+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring child and IMM5604

sfy

Feb 22, 2021
Hi and good day forum users,

I and my wife are both PR holders. Due to some work commitment I had work abroad for some time and our son was born outside Canada. Now I have returned back to Canada and planning to apply for sponsorship for my one year old son. My wife is staying back with our son till he gets immigration.

While completing the checklist IMM5534e I came across the following point which is kind of confusing for me. I would appreciate if anyone can guide me a little:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the 'Document Checklist - IMM5534e' , Part A - Question 6 it mentions:

If the principle applicant (my son) is under the age of 18 and also the other parent is not a cosigner then I need to provide the following:

- Completed IMM5604 (Declaration from Non Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada), witnessed by a notary public.
- Photocopy of a valid and legible identity document for that parent, bearing their signature
- If the parent is deceased, provide a copy of their death certificate instead
- If you are divorced or separated from the other parent, also include a copy of any related custody agreements.

If you are unable to provide the documents above, you must provide a detailed explanation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my wife cannot be a cosigner as she is currently residing abroad with our son, however, she would be accompanying our son once he his immigration. So in that case do I need to provide the detailed explanation of our circumstances or .... what would be better way to tackle this.

I would appreciate any advise regarding the same.

P.S. If this question has been answered already somewhere in the forum, kindly point me to the post as I was unable to find it.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
you do not need a cosigner for sponsoring your dependent. That's usually for parents sponsorship.
Since you said that you have been working work abroad for some time, make sure that you meet RO before you send off your sponsorship applicaiton.

sfy

Feb 22, 2021
By meeting RO do you mean first I have to complete 730 days before I send the sponsorship application?

I still have time on my 5 year PR card expiry and I can easily meet the RO well before the expiry of my PR card.

Reactions: YVR123

ramansingh05

Dec 15, 2014
New Delhi
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi Visa Office
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
CRS- 422
Doc's Request.
Awaited
Nomination.....
19-04-2017
AOR Received.
Awaited
IELTS Request
08-10-2016
Med's Request
12-05-2017
Med's Done....
12-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
Awaited
LANDED..........
Awaited
Hi,

Me and my wife got PR in 2018 and lived for5 months and moved back to india due to some personal commitments. Now our baby born in India and I am moving back for now as I got a job in Canada. Can my wife be a co-signer if she is not moving now? She'll come once our baby TRV will be approved. Secondly, we still have 2 years of time to satiate RO criteria. Do I need to complete 730 days in Canada before applying TRV for my baby or Can I apply It post landing?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Me and my wife got PR in 2018 and lived for5 months and moved back to india due to some personal commitments. Now our baby born in India and I am moving back for now as I got a job in Canada. Can my wife be a co-signer if she is not moving now? She'll come once our baby TRV will be approved. Secondly, we still have 2 years of time to satiate RO criteria. Do I need to complete 730 days in Canada before applying TRV for my baby or Can I apply It post landing?
If your wife isn't in Canada she can't be a co-signer. You need to still be able to meet the 730 days from the day you landed to apply.

shafee786

Mar 14, 2024
Hi and good day forum users,

I and my wife are both PR holders. Due to some work commitment I had work abroad for some time and our son was born outside Canada. Now I have returned back to Canada and planning to apply for sponsorship for my one year old son. My wife is staying back with our son till he gets immigration.

While completing the checklist IMM5534e I came across the following point which is kind of confusing for me. I would appreciate if anyone can guide me a little:

In the 'Document Checklist - IMM5534e' , Part A - Question 6 it mentions:

If the principle applicant (my son) is under the age of 18 and also the other parent is not a cosigner then I need to provide the following:

- Completed IMM5604 (Declaration from Non Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada), witnessed by a notary public.
- Photocopy of a valid and legible identity document for that parent, bearing their signature
- If the parent is deceased, provide a copy of their death certificate instead
- If you are divorced or separated from the other parent, also include a copy of any related custody agreements.

If you are unable to provide the documents above, you must provide a detailed explanation.

