+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Australian Citizen for PR

Sansglee

Star Member
May 17, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time and reply, I have a quick question regarding my spouse's PR application. My fiancee is an Australian citizen, we are gathering documents for her PR application. Our wedding is going to be in India. but As per the guide, CIC after accessing the sponsor they forward the application to the corresponding country which in my case it would be Sydney office Australia.

Does anybody know if they accept the marriage document from India or should we have to a marriage document from Australia.

or

I heard about Work holiday program, where they issue work permit for one year if you are a citizen of certain countries. I believe Australia is one of them. Does anybody applied to PR under spousal sponsorship after coming to Canada in Work holiday program.

Please let me know if there is any other most efficient way to apply for PR.

Please help . Thanks for your reply.

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
Canada is way more stringent with marriage requirements than other countries. I highly advise getting a marriage document from Australia as a backup.
Just go ahead with the PR application, and apply outland. We submitted our application in March 2015 and I got my COPR on August 4th 2015. It doesn't take long at all. Good luck!

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Sansglee said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time and reply, I have a quick question regarding my spouse's PR application. My fiancee is an Australian citizen, we are gathering documents for her PR application. Our wedding is going to be in India. but As per the guide, CIC after accessing the sponsor they forward the application to the corresponding country which in my case it would be Sydney office Australia.

Does anybody know if they accept the marriage document from India or should we have to a marriage document from Australia.

or

I heard about Work holiday program, where they issue work permit for one year if you are a citizen of certain countries. I believe Australia is one of them. Does anybody applied to PR under spousal sponsorship after coming to Canada in Work holiday program.

Please let me know if there is any other most efficient way to apply for PR.

Please help . Thanks for your reply.
Yes she can get a WH visa, many people do this, if she qualifies go for it, and apply outland.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
I came to Canada on a working holiday visa, they're simple enough to get if you meet all the requirements (under 30, no criminal record). I'm not sure how much you've looked into it but its basically a 2 step process: The application and presenting the letter of introduction (LOI) at the border.

Once all the documents and forms are submitted it takes around 6 weeks to get the LOI, you present that to immigration at the border to get the visa. The LOI is not a visa so you still need to make sure you have evidence all the criteria is met i.e. proof of CAD$2500, proof of travel insurance and either a return ticket or extra funds to purchase one. Its not a difficult process, I've been granted two and never encountered a problem.

Australians actually get a two year visa not one, so you should have plenty of time to get everything together and processed :)

Sansglee

Star Member
May 17, 2013
emily3859 said:
Canada is way more stringent with marriage requirements than other countries. I highly advise getting a marriage document from Australia as a backup.
Just go ahead with the PR application, and apply outland. We submitted our application in March 2015 and I got my COPR on August 4th 2015. It doesn't take long at all. Good luck!
Thanks for your time and reply. What is COPR ? sorry i am not familiar with terms . So you submitted your application in March 2015 and got the PR in August ? What are the documents do we have to provide other than the marriage certificate ?

Sansglee

Star Member
May 17, 2013
kangamoose said:
I came to Canada on a working holiday visa, they're simple enough to get if you meet all the requirements (under 30, no criminal record). I'm not sure how much you've looked into it but its basically a 2 step process: The application and presenting the letter of introduction (LOI) at the border.

Once all the documents and forms are submitted it takes around 6 weeks to get the LOI, you present that to immigration at the border to get the visa. The LOI is not a visa so you still need to make sure you have evidence all the criteria is met i.e. proof of CAD$2500, proof of travel insurance and either a return ticket or extra funds to purchase one. Its not a difficult process, I've been granted two and never encountered a problem.

Australians actually get a two year visa not one, so you should have plenty of time to get everything together and processed :)
Thanks for your reply. i have a quick question for you, regarding the working holiday visa program. it seems like they are issuing a one year visa under the work holiday category. So after coming to canada, if you apply for PR, Will they extend your working holiday visa untill your PR is completed? or we will need to apply for a normal work permit visa.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Working Holiday category for IEC is definitely 24 months, as is the young professional, the only one I'm not sure about is the internship category... Have a read through this link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp?country=au&cat=wh

Its not extendable, you can apply to extend as a visitor but not a worker. However if you are applying outland to the Sydney office 24 months is plenty of time, the PR would most likely be granted long before the IEC visa expires.

emily3859

Star Member
Dec 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2015
Doc's Request.
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-01-2015
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2015
LANDED..........
20-09-2015
Sansglee said:
Thanks for your time and reply. What is COPR ? sorry i am not familiar with terms . So you submitted your application in March 2015 and got the PR in August ? What are the documents do we have to provide other than the marriage certificate ?
It's all outlined for you when you go onto the website and there are checklists for you and the principal applicant. COPR is "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" which means you are approved and you can then proceed to land and be a Permanent Resident.

kangamoose said:

It's not required to have travel insurance, I didn't at any point in time when I was in Canada have it.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
emily3859 said:
It's not required to have travel insurance, I didn't at any point in time when I was in Canada have it.
be able to take out health insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada
I'm not sure of your countries requirements, but for IEC Australia its one of the conditions listed to obtain a visa. I've heard of people being forced to purchase insurance at the border if you can't provide evidence you have it or only issuing the visa for the duration of the insurance. Coming to Canada without the insurance is a risk and AUD$600 for full medical coverage for 12 months is not that expensive. Repatriation used to be something that had to be covered as well, this may have changed as they updated everything last year after I had applied.

I've never been asked to show any proof of insurance but I'd rather have it for my own peace of mind and not risk the immigration officer shortening my stay.

Depending on the province the OP is from provincial health care MAY be an option, but not always.