return back to the processing officers quickly?

This is more effective & efficient ways to work, rather than amidst this pandemic when all services are crippled then returned application using a failed CanadaPost system. And I know IRCC have more than enough funds to implement such systems

It’s more like zombies working in IRCC these days, or rather officers with no brains.

We may argue and say well, it’s just few applications affected, however these few applicants are people too, they deserve fair treatment and transparency, not just to be judged like trash.

Something needs to be done, and the earlier the better.!

Last edited:

lucky678

Jan 15, 2021
This sucks
I am so frustrated.
Firstly I wouldn’t panic if I were you, since it appears majority of these returned applications depend on the officers decisions.

If you are lucky you get a reasonable officer, you will escape your papers been returned. Otherwise, prepare for the worse, start gathering and renewing your documents again specifically the ones that you think would have expired by now.

Also it depends on which forms you missed out postal code on, if it’s the dreaded one IMM5406, then it’s likely it will be returned, again it depends on the officer processing your papers. Goodluck to you.

Newf

Sep 1, 2020
This sucks
I am so frustrated.
People from late August are being told that their applications have been marked as complete. It is a good sign if you haven't heard anything yet (although no guarantee)

If you want to know ASAP you can call IRCC and ask them to check if there is a note on your file marking it as complete. You might have to try a few times to find a decent agent willing to check for you, but they are able to check. Like 7 people from the August WhatsApp group have called and verified that their files have been marked as complete.

Dchawla

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
People from late August are being told that their applications have been marked as complete. It is a good sign if you haven't heard anything yet (although no guarantee)

If you want to know ASAP you can call IRCC and ask them to check if there is a note on your file marking it as complete. You might have to try a few times to find a decent agent willing to check for you, but they are able to check. Like 7 people from the August WhatsApp group have called and verified that their files have been marked as complete.
How can I call IRCC ??