Now my wife cannot be a cosigner as she is currently residing abroad with our son, however, she would be accompanying our son once he his immigration. So in that case do I need to provide the detailed explanation of our circumstances or .... what would be better way to tackle this.

I would appreciate any advise regarding the same.

P.S. If this question has been answered already somewhere in the forum, kindly point me to the post as I was unable to find it.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

Hi Sfy,

Can you please tell me what you did in this situation because am also in the same situation like you and want to understand whether you provide IMM 5604 form or you just provided LOE stating that your wife will be accompanying your child once he gets the PR and you are not submitting IMM 5604 form.

Please advise

ddrocks

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 august 2020
Hello all,
I have a query regarding sponsorship for newborn child for CANADA PR born outside Canada

1..My PR landing date - 14 Jan 2023( Expiry -14 Jan 2028)
2..My wife Pr landing date - 18 may 2023 (Expiry- 18 may 2028)

We are planning to leave canada around 30 July 2024.if the baby is born outside canada let say mid of 2025 how can we sponsor the newborn for canada PR ? what options we have ? Does RESIDENCY OBLIGATIONS COMES INTO PLAY when considering sponsorship for newborn child.?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all,
I have a query regarding sponsorship for newborn child for CANADA PR born outside Canada

1..My PR landing date - 14 Jan 2023( Expiry -14 Jan 2028)
2..My wife Pr landing date - 18 may 2023 (Expiry- 18 may 2028)

We are planning to leave canada around 30 July 2024.if the baby is born outside canada let say mid of 2025 how can we sponsor the newborn for canada PR ? what options we have ? Does RESIDENCY OBLIGATIONS COMES INTO PLAY when considering sponsorship for newborn child.?
You'll have to sponsor the child from within Canada - i.e. at least one parent must be in Canada/have returned to Canada. As long as that parent has been OUTSIDE Canada for less than 1095 days, will be in compliance with the residency obligation.

Sponsor required to remain in Canada during process except for 'short trips.'

That's the long and the short of it.

ddrocks

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 august 2020
You'll have to sponsor the child from within Canada - i.e. at least one parent must be in Canada/have returned to Canada. As long as that parent has been OUTSIDE Canada for less than 1095 days, will be in compliance with the residency obligation.

Sponsor required to remain in Canada during process except for 'short trips.'

That's the long and the short of it.
Do I have to complete 730 days first then I can sponsor or right away I can file sponsorship for child when I return to canada on around Jan 2026?

sfy

Feb 22, 2021
You can apply for your child immediately when you arrive back in Canada, atleast thats how I did. I guess there is no requirement for 730 days residency requirement for sponsoring your newborn child.

ddrocks

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 august 2020
You can apply for your child immediately when you arrive back in Canada, atleast thats how I did. I guess there is no requirement for 730 days residency requirement for sponsoring your newborn child.
If I return in Jan 2026 in canada while wife&baby still outside. do I have to wait to complete 730 days first then I can sponsor baby ? Or I can right away apply sponsorship pr in Feb 2026 ?

*Days spent Inside canada till 31 July 2024= 502 days
*Days spent inside canada for spouse till 31 July 2024= 438 days

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do I have to complete 730 days first then I can sponsor or right away I can file sponsorship for child when I return to canada on around Jan 2026?
You are in compliance if you have been OUTSIDE Canada LESS THAN 1095 days since your day of landing. (This holds true for the first five years from your day of landing).

You will have to do your own arithmetic.

sfy

Feb 22, 2021
If I return in Jan 2026 in canada while wife&baby still outside. do I have to wait to complete 730 days first then I can sponsor baby ? Or I can right away apply sponsorship pr in Feb 2026 ?

*Days spent Inside canada till 31 July 2024= 502 days
*Days spent inside canada for spouse till 31 July 2024= 438 days
Yes you can apply straightaway when you land in Canada in 2026, no need to wait for completing 730 days residency obligation.

ddrocks

Star Member
Feb 1, 2019
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 august 2020
Yes you can apply straightaway when you land in Canada in 2026, no need to wait for completing 730 days residency obligation.
THANK YOU