+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a child born in Pakistan

zainabfis

Aug 6, 2014
Dear Experts on this Forum,
I, my husband and my 2 kids are PR cards holders since July 2016. We landed in Winnipeg in July 2016 and went back to Pakistan.
My daughter was born in September 2016 in Pakistan, we applied for a her sponsorship from Pakistan which got rejected as neither of the parents was in Canada. We applied for a TRV, which got rejected for the same reason. Now my husband went to Canada in 2017, spent a year and is still in Canada is sponsoring the child.
Does his residency obligation have any impact on my daughter's sponsorship approval? He has been living in Canada now for around 14 months, still he does not meet the RO. Please suggest?

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
EDIT: As I did not pay very close attention to the dates you gave in your question, YVR123's response below is correct.

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Dear Experts on this Forum,
I, my husband and my 2 kids are PR cards holders since July 2016. We landed in Winnipeg in July 2016 and went back to Pakistan.
My daughter was born in September 2016 in Pakistan, we applied for a her sponsorship from Pakistan which got rejected as neither of the parents was in Canada. We applied for a TRV, which got rejected for the same reason. Now my husband went to Canada in 2017, spent a year and is still in Canada is sponsoring the child.
Does his residency obligation have any impact on my daughter's sponsorship approval? He has been living in Canada now for around 14 months, still he does not meet the RO. Please suggest?
I am confused with your question. Since your husband became PR in July 2016, he has only been a PR for less than 2 years.
Your husband move back in 2017 and has been living here for 14 months. Why do you think he doesn't meet RO?
RO is 730 days in a rolling 5 years and he still has lots of time remaining to meet his RO.

zainabfis

Aug 6, 2014
Thanks for your response. Actually, the previous reply gave me quite a scare. We landed together in July 2016, and left for Pakistan in August 2016. The baby was born in September 2016. My husband went back to Canada in April 2017 and came for a short holiday once. He is still in canada and has filed his tax returns for the year 2016 and 2017 too.
My question is, that is it necessary to complete 730 days before sponsoring the child? If not, is there a possibility to bring the child to canada somehow? We applied for a TRV in December which got rejected as my husband and I both were in Pakistan.
Also, can we apply for a TRP (since the TRV's rejected) right after applying for the sponsorship?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your response. Actually, the previous reply gave me quite a scare. We landed together in July 2016, and left for Pakistan in August 2016. The baby was born in September 2016. My husband went back to Canada in April 2017 and came for a short holiday once. He is still in canada and has filed his tax returns for the year 2016 and 2017 too.
My question is, that is it necessary to complete 730 days before sponsoring the child? If not, is there a possibility to bring the child to canada somehow? We applied for a TRV in December which got rejected as my husband and I both were in Pakistan.
Also, can we apply for a TRP (since the TRV's rejected) right after applying for the sponsorship?
Did your husband not start the sponsorship process as soon as he returned to Canada?

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
It is possible to apply for sponsorship and TRV\TRP at the same time. I had recently gone through a similar process. My daughter's TRV was rejected when I applied for it from India. I traveled alone and applied for my daughter's sponsorship first. I also applied for a TRV immediately and provided a letter of explanation with the following details:

1. Why we couldnt stay back in Canada and why my second daughter was born in India
2. That I had already applied for her sponsorship but that we will respect the terms of a TRV if it is granted
3. That we had to apply for a TRV because there was no other way we could be together as a family and we were missing each other badly
4. Fully paid and non-refundable flight tickets within 6 months - This is a risk and you might want to consider if you want to do this or not
5. Visitor insurance for the period of her stay in Canada
6. That we will respect the terms of the TRV because we understood that it could affect the sponsorship application adversely if we didnt

For the sponsorship application, I included a similar explanation letter and also explained that I dint have tax forms for last year as I had been in India. Also included my income in India for the past year and used a separate explanation letter with proof of tax returns and payslips from India. Also included Indian bank account statements etc. as additional proof

The sponsorship application was sent on 2nd May 2018 and I had landed on 4th April 2018. The TRV application was made online on 8th May 2018. The TRV application was approved in the second week of June 2018 and the sponsorship is in progress.

Wish you all the best!

zainabfis

Aug 6, 2014
Did your husband not start the sponsorship process as soon as he returned to Canada?[/Q
It is possible to apply for sponsorship and TRV\TRP at the same time. I had recently gone through a similar process. My daughter's TRV was rejected when I applied for it from India. I traveled alone and applied for my daughter's sponsorship first. I also applied for a TRV immediately and provided a letter of explanation with the following details:

1. Why we couldnt stay back in Canada and why my second daughter was born in India
2. That I had already applied for her sponsorship but that we will respect the terms of a TRV if it is granted
3. That we had to apply for a TRV because there was no other way we could be together as a family and we were missing each other badly
4. Fully paid and non-refundable flight tickets within 6 months - This is a risk and you might want to consider if you want to do this or not
6. That we will respect the terms of the TRV because we understood that it could affect the sponsorship application adversely if we didnt

For the sponsorship application, I included a similar explanation letter and also explained that I dint have tax forms for last year as I had been in India. Also included my income in India for the past year and used a separate explanation letter with proof of tax returns and payslips from India. Also included Indian bank account statements etc. as additional proof

The sponsorship application was sent on 2nd May 2018 and I had landed on 4th April 2018. The TRV application was made online on 8th May 2018. The TRV application was approved in the second week of June 2018 and the sponsorship is in progress.

Wish you all the best!
Thank you tozach for such a detailed answer. I hope we are able to get through this.

agohary

Oct 9, 2018

Wish you all the best!
Hello,
I have very similar case but my problem is that im not fulfilling the RO requirements of 730 days. So in case i apply for TRV visa for my daughter who is not a PR, shall I indicate in the application that im just visiting Canada for a short period and include 2 way tickets in the application documents?

tozach

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hello,
I have very similar case but my problem is that im not fulfilling the RO requirements of 730 days. So in case i apply for TRV visa for my daughter who is not a PR, shall I indicate in the application that im just visiting Canada for a short period and include 2 way tickets in the application documents?
Hello, hopefully you got your answer already. I would suggest that you mention it as part of the application. Do provide enough reasons and as much substantiating proof as possible. However, I am not quite sure about how CIC would see it. You should also post a separate thread and wait for replies from some of the more informed members.