Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
Thanks everyone,

Lassssssssssst question before I leave!...

I'm arriving 2 months earlier than my wife (and our stuff that is being shipped by slow boat) Actually, the delivery guys from Onnury Green shipping (forgot who recommended them to me, but THANK YOU! they've been great, and quite affordable I think)

So anyways, Onnury guys are coming August 4th to pack, list our items for shipping. That's about 3 weeks after I get to Canada (my wife is taking care of the stuff here in Korea). What do I tell customs? or what do I fill out when i get home this week? ... Do I tell them stuff is coming to Canada... eventually...? or do I just tick the box that says I'm not bringing anything extra with me... since nothing has been shipped officially yet?

Thanks everyone!
You're going to need to make a list of everything you're shipping and declare those items when you arrive as "good to follow later" if you want to avoid taxes/duties. Since the movers won't be coming until after you leave, you'll need to make that list yourself. The descriptions don't need to be that specific. You will need to attach a value to each item. Are you shipping a lot of things?

onwards

Dec 16, 2013
bartjones said:
You're going to need to make a list of everything you're shipping and declare those items when you arrive as "good to follow later" if you want to avoid taxes/duties. Since the movers won't be coming until after you leave, you'll need to make that list yourself. The descriptions don't need to be that specific. You will need to attach a value to each item. Are you shipping a lot of things?
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a while on the forums. Just thought I would share my customs experience since it seems relevant to the discussion. Like bartjones said you should make a list of everything you will ship to Canada. The moving company I went with gave me a form to fill out after all the packing was done. We then went box by box and I just wrote down a basic description of the contents. You don't have to be super specific for example for kitchen stuff you can put "cooking utensils" instead of "3 spoons, 1 knife" etc etc. Just for reference the format of the sheet that the moving company gave me had 3 columns "Item number, Articles, Value) of course you can create your own format.

A caveat here is if you want to be safe you should make your list as detailed as possible. In my case it worked with the format that the moving company gave me, but I have a feeling some customs officers are more strict than others.

Once you are on the plane make sure you tick "goods to follow" on the customs form the stewardess will give you. When you get to the airport you have to fill out the B4 form with the customs officer. It's a pretty simple form if you just show him the list of goods you made beforehand.

Ok here is the mistake that I made that you should avoid: Make sure you prove to the customs officer that you were out of Canada for at least 12 months. If you don't you are not eligible for the former resident tariff exclusion. Assuming that you were a resident of South Korea you have to prove this by showing for example your Korean work contract etc. I didn't know about the 12 month rule and I got flustered by the officer's question. After waiting in the immigration lines for 2.5 hours with an irritated toddler I didn't think to show my work contract to him, but instead stupidly told him the last time I was in Canada was last year July (just visiting) which made it look like I was just out for 11 months. Anyway he told me he couldn't do any customs paperwork for me because I didn't have proof so I was shown out the door.

A few days after that I had to call customs, explained my situation and the lady on the phone told me go back to the airport to declare my goods to follow again. This second time the process went without a hitch. It helped that I downloaded and filled out the B4 form beforehand. If you have been living and working in Korea for over 12 months you have to remember to emphasize this! Show proof like your contract etc. Also make sure you emphasize that you are coming back to Canada for good.

Ok here is another thing I learned. When I declared the second time the customs guy at the desk asked if I was shipping any electronics over. I told him yes - two computers etc. He told me to write down the serial numbers of the computers. Of course I didn't have that info so then he told me the authorities may seize electronics without serial numbers and make me pay duties. Then I just basically told him that the computers weren't the standard Dell, HP etc (the ones you buy as a package), but that I put the systems together myself, therefore I didn't have a serial number that manufacturers stamp on the machines. The guy also asked me how long I've had the computers I told him 5 years. After that it seemed like he gave up on the computers and just did all the paperwork for me.

Not sure what will happen to my computers because my shipment hasn't come yet, but it looks like from the documents and stamps on the B4 that I've cleared customs for my shipment.

Ok so in summary BEFORE you get on the plane to go back to Canada make sure you:
1. Make a list of goods you will ship back
2. fill out the B4 form (download it from the Canadian customs site) or fill it out at the airport when you declare.
3. if you have any electronics make sure you write down the SERIAL numbers and put it on the list (they may also ask you how long you've had them)

Hope this helps....

onwards

Dec 16, 2013
Marticus said:
Hi everyone, got my *first* email from Manila today. haha yay, guess this means they actually received my package from Mississauga

Anyways, I have to provide further details, both of which I provided already, but I'll do it again. Cutting n' pasting below:

A couple questions for the two documents I need to send:

1.) Appendix A: I forget, and I always get them confused: On this form specificially, who is who? My wife (Korean) is the principal applicant, and I'm the spouse? or visa-versa?

