+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my brother who is a refugee in another country

Neds

May 22, 2016
Hello. My brother has refugee status in another country, however, his Residency status has not been granted yet. There is a chance of rejection for residency in the host country in europe, and it is not safe for him to go back to our home country. Is it possible if I can sponsor him as refugee to bring him to Canada? I am Canadian citizen for years and have enough Financial support to do it. What should I do?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are private sponsorship option where private citizens are required to cover the costs of the 1st year in Canada. That is not necessarily a quick solution. You are likely looking at over 2 years wait and maybe much longer because there are limited number of people admitted each year. Believe that for a single person you need to raise around 15K.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Or you can sponsor him under Group of Five Sponsorship where 5 Canadian citizens or permanent residents have to gather and sign an agreement that they will be responsible for him for the first 12 months of his arrival.

Keep in mind that in order to sponsor him under any private sponsorship program, ur brother must be recognized as a refugee by the UNCHR, or the country he’s currently living in showing that’s he’s a refugee there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Or you can sponsor him under Group of Five Sponsorship where 5 Canadian citizens or permanent residents have to gather and sign an agreement that they will be responsible for him for the first 12 months of his arrival.

Keep in mind that in order to sponsor him under any private sponsorship program, ur brother must be recognized as a refugee by the UNCHR, or the country he’s currently living in showing that’s he’s a refugee there.
Private sponsorship options take years.

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Private sponsorship options take years.
Correct, it takes about 3 years, and that’s still way faster than when he claims refugee protection in Canada (5 years) because once he arrives here in Canada under private sponsorship, he will be granted permanent residency in the airport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Correct, it takes about 3 years, and that’s still way faster than when he claims refugee protection in Canada (5 years) because once he arrives here in Canada under private sponsorship, he will be granted permanent residency in the airport.
The OP sounds like he is looking for a solution because his brother could be deported soon. Given the demand from some of the leftover private sponsorships for Syrian refugee or their extended families sounds like the waiting list has increased so maybe looking at over 3 years.

Reactions: live&love