+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Korean wife for permanent residency

steveohan

Dec 3, 2014
I see. Thanks for the response. Did they send the email to you (sponsor), or the applicant?

Also, when did you receive SA? Just trying to figure out my timeframe.

wonnie

Mar 31, 2015
steveohan said:
I see. Thanks for the response. Did they send the email to you (sponsor), or the applicant?

Also, when did you receive SA? Just trying to figure out my timeframe.
The letter was sent to both of us with CC to my sponsor on April 21 2015. It says they do not need any additional documents from me at this time.

My timeline is..
Applied on December 17 2014
SA March 11 2015
AOR2 Manila VO received my application on March 17 2015

To be honest, I was surprised to receive a letter without any additional documents required. Hope it helps!

steveohan

Dec 3, 2014
Wow we are on very similar timelines. I applied Jan 5, and received SA on March 15.

I keep pestering my wife about checking her email. We are kinda regretting putting her naver email address on her app. Should have just created a dedicated gmail ID.

I'll keep a look out this week then.

Thanks for your quick replies!

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello ! I have looked around quite a bit on this forum and under other topics.
My boyfriend and I are going to apply for common law, just in the process of getting all of the documents together. I know this isnt a section for common law but wondering if anyone has an answer to this!

We have to prove that we have lived together so I want to include home bills for gas, heat, water, etc that have been either in my name, his name, or both of our names to the same address. Would I need to include translations (we have been living in Korea), and notarize them all to be true translations of each bill for each of the 12 months? Or do you think 1 translation of each type of bill is okay? The only thing that changes on the bills are the month/date, and the numbers of the amounts of the things we used like water or gas, etc. I was thinking maybe its a bit excessive to translate and certify 12 months of bills that are all the same (other than dates and usage numbers). Or is that what CIC wants? Should they be translated and certified? Or can he simply translate them and write the english beside? or should they be translated by a professional translator service? Does anyone have any input/suggestions?
Thanks! I realize something like the family relation certificate should be translated by a professional and certified/notarized to be true.. but is it the same for something simple like bills? or other random things like receipts that we use as part of our common law application

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, the government docs need to be translated and notarized by professionals. but I would simply send original copies of bills together and write in English by myself. or you can call hydro or gas company and ask if they provide English copy(maybe..) .
hope it helps.

Van Rooster

Jan 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
I'd refer to this as the safest option..

Any document that is not in English or French must be accompaniedby:

the English or French translation; and
an affidavit from the person who completed the translation; and
a certified copy of the original document.

Perhaps it's overkill for the utility bills but why mess around with CIC. I would take each bill that identifies you both as being at the same address and get 3 copies each: one for when they started, one in the middle and the latest one.

This is just my opinion. Rob_TO knows more about the common law app I believe.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Thank you Van Rooster and floomy!

I guess that makes sense to just do one near the start, middle, and end! 12 of each is kind of excessive haha

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
NRSY said:
Thank you Van Rooster and floomy!

I guess that makes sense to just do one near the start, middle, and end! 12 of each is kind of excessive haha
I agree, no need to show 12 bills. Samples from beginning, middle and end should be more than enough, and much cheaper to get translated.

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Perfect, Thanks!!

And i would like to get all of the documents from korea together before we move to canada in august so then it saves the hassle of going to the korean consulate in Toronto. Also, I have researched and its much cheaper to get things translated here. I noticed for the Family Relation certificate it says that it shouldn't be an old copy and should be fairly recent.. how recent do you think fairly recent is? haha If I get my boyfriend to get it within the next month or so and we get it translated and certified in korea, and don't apply for PR until January (about 8 months from now) do you think that is recent enough?

Thanks so much in advance ! :D

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
think all government docs are good for a year, if it is older than a year, VO would ask you to send fresh one.

not sure about the criminal record check certificate though. (it is only good for 6 month in Korea )

NRSY

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2016
AOR Received.
02-03-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Okay perfect, thank you floomy!

jalee5225

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
09-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
File Transfer...
05-10-2015
Med's Request
Sent with app
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
3/9/2016
LANDED..........
3/9/2016
Just the final step before I send away my application!!

When I send the package, do I put everything (sponsorship forms, immigration forms, evidence etc) in one package and mail it to the same place?
I plan on paying extra and sending it registered, so would I send it to:

Sponsorship: (Type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre ─ Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, Ontario
L5A 4N6

or

Sponsorship: (type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 300
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8

Also in terms of type of sponsorship (I'm doing spousal) do I have to indicate outland or inland (doing inland) in anyway, or is that evident by the forms I am submitting?

Also, paid my fees, but noticed there was a box in the payment portion of the CIC site, that had Spousal/Common Law as a separate option that principal applicant. It charged more, $475 vs $550, but the 3900 Guide from the site mentions nothing about it so I paid:

$75 sponsor
$475 principal applicant
$490 Right for PR

Hope that $550 doesn't come back to bite us in the butt, as it is not listed on the 3900 guide that is located on the government website.

Thanks!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jalee5225 said:
Just the final step before I send away my application!!

When I send the package, do I put everything (sponsorship forms, immigration forms, evidence etc) in one package and mail it to the same place?
I plan on paying extra and sending it registered, so would I send it to:

Sponsorship: (Type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre ─ Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, Ontario
L5A 4N6

or

Sponsorship: (type of sponsorship*)
Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 300
Mississauga, ON
L4Z 1H8
If using a courier service with delivery notification, you need to use the Robert Speck address as someone will sign for it. The first one is for regular mail (PO box) so you won't get a confirmation of delivery.

Also in terms of type of sponsorship (I'm doing spousal) do I have to indicate outland or inland (doing inland) in anyway, or is that evident by the forms I am submitting?
The packages are different for inland and outland, so they should be able to tell. However many people also write a cover letter/table of contents, and also write inland or outland (CIC has made mistakes on this in the past).

Just note for a Korean citizen, there is not much point to apply inland as you will be waiting 27 months (as of last count) to get PR. An outland app through Manila should take 12 months or less in many cases.

Also, paid my fees, but noticed there was a box in the payment portion of the CIC site, that had Spousal/Common Law as a separate option that principal applicant. It charged more, $475 vs $550, but the 3900 Guide from the site mentions nothing about it so I paid:

$75 sponsor
$475 principal applicant
$490 Right for PR

Hope that $550 doesn't come back to bite us in the butt, as it is not listed on the 3900 guide that is located on the government website.
You are right, $1040 is the correct total amount.

If you do the inland application, make sure you also submit the app for OWP along with PR app and pay that fee as well.

jalee5225

Jul 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
09-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
File Transfer...
05-10-2015
Med's Request
Sent with app
Med's Done....
Sent with app
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
3/9/2016
LANDED..........
3/9/2016
Doing outland, so hopefully that is all. Now I wish I had written a cover letter with a check list, but hopefully they figure that out.

Well it's all submitted, the only thing I think they may ask for is a new criminal record check, but my wife will grab a new one before she comes just in case.

Thanks so much for everyone's help with this!

Van Rooster

Jan 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-04-2015
Med's Request
sent with app
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2015
LANDED..........
22-06-2015
Just got an e-mail this morning. They processed my wife's app in Mississauga...

Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence Form(s) to Canada is/are ready to be issued, conditional to a final admissibility review by an immigration officer.

They're asking for another copy of her passport info page, Appendix A and 2 photos. Did we really just get COPR that quickly?? :eek: