N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Hi there,

We just started the process of immigrating my South Korean wife to Canada.

Here is our basic summary:

-I'm a Canadian citizen, living and working in South Korea for the last 6 years
-been married for over 3 years

Wondering a couple things, hoping some of you can answer:

1.) Can we start the permanent residency process here, and then move to Canada (with my wife on a tourist visa) while it is being processed? we hope to be hope by next Fall (so I'm a little nervous the process will take too long?)
2.) Is it better to do it from South Korea (overseas) or do it from Canada?
3.) (ties in to my #2.) How does my wife stay in Canada, if we do the process from withIN Canada? her 6 month tourist visa, and then go out and come back in every 6 months until the process is complete?

and finally,

4.) it suggests that I provide "proof of our intention to move to Canada" will a letter from my parents, who will be providing housing until we sort ours, be sufficient?

Thank you

CanAsian

Star Member
Jun 25, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2013
Doc's Request.
26-05-2014
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
10-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-06-2013
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-06-2014
Marticus said:
Hi there,

We just started the process of immigrating my South Korean wife to Canada.

Here is our basic summary:

-I'm a Canadian citizen, living and working in South Korea for the last 6 years
-been married for over 3 years

Wondering a couple things, hoping some of you can answer:

1.) Can we start the permanent residency process here, and then move to Canada (with my wife on a tourist visa) while it is being processed? we hope to be hope by next Fall (so I'm a little nervous the process will take too long?)
2.) Is it better to do it from South Korea (overseas) or do it from Canada?
3.) (ties in to my #2.) How does my wife stay in Canada, if we do the process from withIN Canada? her 6 month tourist visa, and then go out and come back in every 6 months until the process is complete?

and finally,

4.) it suggests that I provide "proof of our intention to move to Canada" will a letter from my parents, who will be providing housing until we sort ours, be sufficient?

Thank you
Hi Marticus,
my situation is almost the same as yours, lived in Korea for about 5 and married for about 3.5 years.

I would recommend, and I'm sure the other guys on this forum would recommend to start the process here. It's a lot faster than doing it inland. A couple people have done that and have moved to Canada while waiting for the PR process to finish. I applied in October and we will be moving to Canada in March to wait out the process. Your wife can stay in Canada for 6 months and it should be easy to extend her visa if neccessary while you are there.

As for ties, I got my brother to write a letter saying that we can stay at his house and he would be willing to help us out in any way. I also got my dad's boss to write a letter stating he knows we are coming back to Canada. He's a CA so him signing it hopefully made it look more legit. I would also recommend including anything else you have but I think just a written letter stating your plans might be good enough.

It seems that getting approved as a sponsor isn't that complicated as long as you have all the documents in order and signed.

If you are planning to move back next fall, I would get on top of getting all the required documents ASAP because it can take some time to get everything together and check multiple times before you send off the package.

amjad1002

Oct 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila phip
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2013
Doc's Request.
07-05-2014
AOR Received.
30-08-2013
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
Med's Request
already sent
Med's Done....
11-08-2013 and redo 08-02-2015
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
02-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3 Feb 2016
if you are working so your job contract must be put.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Hi CanAsian,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I hope you don't mind, but I think I'll be on here a lot, asking a lot of questions :)

Very good to know that we can make plans to head home (we are leaving next September) if the process isn't completed by then! phew! A follow-up question to that is: Do I just notify the office (Manila) to forward the documents (upon completion) to my Canadian address?

We will definetly start the process from here in Korea, thank you very much for your feedback on that. I was researching processing times, after you told me this, and it seems it's a lot quicker from here, rather than back in Canada.

Jess_Konada

Dec 17, 2013
Hi all,
I've been visiting this forum for a few months now (thanks for some of your amazing tips and info) and think it's time to ask you guys something since I'm leaving for Canada soon...

I'm Korean, and married to a Canadian national, who left Korea couple of months ago.
He's currently in Canada, waiting for me and waiting for my visa also.

We've applied for my visa in August, his sponsorship was approved in September, and now we're waiting for my PR to be confirmed.

Here are the questions:
1. Will that be wiser to take a checkup here in Korea before I leave assuming the whole process might take longer than a year? (I did my checkup in July)
2. At the airport, will that be wiser to tell the immigration officer that I'm "VISITING my husband in Canada" or "ATTENDING TO LIVE in Canada and expecting PR?"
3. Now that I'm back to my parents, and he's in Canada, the current address we wrote in the form is no longer our current address. I'll need to change that address to our new home address in Canada to receive my PR, and am wondering if that'll still be considered 'Outside Canada' application.