2.) Intent: Lots of discussion about this one, so I think I'm all set. I'm going to provide everything I provided before, with the addition of a 'job offer' and a 'plane ticket.' (I didn't have these documents before as I hadn't even begun the process of job searching etc... Luckily, I was able to get a job while still being in Korea! Added to this is, since I'm still in Korea, I'll be getting everything sent to me via email, and then I'll be printing it out over here, is that cool (like sending my job offer / job info across, but it not being the Canadian original?) So, in total for this one, I'm going to send:

a.) courier company forms b.) 'plan of attack' essay written by myself c.) animal shipping correspondence d.) job offer e.) parent's accomodation support letter f.) plane ticket

Will this cover all my bases here?

Thank you!
Hi Marticus anyone else who got a similar message,

Just a little background: I sent in my application in for sponsorship and my wife's PR in early Jan. 2014.
I just came back from Korea a few weeks ago (June 20) and I got a similar email from Manilla:

"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada as a member of the family class. The
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations of Canada set the following requirements for
sponsorship:

Subsection 130 (2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection regulations of Canada states that:
(2) A sponsor who is a Canadian citizen and does not reside in Canada may sponsor an
application by their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent child if the
sponsor will reside in Canada when the applicant becomes a permanent resident.

Based on the documents you submitted, I am not satisfied that your sponsor intends to reside in Canada
once you obtain your status as a permanent resident.
If your sponsor can demonstrate that he will reside in Canada before or when you become a permanent
resident, it may be possible to proceed with your application.

Any evidence or submission which you or your sponsor may wish to provide must be received by this
office within forty-five (45) days from the date of this letter. If we have not received a response within
that time, your application will be assessed based on the information available on file, which may result in
a refusal.

Only original documents or, when unavailable, certified documents are acceptable.

The file number noted above must be included on all correspondence with this office.

Sincerely,
Family Class Section
Family Reunification Unit
Embassy of Canada, Manila"

I'm quite worried and not sure what to make of this. In my sponsorship application that I handed in Jan. 2014 I included emails of my job search, letters of support from my family members and friends and a letter from my dad stating that he is willing to let me and my family stay in the house until I can get housing of our own- I have already gotten a letter from Mississauga accepting me as a sponsor for my wife.
So these are documents aren't enough to convince them?

For more proof I'm thinking of sending:
1. Letter from my dad stating that we are currently staying at his house and I have come back to Canada for good and have intent to stay forever
2. bank statement
3. Ontario driver's license (switched over from my Korean one a few weeks ago)
4. receipt for OHIP for re-applying for OHIP
5. original letter from my previous job in Korea stating that I didn't renew another contract with them, moved out of company housing and moved back to Canada
6. brief plan of job hunting essay
7. my one way plane ticket from Incheon to Toronto
8. receipt for shipping expenses from Korea to Canada

I've only been back in Canada for a few weeks and I'm about to go talk to various contacts about jobs. How do I document this? Should I just write it in my essay?
I mean from the letter it seems that they just want proof that I "will reside in Canada before or when you become a permanent
resident". I'm kind of freaking out. Is having a job already the strongest prove that I "intend" to stay in Canada? I have a feeling actually securing employment will take longer than the 45 day time limit.

Is there any other bomb-proof evidence that I should include to show that I am here in Canada already and intend to stay? Thanks for your help in advance.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
onwards said:
Is there any other bomb-proof evidence that I should include to show that I am here in Canada already and intend to stay? Thanks for your help in advance.
I think what you have is enough. This business of asking for additional proof of your intent to return to Canada seems to be something everyone has been getting lately, even those who have actually returned to Canada and resumed residency there. IMO it's just a new way for Manila to delay dealing with your application and I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello.

I am about to mail my supporting doc they requested and
what is exact address Manila office?

thank you in advance.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Hey onwards,

RE: customs declaration

THANK YOU very much for all the times onwards (and bartjones) I am sure you have saved me A TON of headaches! I was under the 'assumption" that I could just show up to customs upon shipment arrival a few months later and sort everything out from there! So, thank you!

