+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring husband from Morocco

Mornie

Jun 10, 2007
Hello Najma,

Welcome to the forum. I would not worry about your husband having been refused a visitors visa. My husband was also refused one before we got married. I did the application for his permanent residence in faith and when Rachid went for his interview they did not even ask him about the previous application. We were very clear in the application that he was previously refused and we included the file number that the embassy had stamped in his passport. I agree with Penny that you should try on your own first without consulting a lawyer. If you have questions about the application the forum is here to help you. Good luck.

Mornie

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
Mornie, thanks for the info on the temporary visa. After we were told that it would interfere with him getting a permanent visa, we were afraid to go ahead with it. Oh well, at least my husband & I went to visit Maroc, and meet such wonderful people. I'm so glad we went, and can't wait to go back.
- Lady Penny

travel_fan

Star Member
May 7, 2007
Hi Najma;

My husband also applied for a visitor visa before we were married. It was not an issue for his permanent residence application (i consulted a lawyer about this before applying for PR). We mentioned the visitor visa application in our sponsorship & PR application - explaining that is was one way to spend time together. It was not a problem as my husband has been granted permanent residence. As long as you can explain the steps you took to be in a relationship - it will show that you care for each other and so your relationship is genuine.

Where do you live in BC and how much older are you (if you don't mind me asking)? I am in Victoria and could be of some help having been through the process now.

The main concern of immigration is that he is not using his relationship with you as a means to enter Canada and that you are able to support both of you financially (i.e. you must not be on social assistance of any kind). Anything that you can do to prove your relationship is genuine is the most important in an application. I agree with Penny - it's not necessary to use a lawyer at this point. There is lots of help and information here.

Tracy

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
An update:
No, still no word! I'm about to have a screaming hissy fit! I had to stop myself from crying this morning. I'm supposed to be a mature adult! Where's Abdel when you need him??? Ha-ha!
- His Lady Penny

travel_fan

Star Member
May 7, 2007
Hi Lady Penny;

I know the wait is painful, but they will hear good news soon. I think the embassy process people in batches so don't be too dismayed. Those of us who received news already have had applications processed under the time stated on the immigration website. I'm sure everything's fine and it's in process as it should - i know how patience gets harder the closer you get (i just postponed my husband's arrival to the 22nd - we both need more time to get things done). Soon you'll be able to look back and think about how quickly it all happened.

Tracy

Nooda

Star Member
Jun 25, 2007
Hello Mornie : You said that your husband was refused one before you got married
(do you mean visitor visa ?)
Nooda

Mornie

Jun 10, 2007
Hi Nooda - yes it was for a visitors visa.

Lady Penny - I am sure Rachid will get a call soon. We are all thinking about him and will breathe a sigh of relief when he gets the call.

Mornie

scoobet

May 28, 2007
Hi everyone. Glad to hear all the good news about all of you who's husbands have their visa and getting ready to come to Canada. Welcome Abdel to Canada. We are all so excited for you and your wife. We know how she feels waiting for you. I was waiting to write hoping we would have heard for my husband interview date. But nothing yet. They received his application in Rabat on June 7. I am sure they are so busy that is why we haven't heard anything yet. And the same for Penny's son- in -law. I really hope my husband is here in Canada by mid end August so he can adjust to the cold. The wait seems so long sometimes. But I am grateful we have the internet to talk every day. It helps. Well I have to get ready for work. I hope we have some good news today from the embassy. Have a great day all...Bye for now...Scoobet

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
Mornie,
3 more days! You must be so excited! I bet you can't sleep! I've been thinking of you and everyone else lucky enough to have their loved ones joining them soon. No, we haven't heard anything yet. Rachid sent them a fax last week, and is sending another one on Monday. I can't understand what's happened. I'm hoping he will find out something on Monday. I told him that if he doesn't hear next week, to go to Rabat and speak to someone. It's been almost 6 weeks since his interview. I am in a slump!
- Lady Penny

Mornie

Jun 10, 2007
Hi Penny,

Actually Rachid will be coming in tomorrow night. We decided to get an earlier flight. I am very excited and so is he. And you are right I did not sleep much last night - too excited I guess.

I talked to a friend of mine who is an immigration lawyer about your son in law's case (he just happened to be visiting and I maximized on the opportunity) and he said that in most cases like this there is nothing wrong with the file. He thinks that what probably happend was the file was unlucky and got mixed in with newer cases. He thinks your son in law will get a call depending on the work load that the embassy is experiencing. But in general he said not to worry and just be patient. I hope this helps a bit.

Mornie

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
Thank you so much Mornie, I've been worrying myself sick over all of this. I really appreciate you asking your friend about Rachid. I just don't know what else to do. Chris is leaving Maroc tomorrow, and I was hoping that they would have received a call before she left.
- Penny

travel_fan

Star Member
May 7, 2007
Hi Everyone;

I agree with Mornie - I think that likely everything is fine and in process - just somehow his app got lower in the pile than others (or bunched in with others to be called at a later date). Remember that the processing time is still well in the early stages to what Immigration refers to on their website. I know it seems unusual because so many others have recieved news already - but I don't think it means anything significant at this time. On the other hand I would likely be freaking out about it myself just because I'm not good at being patient - but I don't this delay indicates a problem. If it was passed the alotted time estimated by immigration - that's when it would mean something.

Hang in there Penny!

Tracy

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
You guys are so good! Thank you so much for your concern. Yes, I was just looking at the calendar yesterday, and it's only been 5 months tomorrow that Chris sent in the papers. It's just that when Kelly & Mornie's interviews were after Rachid's, and their husband's have their visas already, I was kind of disappointed. Not that I'm not happy for you guys. It's just that WHEN'S IT OUR TURN! No, I don't have patience at the best of times.
I will be thinking of you guys, and wishing I could be with you at the airport.
Thanks again for your support. I really need it!
- Penny

Penny

Star Member
Mar 28, 2007
Well, here's a little bit of good news! My son-in-law emailed the embassy yesterday. They phoned him right away, and told him that they hadn't lost his file, and it wouldn't be much longer. What a relief!
Thanks everyone for letting me vent!
- Penny

mgz

Jul 17, 2007
Hi Penny,
I have been reading about your problems with the immigration regarding sponsoring a husband from Morocco. I am also in the same boat but in Australia. It will take us two years before we will know if our application has been successful. We had to go to Paris to lodge our application form with the Australian Embassy for consideration and now a new law has been passed here whereby all people must undergo an immigration test showing that they have some idea of our countrys history. They also must be able to speak and read English. I hope that you get a speedy outcome soon.
- Marie