+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor parents

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

Financial resources must originate from Canadian sources for the following reasons:
• employment income abroad is not a reliable indicator of future or stable employment in Canada.
• CPC staff cannot easily verify if foreign income can be transferred to Canada.
• converting foreign income into Canadian dollars is resource-intensive.
• in cases of default, collection and litigation, it is easier to recover income from Canadiansources. For more information, see: Exceptions to the Canadian income rule, section 5.31.

5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income on theirCanadian income tax return;
• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship.

Discretionary approval of financial requirements is not possible.
Thanks! this is very convincing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
all my family lives in Canada and I spend at least 2-3months in Canada each year and I will be living in Canada when I apply in 2020 or later. My job(business) is more project based and I declared my income each year.
You had to pay taxes because you are a PR for tax purposes since your family lives in Canada full-time. Are you meeting your RO if you spend only 2-3 months in Canada? Your absence from Canada for the majority of the year and working abroad will likely be an issue in your application to sponsor your parents. 3 years is a long time so nobody can predict what will happen.

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
The issue with this is the you don't live in Canada. You are only in Canada for 2-3 months/year.
Thanks. Is there any official time limit for this? I did not see any official guide line except saying sponsor should reside in Canada when sponsoring.

truedream15

Star Member
Feb 14, 2015
You had to pay taxes because you are a PR for tax purposes since your family lives in Canada full-time. Are you meeting your RO if you spend only 2-3 months in Canada? Your absence from Canada for the majority of the year and working abroad will likely be an issue in your application to sponsor your parents. 3 years is a long time so nobody can predict what will happen.
Thanks again. I was considered a resident as I have strong ties in Canada-a house, a car, my wife, kids plus my business and there is no RO defined in the guilde, is there any?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks again. I was considered a resident as I have strong ties in Canada-a house, a car, my wife, kids plus my business and there is no RO defined in the guilde, is there any?
You are a tax resident because of your strong ties.

There is no RO in the parent sponsorship guide. But if you only stay 2 - 3 months a year, you can lost your own PR by not meeting your RO. And only physical presence is count, not the "ties".
(unless you are a Canadian citizen)
You cannot sponsor your parents if you do not meet RO and you may lost your PR status. When did you land as a PR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The RO being referred to is for PRs. As per your previous posts, I am guessing you are already a citizen, so that is irrelevant to the discussion.

As shown already, income earned from foreign sources only counts when the person was actually living in Canada at the time. You were not and 2-3 months won't count.

If you return to Canada in 2020 and meet the income requirement that year, you will qualify to sponsor in 2023 (unless living in Quebec, in which case it would be 2021).

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Unfortunately, you must be living in Canada at the time at the time you file for sponsorship for your parents as well including income claimed outside of Canada can only be used if the sponsor was working inside Canada during the time of filing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Is there any official time limit for this? I did not see any official guide line except saying sponsor should reside in Canada when sponsoring.
The point of the PGP program is to bring parents to Canada to reunite the family unit and so you can help care for them. If people were allowed to sponsor their parents if they paid Canadian taxes but didn't live in Canada the program would make no sense.

Reactions: OP_POP

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
all my family lives in Canada and I spend at least 2-3months in Canada each year and I will be living in Canada when I apply in 2020 or later. My job(business) is more project based and I declared my income each year.
Is there any way that you can remotely manage your business (via skype conferencing, etc.) while you live in Canada? If so, you might be able to sponsor them in 2020.

@Wonderland_1010 OP doesn't have to work in Canada, he can be unemployed here while making foreign business income.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Is there any way that you can remotely manage your business (via skype conferencing, etc.) while you live in Canada? If so, you might be able to sponsor them in 2020.

@Wonderland_1010 OP doesn't have to work in Canada, he can be unemployed here while making foreign business income.
Well thats true as well. If OP had rental properties or even being a shareholder of a foreign based company, he can still receive income while unemployed. But I was talking about in the aspect that most people living in Canada do work remotely for like a US based company. The foreign income earned must be claimed and hence it can be used to sponsor parents.