+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse

dav.simonyan

Jan 25, 2017
I am a PR card holder and spent more than 730 days in the last 5 years in Canada but currently live in my home country. Here I got married and as I understand I can not apply for my spouse PR because I am not a Canadian citizen so I need to be physically in Canada to do that.
1. Can I come to Canada, submit all required documents online and then leave Canada?
2. Do I need to stay until I receive AOR and how long it takes to receive it usually?
3. Can she apply for TRV immediately after I submit documents for her PR and what is the best way to get a visa for her so she can come with me to Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a PR card holder and spent more than 730 days in the last 5 years in Canada but currently live in my home country. Here I got married and as I understand I can not apply for my spouse PR because I am not a Canadian citizen so I need to be physically in Canada to do that.
1. Can I come to Canada, submit all required documents online and then leave Canada?
2. Do I need to stay until I receive AOR and how long it takes to receive it usually?
3. Can she apply for TRV immediately after I submit documents for her PR and what is the best way to get a visa for her so she can come with me to Canada?
1. No. You need to remain in Canada and make Canada your primary home while the application is being processed.
2. See above. You need to continue living in Canada primarily while the application is being processed and until it is approved.
3. Best option is for you to submit the sponsorship application, wait for AOR (2-3 months), and then apply for the TRV.

Reactions: nyantaro19

dav.simonyan

Jan 25, 2017
1. No. You need to remain in Canada and make Canada your primary home while the application is being processed.
2. See above. You need to continue living in Canada primarily while the application is being processed and until it is approved.
3. Best option is for you to submit the sponsorship application, wait for AOR (2-3 months), and then apply for the TRV.
So for outland applications only sponsored can leave Canada, but sponsor still needs to be in Canada while the application is in process?

dav.simonyan

Jan 25, 2017
If neither you nor spouse live in or are planning to reside in Canada, then why bother?
That is the plan, to reside in Canada, but not by leaving my wife in home country for a long period of time until the application is being processed.

Last edited:

Amiah_world

Star Member
Nov 17, 2023
That is the plan, to reside in Canada, but not by living my wife in home country for a long period of time until the application is being processed.
Tell it to immigration when u submit the application, call up a lawyer and pay for the consultation they’ll give you better answers. This ain’t as easy as how you think it’s going to be.

thatstupiddeer

Jan 24, 2023
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-10-2022
AOR Received.
05-01-2023
Med's Request
12-01-2023
Med's Done....
24-01-2023
Passport Req..
26-02-2024
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2024
Since you are a PR, you cannot sponsor your spouse if you live outside of Canada. The ability to sponsor family members while living outside Canada is exclusively reserved for Canadian citizens.

You will need to be living in Canada to submit the application and have it processed.

Your best option would be to settle yourself in Canada, and once you have your AOR, have your wife apply for a TRV so she can come to Canada while the application is processed.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That is the plan, to reside in Canada, but not by living my wife in home country for a long period of time until the application is being processed.
That key aspect of the plan - to actually reside in Canada - was lacking from your original post.

Others have covered - yes, you need to apply from within Canada, and reside in Canada during the process. You can be absent for 'short trips' abroad; 'short' is not defined by iRCC but to be safe, assume < 1 month.

Your spouse can apply for a TRV and, if approved, come and stay with you in Canada, apply for a work permit, etc. But assume some time without work and health insurance.