+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring dependent

rnkhouse

Star Member
Jun 9, 2016
Hi,
I got married in India in December, 2011. I came to Canada in January, 2012 on student visa but, at that time I mentioned single in my profile and didn't update to married. We got divorce after couple of months and I didn't sponsor my ex-wife for any legal status in Canada. Can I still sponsor someone from India after marriage? Do I need to show my previous marriage to Canadian government? Please advice!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I got married in India in December, 2011. I came to Canada in January, 2012 on student visa but, at that time I mentioned single in my profile and didn't update to married. We got divorce after couple of months and I didn't sponsor my ex-wife for any legal status in Canada. Can I still sponsor someone from India after marriage? Do I need to show my previous marriage to Canadian government? Please advice!
Yes - you can sponsor someone from India after marriage. Yes - you must show your previous marriage to the Canadian government. Failure to do so is misrepresentation which is a five year ban from Canada.

rnkhouse

Star Member
Jun 9, 2016
Yes - you can sponsor someone from India after marriage. Yes - you must show your previous marriage to the Canadian government. Failure to do so is misrepresentation which is a five year ban from Canada.
Thanks for quick response. May I be in trouble not declaring my previous marital status until now?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Thanks for quick response. May I be in trouble not declaring my previous marital status until now?
Yes you can be charged with misrepresentation since you didn't declare your previous marriage in your applications. On the the sponsorship forms, it will ask to list your previous marriages.

rnkhouse

Star Member
Jun 9, 2016
Yes you can be charged with misrepresentation since you didn't declare your previous marriage in your applications. On the the sponsorship forms, it will ask to list your previous marriages.
It was an innocent mistake not declaring it. I never took any advantage. What's the work around to deal with this situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In that case you have a real mess on your hands. Time to start working with a very good immigration lawyer. I don't know why you lied in your PR application, however that was a very poor life choice that may impact your ability to sponsor (could even impact your PR status). Again, start working with a lawyer.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
You claimed it was a innocent mistake but when applying for PR, you didn't claim that you were divorced when filling out the forms and again during landing, CBSA officers confirmed with you in person about your marital status and again you claimed that you were never married. You have a big mess in your hands which possibly can start IRCC to investigate you for misrepresentation and revoke your PR.

Reactions: scylla

rnkhouse

Star Member
Jun 9, 2016
You claimed it was a innocent mistake but when applying for PR, you didn't claim that you were divorced when filling out the forms and again during landing, CBSA officers confirmed with you in person about your marital status and again you claimed that you were never married. You have a big mess in your hands which possibly can start IRCC to investigate you for misrepresentation and revoke your PR.
So, there is no way to call anyone on dependent now.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
You can sponsor your dependent but in the affect of sponsoring your wife, IRCC can start a misrepresentation process against you for misrepresenting your marital status which may leads to them revoking your PR status.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As you point out, you gained no advantage by your actions and from your narrative, your misrepresentation didn't match the requirements of IRPA.

40. (1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation

(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act;

You are probably going to be OK but check with a competent immigration lawyer for advice on how to handle this with IRCC.

Reactions: Bryanna