+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring husband from Morocco

danesnpits

Dec 21, 2007
Aberdeen, Saskatchewan
Hi everyone!! Thanks for the welcome!! I have not even begun to sponsor yet...I am not even sure if I will qualify considering I get disability through social assistance. I do work 2 jobs and have held those jobs for 3 years..just hoping I get approved to even be a sponsor! If anyone wants to chat on msn or through email I would love to talk! I am guessing everyone here has married a moroccan? I am very glad to be here and love to hear the success stories for getting the visa's!!!

RoxanneAbdel

Feb 12, 2008
Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been on here as I have been travelling for work. Abdel and I have decided to get married in July and I am busily arranging all of the paperwork I can gather before I go back to Marrakech. This will be my sixth trip in 1 year! It's a good thing I do some work in Morocco so I can write some of this off! I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you can answer. First, I am divorced and I am sending my divorce certificate to the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa for authentication. Has anyone else had to do this? How long did it take? Also, I have asked a French speaking lawyer in Vancouver to prepare the affidavit for me before going to Morocco. Did most of you have this done before you went to Morocco or did you hire a Moroccan lawyer to do it? My last question is a little more tricky. I am basically self employed. I am a partner in an incorporated company in Canada and I get paid dividends. As far as a work certificate is concerned, I was thinking of having my documents of incorporation showing me as a 50% shareholder notarized as well as my income tax return for 2007. Do you think that will be sufficient? Or perhaps my dividend statement will be enough? If anyone has some insight or a recommendation about that I would greatly appreciate it.

To all of you who have gotten good news and been reunited with your loved ones, congratulations! To those of you still waiting, my heart aches for you. Becca, your pain is PALPABLE through the computer screen!!!! I am praying that the universe will see fit to ensure you and your husband are together soon! I wish there was something I could do to help you. Life is so short and you should NOT have to wait for it to start. I am in a fortunate position because my company has interests in Morocco and Italy. I am actually moving there with my son for 6 months to oversee our operations and I would be doing this whether I was getting married or not. After we get married I will be returning to Canada for about a month and a half (basically for Ramadan) and then I will be moving to Marrakech starting the first of October until the end of April 2009. I am hoping that my soon-to-be husband's immigration papers will be completed by the time my son and I have to come back to Canada and then we can come back together as a family. I am also hoping that it will play in his favour during the interview that I will be living with him in Morocco at the time. Does anyone have any experience with this?

On another note, there may be a way that I can help some of you once your spouses get to Canada. I own an employment agency that helps people with hotel and restaurant experience find jobs in Canada. Actually, my reason for working in Morocco is that we are recruiting temporary foreign workers from Morocco to work in Canada for two years. They do NOT receive a permanent resident card! And if they are married to a Canadian citizen and trying to immigrate here, we can NOT get them a work permit under this program as they will be refused because they have another file open with the Consulate. I wish this could be an easy answer for everyone but unfortunately, it isn't. However, if any of your spouses have work experience and/or education in the hotel and restaurant industry, I may be able to assist them in finding a job in Canada when they arrive. Please check out my website at www.pegmoves.com. You will see that I am legitimate! LOL! Also, this is FREE for anyone looking for a job. I get paid by the companies who hire the candidates. Now there are NO guarantees that I can help but I will try. The only requirement is that they must have at least 1 year of recent experience working in the hospitality industry, preferrably as a manager. We have offices in Vancouver and Toronto and we service clients all over Canada. If anyone has any questions, feel free to email me at roxanne@pegmoves.com.

Thank you all for sharing everything. This board is amazing and truly supportive. I am praying for everyone.

Roxanne

confused and lonely

Star Member
Jun 9, 2007
Welcome to all the new members and congrates to all that have recieved the good news of getting your visa's and interviews this is all so great to hear. I hope all are doing good with all this waiting and praying for something to happen soon. This has to be the hardest thing a person has to do is sit and wait for government to decide if husbands and wives should be together I never dreamed it would be this hard or take this long. My prayers are with everyone to hear something soon for those of us still waiting and also for those that are going to there spouses a safe trip to their new homes.

Becca

Star Member
Jul 27, 2007
Roxanne, Are you in Vancouver? I am in Vancouver, in SoMain/Mount Pleasant.

I sent my divorce papers in and if I remember correctly it took almost exactly four weeks.

