+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSORING SIBLING

einnannie_05

Jun 3, 2012
Hi,

I am new to the site and have been looking over and over, thread to thread about sponsoring siblings and I can't find my answers. I'm under the LCP and have just completed my 24 months, waiting for my open permit and single.

Any replies to my questions will be very much appreciated. (Well of course, the first step is to get my PR.)

Can I sponsor my 14 year old brother whom I will be sending to school in college?My parents are both still alive and have enrolled him to an educational plan for college and I am paying the half of it. I will be sponsoring my parents but just for visits(SUPERVISA), they don't have plans to be permanent residents, but that will happen probably in the next decade. ;D But I thought since I am sending my brother to school, It might be better to get him here instead. Any thoughts on these? Can you provide me links on the CIC website? or anything that can help me with this matter.

I have known that my friend who just arrived in Toronto, Ontario 6 months ago that she was sponsored by her brother 5 years ago while she was still in college so it that is where I got the idea for my brother. I just don't know how to start.

BTW, I'm from the Philippines. :)

Thank you very much,
Ann

thor

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2012
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Done....
January 2012
Yes, you can sponsor a sibling if you are a PR or a Citizen of Canada.

The only condition is that your Marital status must be single in order to sponsor a sibling.

I know a lot of Indian people who do this. If you know a few then talk to them. They know of this.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thor said:
Yes, you can sponsor a sibling if you are a PR or a Citizen of Canada.

The only condition is that your Marital status must be single in order to sponsor a sibling.

I know a lot of Indian people who do this. If you know a few then talk to them. They know of this.

Wrong, Wrong. To sponsor a sibling s/he must be an orphan under the age of 18. The parents are alive, so the sibling is not an orphan.

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

Wrong, Wrong. To sponsor a sibling s/he must be an orphan under the age of 18. The parents are alive, so the sibling is not an orphan.
But if you are single with no children, you can sponsor ANY one relative. At least that is what I understood.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
canadiangirl78 said:
But if you are single with no children, you can sponsor ANY one relative. At least that is what I understood.
Not if your parents are still alive. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

"Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act."

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
scylla said:
Not if your parents are still alive. See:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

"Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act."
Oh hmmm. Tough requirement.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can sponsor a sibling under the Saskatchewan and Manitoba provincial nominees programs. However, I think the sponsored person must be an adult.

einnannie_05

Jun 3, 2012
Sorry folks, I now understood how my friend got sponsored, the brother sponsored the parents to come her to Canada, and since my friend was still underage at the time of sponsorship, she was like a dependent (she also receives financial assistance from the brother). The brother single when she sponsored them up to now.

So, my other question is. Should I be single during the course of the application process until they arrive to Canada if ever they get approved?

Luck786

Apr 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
I am halfway sponsoring my siblings .So I hope my advice will be the best right now.
I understand your situation
By the way I am married and have kids too.So forget about being single.
There are two ways
First they told you ,if you are single and have no relative in canada then you can sponsor a relative.
Second sponsor your parents and your brother will come as a dependent.for this you must be a canadian resident or citizen.Secondly you should have income according to Lico which you have to maintain through out the process.

Most important thing is right now there is a freeze on sponsoring parents for 2 years.Once they lift it you can apply.But there could be different requirements then.
If you are married ou can use your husband/wife 's income to maintain your LICO.

For more detailed info visit the thread
"parents sponsorhip join here."
I hope this will answer all your questions.