+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a Filipina

bgctor59

Feb 20, 2024
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Hi everyone. I am new to this Forum, but not new to sponsorship. I plan to sponsor a lady from the Philippines and I know that getting married there is not easy. I know I need to get a certain paper from the Canadian Consulate in Manila, but if anyone can help me with details it would be very much appreciated.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi everyone. I am new to this Forum, but not new to sponsorship. I plan to sponsor a lady from the Philippines and I know that getting married there is not easy. I know I need to get a certain paper from the Canadian Consulate in Manila, but if anyone can help me with details it would be very much appreciated.
Many here have been down that road and it's not all that challenging. Takes a bit of patience, though.

How to get married in the Phils is not really a Canadian immigration question. That comes after one is married, if you want your spouse to come here. However, to get you started, let me say that the "piece of paper" of which you speak is described on this Canada government website:

https://www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/philippines/manila-manille-info.aspx?lang=eng#MA

As noted there, Canada cannot really offer a certificate of capacity. The best that can be offered is, in effect, your affidavit swearing that you have capacity. So, in practice, it's not worth a lot. Some civil registrars in the Phils know this and don't ask for it. I was not asked for one when I married there in 2022. I had to produce (as did my wife), a "Cenomar" - a certificate from the Philippines Statistics Authority showing that the PSA has no record of you being married in the Phils. That requirement is never waived. It is described (along with other helpful information) here:

https://filipiknow.net/how-to-get-married-in-the-philippines/

https://filipiknow.net/how-to-get-married-in-the-philippines-with-a-foreigner/#how-to-get-an-affidavit-in-lieu-of-a-certificate-of-legal-capacity-to-contract-marriage-in-the-philippines

There are also some circumstances where no licence is required to marry in the Phils. One is if you have lived in a common law relationship with your betrothed for years or more. I'l assume that does not apply in your case. You may also be required to take a "Guidance and Counselling" seminar for a half day. Again, depends of local custom. Not always called the same thing either.

Once the marriage has been completed, you'll find a fair amount written there already about sponsorship from the Phils and there are always some around to try to answer questions.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would assume you have been dating this woman and have had multiple in person visits unless you live in the Philippines. If that is the case you would need to show proof that you will be moving to Canada. Assume there are no other red flags for your relationship like significant age differences, etc. Have either of you been married before? That is another issue if you want to get married in the Philippines.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Too late to be permitted to edit, but, on re-reading my post, I see that I said, in part:

There are also some circumstances where no licence is required to marry in the Phils. One is if you have lived in a common law relationship with your betrothed for years or more.

That should read "for 5 years or more".