I had my affadavit done here in Vancouver at a French Notary Public (Alma @ Broadway) and had absolutely no problems at all. And my husband and I filed our papers in Marrakech too (my hubby is from Marrakech).

As for the questions about your work certificate, I think your fiance should inquire with the necessary people in Marrakech. We did our marriage in Marrakech, took a full three weeks from start to finish. We hired a lawyer in Marrakech and that was a godsend. He only cost about the equivalent of 50 euros and he did EVERYTHING with us. And usually with him, we went to the front of most lineups etc. Money very well spent.

Thanks for your well wishes. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

RoxanneAbdel

Feb 12, 2008
Hi Becca,

I'm in Pitt Meadows! I would love to get together with you for coffee or something. And I also know another Moroccan couple who live in Mount Pleasant and they are so kind that I'm sure they would be happy to meet you and your husband once he finally arrives in Canada. It might make him feel a little closer to home to speak in his own language. I read that your husband is from Marrakech and I was hoping that maybe I could connect him with my fiance to tell him all about this stuff for Canada. Let me know if your husband would like to do that. Did you happen to keep the name and telephone number of the lawyer in Marrakech? That would be of great assistance to us. It's crazy because I work in 5 countries and yet I'm intimidated by all of this stuff! My trip this summer for our wedding will be a total of 6 weeks but I need to spend two of those working in Italy so I'm a little worried I won't have enough time for everything. And my fiance can't go to Italy with me so that means we have 4 weeks total to do everything. I might try to squeeze another two weeks onto it. Did you send your divorce certificate via regular mail to Foreign Affairs or by courier? Did you also ask them to translate it into French? I was thinking about getting EVERYTHING translated into Arabic before I left for Morocco. Do you think that will help? I have so many questions and I would love to talk to you. And my fiance is so excited but a little scared by all the process we must go through! This is crazy but I know it will be worth it. Take care and I hope to hear from you soon.

Roxanne

Becca

Star Member
Jul 27, 2007
Thanks for the info. I know there is only about 100 Moroccans in Vancouver right now, so it is a small population. Most everyone else settles on the east coast!! I would love to meet for coffee and to also meet the Moroccan couple in my neighbourhood. Definately I can get my hubby to chat with your hubby. I will mention it to my husband today, then I will give my husband's number to your fiance. I never kept the lawyers name or number, but I will ask my hubby about that today as well. The lawyer was young and totally sweet!! I sent the divorce certificate by courier. And I got EVERYTHING translated when I was in Rabat. It was much cheaper to do that than do it here. I think we had all of my documents translated into arabic for around $40. I think you are looking at about $100 per document here and the arabic may not be moroccan arabic. Some of our documents are already in french and that is sufficient, such as the RCMP certificate. I will try to find your email off line and I will pass on my info to you.

Take care,
Becca

iqaluit

Jul 12, 2007
Iqaluit, Nunavut
hi all ~ still no call or letter, although i have a question ~ when you check your status on cic website have they posted the mailing address of the person you are sponsoring? i always check that site to see if they made any changes and they never posted his mailing address before when i checked today it was on there, i'm just wondering if they will mail him a letter instead?? hoping to hear from them soon, would love to fly back up here with him in the summer.

thanks
Dorcas

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
Hi Dorcas,

I wanted to let you know that someone on another forum received their call yesterday for their interview for next week.
Their processing date in Rabat is November 28th.

That means that our Husband's calls are getting closer

Good luck to everyone

iqaluit

Jul 12, 2007
Iqaluit, Nunavut
yahhh :) ~ hopefully he'll get the call soon after he gets the box that i sent him, hoping he'll get the box early next week sent it express and usually takes a week to get there from up here anyways, can you please tell me the name of the other forum would like to read that forum as well.

fingers crossed that they will get a call soon

Dorcas

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
Hi Dorcas,

I just sent the link to you .It is in French

I hope your Husband will be able to come back with you . That would be great.

Good luck

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
Hello everyone!
My goodness so much has been going on! I have been in B.C. for the past 2 weeks and a bit. We bought a house in Abbotsford.
Cindy congratulations! What about Adam and Vesna? This is ridiculous! Please send me an update Adam.
Penny

Becca

Star Member
Jul 27, 2007
Penny, glad to see you have surfaced and this time with a house!!

Still waiting for the answer. It was my birthday today and I was so hoping that they would give us an answer.

Becca