Thank you so much, and good luck on your application!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jess_Konada said:
Here are the questions:
1. Will that be wiser to take a checkup here in Korea before I leave assuming the whole process might take longer than a year? (I did my checkup in July)
No, do NOT take another medical. You only take a 2nd medical if your visa office specifically asks. Most likely your PR will be approved before your current medical expires, and even if it isn't the VO can sometimes simply extend the validity date.

2. At the airport, will that be wiser to tell the immigration officer that I'm "VISITING my husband in Canada" or "ATTENDING TO LIVE in Canada and expecting PR?"
NEVER ever ever, use the words "living" or "moving" when talking to the immigration officer. You are visiting only, and are fully prepared to leave Canada in less than 6 months. You should also be ready to show proof of return ticket (if they ask, lots of times they don't care).

You can tell them you have a PR application in progress and show them proof of it (receipt payment and sponsor approval), and say you want to visit your spouse while it's being processed. But make sure to stress you intend to leave within 6 months if it is not approved yet, or you can't get a visitor extension.

3. Now that I'm back to my parents, and he's in Canada, the current address we wrote in the form is no longer our current address. I'll need to change that address to our new home address in Canada to receive my PR, and am wondering if that'll still be considered 'Outside Canada' application.
"Outside" Canada only means that your PR is being processed "Outside" Canada. Where you are actually residing, does not matter at all. In our case, my spouse lived with me in Canada during the entire "Outland" process.

Make sure to change your address right away to your Canadian one. When the PR is approved, they will mail COPR to Canadian address, then you will need to drive to nearest USA land border to do official landing, get your PR status and apply for PR card.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
This forum is fantastic! It's literally answer a ton of questions. Mind you I get a little lazy and haven't read through ALL 85 pages of this :)

Question RE: notarizing documents from Korean to English...

I live in Daegu... can I just go to ANY notary public / office, or am I required to go to one officially sanctioned by Canadian Immigration?

Question RE: medical

Looks like some people do it with their initial sponsorship package, and others leave it to later... which is a better option?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
I live in Daegu... can I just go to ANY notary public / office, or am I required to go to one officially sanctioned by Canadian Immigration?
CIC does not sanction translators in Korea, so yes you can go to any lawyer/notary public and the translator of your docs will swear an affidavit attesting to the accuracies of the translations. Many lawyers/notaries either employ or have an association with an English translator. It's best to find one of those. One stop shopping.

Marticus said:
Looks like some people do it with their initial sponsorship package, and others leave it to later... which is a better option?
It probably depends on your plans. If you are going to be staying in Korea during the PR process you could do it later. Personally I think its best to do it just before you submit your application so that there are no delays later.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Marticus said:
Definitely do it upfront.

You could run into 2 issues:
1. CIC could immediately return your application as incomplete, since it states on the checklist the medical is required upfront. Then you would have to re-send everything in again from scratch.
2. If they allow you to do the medical later, when the time comes they will have to send you the request, then will put your application on hold. So this could cause unnecessary delays.

Do it as close to the time as possible to when you mail the app to CPC-Mississauga. Manila processing should not take over 1 year, so you should be ok for the 1 year validity.

mikemckell84

Feb 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2013
Doc's Request.
30-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-03-2013
File Transfer...
09-04-2013
Med's Request
Sent with application
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Just did the drive across the US border and back from Calgary to Toronto and we didn't encounter any problems. Unfortunately, still no word from ECAS, still stuck at in process.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Thanks everyone for the feedback thus far, and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays

A few more questions here:

1.)
My wife went and collected the Korean documents she needs for our application package, from the local Gu office. She was able to attain English versions of them, as well (at least for a couple of them, will have to check exactly which ones later on) but I'm assuming that those will NOT have to be translated? Should I still get them notarized, regardless if they are translated?

2.)
I'm reading / seeing / hearing different things about "Option C." I'm guessing following the application package to the letter is the right way to go about things, but would just like further clarification on getting the CRC's Notice of Assessment. I declared non-residency in 2010, so I haven't filed (confirmed with H&R Block last week that I indeed do not need to file a $0.00 return for those years post-non-residency).. so my question is: do I still call up CRC and get a $0.00 Notice of Assessment mailed to me, here in Korea?

