+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring wife's parents

wow777

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Hi,

My sister wants to sponsor our parents to Canada. She is a Canadian citizen and is a tax payer, but has not been working since a couple of years.

Can her husband co-sign the application? In this case his income will be counted as family income? For this does my sister have to apply? or he can apply on her behalf?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She need to submit the application. She will be the sponsor and your brother in law will be the co-sponsor. The combined income of the husband and wife will be the family income.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

My sister wants to sponsor our parents to Canada. She is a Canadian citizen and is a tax payer, but has not been working since a couple of years.

Can her husband co-sign the application? In this case his income will be counted as family income? For this does my sister have to apply? or he can apply on her behalf?
Yes - he can co-sign the application so that his income can be counted towards the LICO requirement. She would be the primary sponsor since it's her parents that are being sponsored. No - he cannot apply on her behalf.

wow777

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
Yes - he can co-sign the application so that his income can be counted towards the LICO requirement. She would be the primary sponsor since it's her parents that are being sponsored. No - he cannot apply on her behalf.
thank you so much!!

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a similar question. My wife wants to sponsor or have her father visit Canada from Afghanistan. She has no income. I the son-in-law work for the Federal government. My income alone may not be enough as I have 3 kids of my own but my wife also has another sister in Canada who does not work but has a husband who also works for the Federal government. Are both sisters able to sponsor or get a visit visa for their father with the daughter's husbands being co-signers using their income?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had a similar question. My wife wants to sponsor or have her father visit Canada from Afghanistan. She has no income. I the son-in-law work for the Federal government. My income alone may not be enough as I have 3 kids of my own but my wife also has another sister in Canada who does not work but has a husband who also works for the Federal government. Are both sisters able to sponsor or get a visit visa for their father with the daughter's husbands being co-signers using their income?
Sponsoring can only be a person and their spouse. If your wife and you don't meet LICO her sister can apply to sponsor with her husband co-signing. They must meet LICO for 3 years if not in Quebec we assume based on previous applications. Is the mother alive and does the father have any unmarried children under 22? They must be counted in the family size even if they are not coming to Canada. The sister and husband must realize that they are financially responsible for the father. for 20 years. For example if the father ends up in longterm care they would likely need to.pay approximately $1000/month.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sponsoring can only be a person and their spouse. If your wife and you don't meet LICO her sister can apply to sponsor with her husband co-signing. They must meet LICO for 3 years if not in Quebec we assume based on previous applications. Is the mother alive and does the father have any unmarried children under 22? They must be counted in the family size even if they are not coming to Canada. The sister and husband must realize that they are financially responsible for the father. for 20 years. For example if the father ends up in longterm care they would likely need to.pay approximately $1000/month.
What if I want my father-in-law to visit us in Canada since it is much cheaper to buy him 1 ticket for visit instead of our whole family going since father-in-law does have all 3 of his daughters in Canada. How does the application work for that. Father-in-law lives in Afghanistan if that is detail is relevant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if I want my father-in-law to visit us in Canada since it is much cheaper to buy him 1 ticket for visit instead of our whole family going since father-in-law does have all 3 of his daughters in Canada. How does the application work for that. Father-in-law lives in Afghanistan if that is detail is relevant.
He will have to show that he has the funds to pay for his visit even if you will be paying for him and he also will have to show extremely strong ties to Afghanistan. There will be quite a bit of concern that he will not return given 3 daughters are in Canada.

masoud100

Aug 1, 2012
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He will have to show that he has the funds to pay for his visit even if you will be paying for him and he also will have to show extremely strong ties to Afghanistan. There will be quite a bit of concern that he will not return given 3 daughters are in Canada.
My mother-in-law passed away over 6 years ago and my father-in law remarried. He does have 2 young children from his new wife and also his wife who will be staying in Afghanistan. He also owns I think one piece of land and another land with a house built in it. What do you think his chances are. Should he put money in a bank account as they usually keep it in cash. Also does LICO apply in this case?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My mother-in-law passed away over 6 years ago and my father-in law remarried. He does have 2 young children from his new wife and also his wife who will be staying in Afghanistan. He also owns I think one piece of land and another land with a house built in it. What do you think his chances are. Should he put money in a bank account as they usually keep it in cash. Also does LICO apply in this case?
If you are sponsoring your father through PGP, you have to add 4 to family size along with your own family size. The father's new wife and kids must be included in LICO whether they are coming to Canada or not.

Reactions: scylla

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Can anyone tell me what is the requirements for sponsoring parents and unmarried brother???
You can sponsor your parents through PGP. You can only include your brother as a dependent of your parents through PGP if and only if he is less than 22 years old and that he is not married or common law. If your brother has lived with his girlfriend for more than 1 year (common law), he is not qualified to be the parents' dependent. If he did, in fact, lived with a girlfriend for one than 1 year, he can still be qualified to be the parents' dependent for PR, but he is forever banned from sponsoring his common law partner.

Riya723

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
You can sponsor your parents through PGP. You can only include your brother as a dependent of your parents through PGP if and only if he is less than 22 years old and that he is not married or common law. If your brother has lived with his girlfriend for more than 1 year (common law), he is not qualified to be the parents' dependent. If he did, in fact, lived with a girlfriend for one than 1 year, he can still be qualified to be the parents' dependent for PR, but he is forever banned from sponsoring his common law partner.
Okay thank u very much!! Can u pls tell me the income requirements??