Your interesting is similar to mine, with the exception of the 'wording' I didn't have any content saying "I'm not satisfied" or "send orginals only." Actually, on the original checklist for the immigration, it clearly states "Do NOT send original copies, unless specifically refered to" ... the intent part does NOT specifically ask for originals! Although, many folks here say, if you have originals, it's probably better than sending scans / photocopies... I'm assuming BOTH are okay, since BOTH avenues have been granted residency.

I would say that since you are ALREADY in Canada, you are totally good to go! Even the postmark on the envelope alone should be proof enough!

Marticus

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Here is the Manila address I got in my email message:

MUST send your package by COURIER TO:

Embassy of Canada

Level 6, Tower 2, RCBC Plaza
6819 Ayala Avenue

Makati City 1200
Philippines

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
A couple follow-up questions here re: Goods to Follow

I tracked down a very detailed list of what you need to do, re: making a list & the B4 Form (also downloaded that):

Just looking for a couple quick answers here:

1.) I'm bringing my 'regular' stuff home in one bag + 1 carry-on. Do I need to make a seperate list of those items that I'm bringing with me (in my two bags that I will be actually bringing with me on Wednesday)? I have an external hard drive, an ipod, an ipad mini and personal effects / clothing. Stuff to keep me going until my wife and goods get home about 8 weeks later.

2.) I have 4 hours between flights when I arrive to Vancouver (first Canada entry point) till my flight to Edmonton. Enough time to get it sorted with immigration?

3.) Electronics. My wife is trying to sell off the remaining electronics we have. If we do NOT sell them, we'll ship them. If we DO sell them, they won't be accompanying us home (obviously) So, do I list them just to be sure? and if they aren't accompanying us (but on the list) No big deal?

4.) Pets. We are shipping them across. Also put them down on the B4? or is this something completely different (we are already deadling with a pet courier company here who is handling our immigration / customs stuff)

5.) My wife's personal effects and mine are all mixed together. Do I claim her stuff as well on just the one B4 form, and then she won't have to claim any *new* stuff when she arrives? (they are all being shipped together)

Thanks!

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Marticus said:
A couple follow-up questions here re: Goods to Follow

1.) I'm bringing my 'regular' stuff home in one bag + 1 carry-on. Do I need to make a seperate list of those items that I'm bringing with me (in my two bags that I will be actually bringing with me on Wednesday)? I have an external hard drive, an ipod, an ipad mini and personal effects / clothing. Stuff to keep me going until my wife and goods get home about 8 weeks later.

- you do not need to claim any of the stuff that you are bringing home with you on the flight.

2.) I have 4 hours between flights when I arrive to Vancouver (first Canada entry point) till my flight to Edmonton. Enough time to get it sorted with immigration?

- we did this on Saturday and we had 2:15 between flights and made it to our connection.

3.) Electronics. My wife is trying to sell off the remaining electronics we have. If we do NOT sell them, we'll ship them. If we DO sell them, they won't be accompanying us home (obviously) So, do I list them just to be sure? and if they aren't accompanying us (but on the list) No big deal?

- This one I am not sure about. We had our list that was sent to us by Onnurry Green, and we simply showed them that paper. We were asked to go into a back room and fill out a form, and that was it. You do have to make sure that the stuff being shipped is all in your name though. If it is in your wife's name, you will have to pay taxes on it.

5.) My wife's personal effects and mine are all mixed together. Do I claim her stuff as well on just the one B4 form, and then she won't have to claim any *new* stuff when she arrives? (they are all being shipped together)

- put it all in your name. I am not sure how this will work at her port of entry though. You won't be there, so I am not sure if they will put up a stink or not.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
Thanks Red Tape Sucks,

Good to know. Onnury Green (as per your recommendation, thank you!) doesn't come to our place in Korea till August 5th, so I have to make this "list" up. Mind telling me what they had for 'headings' on the list?

I'm assuming it's something like:

-Item Description----Make & Model --- Serial Number (if applicable) --- Value ($CDN)

? does that look right. I'm literally taking a tally of stuff as we speak. We have about 20 bins worth of stuff, so i went like:

-Item Description----Make & Model --- Serial Number (if applicable) --- Value ($CDN)
Clothing - T-Shirts ------ ---- various ---- n/a------------------------------ $50

I didn't specifically list 'how many' and 'what brand' - looks good?

