+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor parents

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Hi all,
I will meet fanancial requirement to sponsor my parents (3 years) by 2019. Just wonder if anyone is using overseas employment income for that requirement? I reported my overseas income to CRA and will move back to Canada when I sponsor parents. I now meet requirements for 2017,2018 and will in 2019-so when is the earliest time to apply? I won't file tax return till Mar.2020 to reflect 2019 income. Can I apply in 2020?

Hope to get your advice!

Thanks!

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Only Canadian income counts so you don't qualify.
Thanks. I asked one Immigration consultant and got positive reply-as far as my income meet requirement and reflected on NOA, I can qualify. Do you have any official info for oversease income?

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Please review form IMM 5748 Income Sources for the Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents.

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Thanks. I asked one Immigration consultant and got positive reply-as far as my income meet requirement and reflected on NOA, I can qualify. Do you have any official info for oversease income?
I checked my LINE 150 income on NOA and it is well over financial requirement to sponsor my parents and I paid lots of tax to CRA:)...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Confused. Have you been living in Canada for the past 3 years? Overseas employment shouldn't count. Was your family in Canada and declaring your overseas income?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I checked my LINE 150 income on NOA and it is well over financial requirement to sponsor my parents and I paid lots of tax to CRA:)
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

Financial resources must originate from Canadian sources for the following reasons:
• employment income abroad is not a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada.
• CPC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada.
• converting foreign income into Canadian dollars is resource-intensive.
• in cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadiansources. For more information, see: Exceptions to the Canadian income rule, section 5.31.

5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income on theirCanadian income tax return;
• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Discretionary approval of financial requirements is not possible.

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
The issue is that he wasn't living in Canada.
all my family lives in Canada and I spend at least 2-3months in Canada each year and I will be living in Canada when I apply in 2020 or later. My job(business) is more project based and I declared my income each year.

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
Confused. Have you been living in Canada for the past 3 years? Overseas employment shouldn't count. Was your family in Canada and declaring your overseas income?
As I said, I travel between Canada and overseas each year and my wife, kids are in Canada permanently.