+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Sister

Mrs.smith

Aug 8, 2012
Hi to all,

I am a permanent resident living in Ontario. I arrived in Canada last October of 2010, sponsored by my Canadian husband. I am currently in college and at the same time working part-time at a fast food restaurant, approximately 25 hrs a week for a year now. I am just finishing my second semester and expecting to be done by April of 2013..

Now, a surprise came up. I am pregnant. About 4-5 weeks old. I will be needing help when I give birth for me to finish school and also for me to work full time later, in relation to my current program. I would want my sister, 22 years old, to come over so she can help me take care of the baby. My husband works full time in the government. It will be hard for us if I don't work, that's why we would really want my sister to come over to help us. Would it be possible to sponsor my sister? in what way? visitor's visa? family class? or worker's permit?..if any of the options is possible, how long the process would take? and what are the requirements?

I am hoping that someone here could answer my questions. Especially those who have already sponsored this siblings.

Another option for us is to have my mother coming over. I know this is easier than sponsoring my sister, but the whole family's preference is to have my sister instead of my mother, since she is very fan of Pinas and has very low tolerance of cold. Another reason is that she would not want to leave my dad or my baby nephews because they are her life. She said if it's not possible for my sister to be sponsored, she will do it for me. She will come to help me although that is not her preference. If I sponsor my mom, what's the best way for her to come over soonest possible? Permanent resident or supervisa? what are the requirements? how long is the process?

Thanking in advance for those who can answer my questions.

Mrs. Smith

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Depends on what country. If from a Visa-Exempt country, she can come and visit for up to 6 months. If it's not a visa exempt country, she will have to apply for a visitors visa. You will not be able to sponsor your sister in the family class.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Additionally, at the present time you cannot sponsor your mother under the family class, that provision is suspended. It would have to be for a super-visa, which is a visitor's visa for parents/grandparents that allows them to remain in Canada for up to 2 years without needing to renew their status.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may be able to hire your sister as a live-in caregiver if she meets specific requirements for the program outlined at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-how.asp.

Mrs.smith

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks to all who responded!

I am still confused of what to do. I want to make sure the process will be successful since I really badly need her help when the baby comes out. I read the requirements of hiring a live-in caregiver. It said I could hire a caregiver from outside the country only if I have looked around inside the country and found none. It also said the process could take some time :(
As visitor's visa, she goes to University full time; this might make her eligible to apply, but then again, I can't be sure. I don't know how long the process will be and if they will approve her or not. I just need her to be approved for the good of everybody :( especially the baby.
She definitely need a visa, we are from the Philippines. It's not a visa-exempt country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there is no process that will guarantee your sister can come to Canada.

For the live in caregiver option, does your sister have one year of full time paid live in caregiver work experience (or experience in a related field) in the last three years? If not, has she completed at least six months of full time training in a caregiver related field in the last three years? If the answer to both of these questions is no - then she won't qualify under this program. If she does qualify, then you will need to meet income requirements before applying.

It sounds like the visit visa is probably your best bet. Unfortunately there is no guarantee of approval and your sister comes from a country with fairly high refusal rates for visit visas. She'll need to provide as much proof as she can that she has strong ties to her home country and has no plans to remain in Canada long term.

Mrs.smith

Aug 8, 2012
Ok. So we decided to give it a shot for visitor's visa. We plan to write a detailed invitation letter. Stressing my situation, being pregnant and working students, I will be needing my sister's help for couple of months or so for me to finish my studies. I hope this is something the immigration will consider. My question is, who should write the invitation? Is it better if my husband will do it since he is a Canadian citizen and makes way better money than I do? Just incase the immigration will question how we are going to support her stay. Or maybe it doesn't matter if I write it? How about sign both our names? We will also get health insurance for my sister because it seems like the government is concern about that.

Please let me know if you have any ideas that can help the success of this process. Thank you.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
It should come from you, she's your sister, but it should be clear that your husband is fully supportive of the invitation and in agreement with the reasoning behind it. Perhaps you can both sign to it.

In addition to the health insurance, purchase a round-trip ticket, dated for the time you want her to stay (a refundable ticket can be a little more expensive, but at least if she doesn't get the visa you can get your money back).

Get her to gather any and every proof that she has to return home. I believe you said she is in University, so make sure she has proof of her enrollment into her next classes, payment of her fees, and something from the University saying she is expected in class for X date, if possible.

zeushk

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 10 2011
AOR Received.
Jan 11, 2012
File Transfer...
May 10, 2012
Med's Request
May 15, 2012
Passport Req..
Sept 7, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 15, 2013
I would definately go for the domestic helper route. The application time is much shorter, and if she wants, can also work, and can apply to becoming a PR after 3 years.

kenyatta

Star Member
May 8, 2011
did u put ur sister name on ur application if so then cic will find out its ur sister and can deny visa bcuz they think she will not go back my opinion

Mrs.smith

Aug 8, 2012
Hi to all,

As indicated, I am trying to make my sister apply for a visitor's visa. One of the application questions is how much fund available during her stay in Canada. I am not sure what is a sufficient amount. Can you please give me an idea or an estimate? She will be staying for four months and as planned we will pay for her entire expenses, from the process to ticket to basic needs and medical insurance. She does not work and do not have money in the bank but my husband and I make about $75K a year. If we put the proper amount (whatever you guys have knowledge about) in the application, does that mean the officer will ask her to show proof of that fund? If so, how is she able to show proof when we will be paying for her. We will mention in our invitation letter that we will pay for her when she is here.

Thank you so much for any input. It will be highly appreciated.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
In the invitation letter, you and your husband explain that you will be supporting her completely during her stay. Attach proof of your incomes, and proof you paid for her tickets or anything else for her (if you have yet). The amount the visa officer will expect a visitor to have will vary according to what the visitor plans to do, and is somewhat at the discretion of the visa officer. Someone who planned to stay in hotels and eat at restaurants will need to show more money than someone who will be staying with family. If she has any money of her own, she should show proof of that as well. If she doesn't have any money, I would suggest transferring some money into her bank account just for the application. (Keep it there for a while.) She can tell the visa officer this money is for her travel expenses.

Mrs.smith

Aug 8, 2012
canadianwoman said:
In the invitation letter, you and your husband explain that you will be supporting her completely during her stay. Attach proof of your incomes, and proof you paid for her tickets or anything else for her (if you have yet). The amount the visa officer will expect a visitor to have will vary according to what the visitor plans to do, and is somewhat at the discretion of the visa officer. Someone who planned to stay in hotels and eat at restaurants will need to show more money than someone who will be staying with family. If she has any money of her own, she should show proof of that as well. If she doesn't have any money, I would suggest transferring some money into her bank account just for the application. (Keep it there for a while.) She can tell the visa officer this money is for her travel expenses.
Thanks so much for your response. How much do you think I should put on her bank account? and how much should I declare on the application question: Funds available for my stay (CAD)?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Could you do $1,000 a month? That should be considered more than enough for someone who is staying with relatives.

Nov 16, 2012
I have almost the same story, may i ask what did you say in your invitation letter? Did you say that you're giving birth and that you need a support from your sister in 4months? Thanks