+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a spouse from Egypt

Nessy

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks mnassar,

i know eh, the timeline is crazy.!!
Anyways, with the whole landing thing, i dont think we will be going till Jan. cuz my husband and i have a stable jobs here in Egypt, and im teaching, so i dont really want to leave work in a mean way, so i'm waiting till the end of the semester.
Either than that, we r organizing papers, getting our Undergrad certificates and transcripts certified or stamped or whatever its called..and on the other hand, for me its all about being worried from here.

Thanks mnassar and i hope to hear from u soon, did u guys land there yet?

mnassar

Star Member
Nov 19, 2007
hey fairouz

how is canada & calgary? did yr husband find a job or still looking?

i hope everything is fine with u guys.

take care

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
calgary is v. nice...

we haven't even started looking for jobs... we are just furnishing out apartment... it takes a long time... especially if u don't have a car...

fairouz

Nessy

Mar 24, 2008
Hey Fairouz,

Keep us updated on what's happening over there, im still here in egypt, wont be going for a few months, but my hubby is over worried bout finding and apartment furnishing, expenses, buy a "used" car, to the point that he's making me paranoid.

For me, it's going to be edmonton or calgary..but my hubby is pushing for calgary, just because admission requirements into masters in alot easier...but i was born and raised in edmonton, lived there my whole life almost.
So, yea...im always feeling lost these days.!

Hope to hear from u guys soon

Nessy

Mar 24, 2008
Sorry just one more question,

Do i have to travel before my hubby or can we travel with eachother?

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
ok.

Well, i advice you to apply to university first. Edmenton's apartments are cheaper than Calgary's. Getting an apartment in Edmenton or Calgary is easy. Rentfaster.ca :) good luck searching...

If you had a canadian credit card before and have a good credit, then you will not need a co-signer. If you don't, then u will need a co signer. Make sure to put the lease in both of your names so you can help him to get apartments faster next time.

About work.. I am sure it is easy if you are open about to work about anything. I see hiring sign everywhere.

Also, as far as for a used car. mmmm I don't know. U can leave this for awhile I guess. I use buses.. Cars nowadays are so expensive with the price of gas. You can get anywhere with the bus or the train.

You can travel together. They didn't ask my hubby any questions about me (I guess coz I was there wtih him'). I was so scared when they were asking a lady questions about her husband and she couldn't answer a thing coz she doesn't speak english. They let u transilate as well for your husband if he doesn't understand english. If you are going to travel to calgary.

It is better to be in a place where there is family so they can drive u around and show u places. I have family in both edmenton and calgary! So If you have family in Edmenton go there first. It makes a big difference to knwo some people at least u arrive to partly furnished apartment.

If you are looking for furniture, you can look at kijiji.ca if you want used stuff. Also Ikea sells stuff for somewhat decent price. And wal-mart for apliances.

Make sure you transilate driving license. The international driving licence is no good if you are pr. regardless they will give u only 3 months to drive and then u have to do the test. if your husband has car insurance make sure he gets the paper to prove that he has been insured for long. Also if he wants the graduate licnece. He has to bring a letter from the place where he issued the driving licence and to say that he is a good driver and to say that his driving record is clean and he has been driving for ... number of years.

Let me tell u some news. Alberta will stop charging health preimums for its health cards starting january 2009 :)

Tell your husband not to worry. There is free employment centers. That give u workshops, let u print for free.

The trip was amazing. As soon we went out of Egypt. I started seeing a huge smile in my husband's face that I have never seen. We went by lufthanza to frankfurt. (he loved the airport ). There is Macdonalds there and it has a view on the airport. The trip was long but my husband enjoyed it very much. As soon as we arrive here. Everyone treated us so nice and were checking our baby. They even helped us push our carts. My hubby is so happy here and want to make Canada his home for good! Wallah everyone wanted to help even someguy in teh airplane gave us his card so we can ask him to help us.
Etwakelo ala allah :)

Let your deciding factor be family not university at the point till u settle for a bit!

Fairouz

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Ok let me tell u a tip.

to avoid transilations costs! Make sure u transilate everything there. Then you can notrize copies here which cost waaaaaaaaaaaaaay less. Like 7 or 8 dollars for notrizing.

Fairouz

mnassar

Star Member
Nov 19, 2007
masha2 ALLAH ya fairouz
yr words give me a big hope & makes me happy & excited to come to canada as soon as poss isa :))

i want to ask u did they ask ur husband abt anything in cairo airport caz he immigrating to canada ? i mean did any1 fel gawazat or something ask him abt any papers or the immig permit that u told us abt it b4 or not?
& do u ve any idea where i can translate my high school cert.

i got my int. driver's license 2 days ago but i asked people in ottawa they told me y u can use it 4 a 6 months or something so i guess ontario is a little bit different than alberta.

plz keep in touch fairouz & keep us updated by wats going on there, we learned from u alot & we still learning , i really wanna thank u 4 being so useful to all of us

good luck to all of us

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Ok,

I don't know about ontario driving licence but it could be. Read online and don't depend on wha tpeople tell u. Different rules is set for Permanant Residence than a visitor. Visitors have up to a year to drive in Canada with international driving licence. But Alberta will give you 3 months to drive with your eithr home liecnce or the international. By the way government office will only accept the one from the government and not the international driving licnence.

If you are going through cairo airport just go early. oh by the way have yoru visa and confirmation of PR ready for frankfurt airport when boarding at the gate! They will ask u for them.

no papers is required for egypt to travel to Canada. My advice go early... lol. That is it.

Nessy

Mar 24, 2008
Hey,

Can you write a list of things that i have to make sure i have before going to canada, it seems that im going sooner than i expected and i want to make sure i'm not missing anything.?

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Well folks....the countdown has begun!!! I have to re-read all the procedures and what we need to do lol. [I will post some questions later on...]

I am going to be in Egypt from Dec 24 - Jan 17. ....

how is everyone doing after all???

Hi Fairouz :) how is the baby and how is hubby??

-rasha

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
ok Nessy

here is a list and offcourse anything in arabic transilate it

first

driving licence...
if you have insurance get the insurance company to write u a letter that states number of years and clear record...this will save u massive insurance costs....

high school documents...
university docmuents... all of those have to have foriegn affairs stamp before transilated...

those are the most important stuff to us ...

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
I guess u can bring ur birth certificate... but as long as u have ur passport... i don't think u will need it.. i never needed mine in canada...

if you have kids just bring thier birth certificate and ammunization schedule for schools or they will let u do them all over... or delay getting into school... this is for some provinces only... ie alberta....

the other thing is that once u come here... the first thing u have to do is ur sin number... the secon is ur health...but if u want to open a bank account.... and do an ivestment... (new immigrants can't get a visa except with secured investment of a 10000 for 18 months in royal bank or 3 years 500 in other banks..) and you need ur sin number for that...

if you want to bring something from egypt.... . don't buy clothing... buy them from canada better....

also prepare ur list with valuables..... ie rolex watches... stuff like that... for taxes.. if u don't have anything valuable don't worry about it...

good luck guys with traveling... make sure u make a good descison with ur flight... it makes a big difference.... i enjoyed my trip to frankfut so much this time... especially that we didn't have to change the terminals... was so so so easy and nice... loved it... They had macdonald's there... which was a big plus for me...

Good luck ya rasha!!!!

let us know what happens with u... i will try to log here sometimes... u know it is busy life here... especially with my baby... she is doing good... she is 5 months... plays and demands more attention in good ways... ie singing...etc...