3.)
The "process" of gathering our documents to send for our sponsorship application package has taken (will take) about a month. Is it okay if some documents are dated in early December, and as the process continues, some dated in early January?

Thank you again for all the help!

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
1.) My wife went and collected the Korean documents she needs for our application package, from the local Gu office. She was able to attain English versions of them, as well (at least for a couple of them, will have to check exactly which ones later on) but I'm assuming that those will NOT have to be translated? Should I still get them notarized, regardless if they are translated?
Which documents were in English? There should only be 4 Korean docs you need

1. Family Relation Certificate
2. Marriage Relation Certificate
3. Old (deleted) Family Census Register
4. Korean Criminal History Information Record

All of those were in Korean when my wife obtained them.

Marticus said:
2.) I'm reading / seeing / hearing different things about "Option C." I'm guessing following the application package to the letter is the right way to go about things, but would just like further clarification on getting the CRC's Notice of Assessment. I declared non-residency in 2010, so I haven't filed (confirmed with H&R Block last week that I indeed do not need to file a $0.00 return for those years post-non-residency).. so my question is: do I still call up CRC and get a $0.00 Notice of Assessment mailed to me, here in Korea?
If you request an Option C it will show information for the last year you filed a return. I don't think there is any real correct answer on this one. Some people submitted their applications without Option C and were fine. My view of it was this. The document Checklist says it is a required doc. It is a simple document to obtain (one phone call to CRA) so why not include it and avoid the risk of a delay in your application.

Marticus said:
3.) The "process" of gathering our documents to send for our sponsorship application package has taken (will take) about a month. Is it okay if some documents are dated in early December, and as the process continues, some dated in early January?
The Korean Criminal History Information Record must be less than 3 months old when received by CIC. The Family Relation Certificate must be "recently issued", according to the Korea specific guide. Other than that, there don't seem to be expiry dates for any of the other Korean docs.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Hi bartjones,

Thank you again for the reply. So awesome.

I still haven't figured out how to put portions of conversations into cool purple boxes yet, so please bare with me :)

1.) 3 out of the 4 documents you mentioned, indeed with need translation services. My wife received the "Family Relation" form in both English, and Korean! So I guess I can save a few bucks on translation with that particular form. Mind you, the English is more Konglish than English. But it's readable.

A couple follow-up questions:

1.) Medical:

We are headed to Busan next Friday to one of the designated hospitals / doctors. I'm having trouble find the form I need to bring to the doctor. Do you have a link of where I can find that? I'm supposed to provide an IMM 1017 form, but can't seem to find it. What is the process of getting this? Will the designated doctor at the designated hospital have this with them, and we just collect it from him/her?

2.) Package:

I read back in this thread, in page 30 or something, can't recall exactly... but once you have all the documents compiled, how did you send them? I bought 3 file folders and have tucked them into order, according to the checklist. Just want to know if there is an "official" way to send them? I figured having it super organized would be good for CIC on the other end? Or would they just prefer a stack of papers?

3.) Photos:

My wife got 10 of these done today (3.5 x 4.5cm). Do they need to be signed, dated on the back (along the lines of passport photo details?)
Thank you again!

4.) Sponsorship Evaluation Form:

I'm sponsoring my wife, so the total number would be me (1) + my wife (1) = 2, correct? Sorry, probably a silly question, just confused on the wording of it all.

Also, with the 2nd page, it looks like I don't have to fill out any of those columns, as I have NO previous undertakings, do I just leave it blank? is it better to put an "N/A" for each? I really don't know how specific they want me to be (they = CIC)

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
1.) 3 out of the 4 documents you mentioned, indeed with need translation services. My wife received the "Family Relation" form in both English, and Korean! So I guess I can save a few bucks on translation with that particular form. Mind you, the English is more Konglish than English. But it's readable.
You're lucky! If the gu office gave you the entire document in both languages, you're correct, it doesn't need to be translated.