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
Marticus said:
Thanks Red Tape Sucks,

Good to know. Onnury Green (as per your recommendation, thank you!) doesn't come to our place in Korea till August 5th, so I have to make this "list" up. Mind telling me what they had for 'headings' on the list?

I'm assuming it's something like:

? does that look right. I'm literally taking a tally of stuff as we speak. We have about 20 bins worth of stuff, so i went like:

Clothing - T-Shirts ------ ---- various ---- n/a------------------------------ $50

I didn't specifically list 'how many' and 'what brand' - looks good?
At the top of the page they boxes for

Shipper: last name, first name
Seoul, Korea *both the shipper and consignee are listed as me

Consignee: last name, first name
Toronto, Canada

Telephone number:

Email:

To: Toronto (wherever your final destination is)

Other reference: "No Commercial Value"

ONNURY GREEN SHIPPING CO., LTD
TEL: 82-2-326-2489
FAX: 070-8224-4276

Then the list

2 collums

Shipping Marks No. Kindpkgs. Goods Description Unit Price

P'KGS:1-34 1. Toys, frame *We have had a great experience with
(this is simply 2. clothes ONNURY, but this part, they didn't do.
how many are being 3. Books The lady at immigration just told me to
sent) 4. Glassware write down the total that we insured the boxes
etc for. For you, I would write a total beside each
etc box. More of a rough guess tan an actual
Total: 34 Packages number.
*Freight Prepaid*

* as a side note, we were not asked about any of our electrons that were shipped. But having the serial numbers sounds like a great idea. It probably depends on which side of the bed the immigration agent gets up on.

seoulcanada

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Just received email asking for appendix A and certificate of entry /exit....

I wonder if they are asking for it now just because some people did include it?

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Marticus said:
No. Only list goods that are not accompanying you and will follow later.

Should be plenty of time.

Yes, list it all. If you sell it later, just tell CBSA that (if they ask). Remember, anything you don't list that arrives later will be subject to taxes/duties.

4.) Pets. We are shipping them across. Also put them down on the B4? or is this something completely different (we are already deadling with a pet courier company here who is handling our immigration / customs stuff)
No.

I claimed her stuff as mine and it wasn't an issue. Mind you, if someone at CBSA had taken the time to poke around and open some boxes, they might have wondered why I owned so many pairs of women's shoes.

The CBSA officer in Vancouver who processed my B4 form basically said that when the goods arrived in Canada, they would do a cursory inspection to make sure the shipment generally matched what was claimed on the list. She said that it was unlikely they would actually open any boxes. She said they are basically looking for larger unclaimed items like cars, and aren't usually too concerned with smaller stuff.

Marticus

Star Member
Dec 16, 2013
Daegu, South Korea
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2014
Doc's Request.
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
13-02-2014
Med's Done....
31-12-2013
Interview........
N/R
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
16-09-2014
@red tape sucks
@bartjones

Thanks again!

Just polished off the list and looks from what you are saying and from what I've researched extra with online that I'll be alright.

Ended up categoring the items into 5 different sections:

1.) electronics (included things like accessories and cables) included serial numbers for anything that I could fine (didn't do that for my desktop computer as it's all custom built and inside the tower)
2.) supplies (stationary, random trinkets, souvenirs)
3.) books & files (anything with paper, basically)
4.) home decor (bed, a few other small things)
5.) clothing (men's and women's clothing - ha ha)

broke it down by "Item Description, Make & Model, Value"

Then, made sub-totals for each category (each was under 1 page, most under 1/2 a page)
Then, made a final total / summary (including how many bins / boxes they are in [over-estimated on a couple as we are still packing])

Total estimated value came out to about 9300 CDN.

Filling out the B4 form now, and will just mark the 5 categories down and say "see attached sheet"

Thanks everyone!

Red Tape Sucks

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Seoul
Category........
Visa Office......
Manilla
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 17, 2014
AOR Received.
February 19, 2014
Med's Done....
With application
VISA ISSUED...
July 29, 2014
LANDED..........
August 20, 2014
@Marticus

I am not sure about this, just kind of thinking out loud, but you might want to try and make it as specific as possible per box. Make your list, and then ask ONNORY to pack it as you have written down. That way, your list will perfectly match what shows up. If customs look at your boxes and find that they don't match, you might run into some problems.

Again, this is just a thought that popped into my head.