1.) Medical:

We are headed to Busan next Friday to one of the designated hospitals / doctors. I'm having trouble find the form I need to bring to the doctor. Do you have a link of where I can find that? I'm supposed to provide an IMM 1017 form, but can't seem to find it. What is the process of getting this? Will the designated doctor at the designated hospital have this with them, and we just collect it from him/her?
This one is a little confusing as I believe they changed the process for doing medicals last summer. I'm not sure you need to bring IMM1017 anymore if you do your medical up front. The document checklist now suggests that the panel physician provides it to you. I think you only need to bring photos and perhaps not even those. (see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp) My suggestion would be that you contact the doctor in Busan who is doing your medical and ask him what you need to bring.

2.) Package:

I read back in this thread, in page 30 or something, can't recall exactly... but once you have all the documents compiled, how did you send them? I bought 3 file folders and have tucked them into order, according to the checklist. Just want to know if there is an "official" way to send them? I figured having it super organized would be good for CIC on the other end? Or would they just prefer a stack of papers?
There is no 'official' way to compile your application. Personally, I broke it down into three separate manilla envelopes

(i) Sponsor's Application and Supporting Documents
(ii) Principal Applicants Application and Supporting Documents
(iii) Additional Supporting Documents

I tabbed and numbered all the supporting documents and referenced them by number when I referred to them in the application.

Others used their own methods. Since two different visa offices deal with the sponsor's and principal applicant's applications, I think it's wise to separate the sponsorship application from the principal applicant's material. Other than that, you can compile it any way you feel it is best organized.

I liked the way the OP in this thread organized his (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-i-organized-our-applcation-and-a-summary-of-all-helpful-tips-i-have-learned-t92449.0.html) and followed pretty much the same method with ours.

3.) Photos:

My wife got 10 of these done today (3.5 x 4.5cm). Do they need to be signed, dated on the back (along the lines of passport photo details?)
No, they're not like passport photos. I seem to recall that you need to write your wife's name and date of birth on the back of each photo, but I can't recall where I read that.

4.) Sponsorship Evaluation Form:

I'm sponsoring my wife, so the total number would be me (1) + my wife (1) = 2, correct? Sorry, probably a silly question, just confused on the wording of it all.
Correct, '2' is the right answer (I'm assuming you have no non-Canadian children).

Also, with the 2nd page, it looks like I don't have to fill out any of those columns, as I have NO previous undertakings, do I just leave it blank? is it better to put an "N/A" for each? I really don't know how specific they want me to be (they = CIC)
Assuming that this is your first sponsorship application, yes, you can leave all of section 5 blank.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Thank you again for ALL your help!

Question 1.) Filling in the Blanks

I'm going through now and typing up all the applications, the instructions say I should write "NA or Not Applicable" for any blanks?

Am I to assume that I need to fill out EVERY SINGLE blank box with an "NA?" (or only when stated?)

Question 2.) Korean Won vs. Canadian Dollar

Filling out my Sponsorship Evaluation and Sponsor Questionnaire.. they are asking for income? Did you convert it to Canadian dollars? or did you use Korean Won? I guess my question is, conversion will always leave a little inaccuracy, so how accurate do I need to be?

Question 3.) Sponsor Questionnaire Question 8 (list the places you've lived at, if you have lived outside of Canada)

Do I need to list ALL the places I've lived? like, ever? I'm guessing I've lived in about 10 different places outside of Canada!

Question 4.) Sponsor Questionnaire Question 11 (proof of intention to live in Canada)

We'll be living with my folks, while I shop for places to live and job hunt (unless I score a skype interview or something from here) Will a letter from my parents suffice stating that we'll be staying with them until we find our feet?

Question 5.) Interview

On the general application for my wife, there is an "interview language" selection. She speaks English fine, and doesn't want to complicate things by adding her native language (Korean, in which she'd have to select "yes" for a translator), but she's a little worried that the interview questions might be beyond her English fluency depth? Any insight on this?

Question 6.) #14 on the checklist "Photocopy of your marriage certificate, IF you have a co-signer and he or she is your spouse

I'm doing this application without my wife as a co-signer, do I still need to submit some sort of documentation to cover this base?

Question 7.) Forms that don't apply to us

Do I still need to fill out these and write "N/A" on all of them? that is probably a dumb question. But no harm in asking right? :)

Question 8.) "Additional Dependents / Declaration (IMM 008DEP)" #8 on the checklist. It's just me, sponsoring my wife. Does she need to fill out this form?

Question 9.) Schedule A - Background / Declaration form(s)

Only my wife does this (principal applicant) OR should we BOTH do this form?

bartjones, and everyone, i can't thank you ENOUGH for all the help you are giving us two!