+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor niece to study in Canada

Sep 8, 2021
Hi,

Would it be possible for a Canadian Citizen to sponsor her niece (sister’s biological daughter) to study in Canada? The person who is interested in sponsoring her niece has adult children living in Canada and her niece’s parents are still alive. I think I read that in order for someone to sponsor their niece, they would need to have no other family in Canada and the niece’s parents should have both passed away. Is this correct?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The niece can gain acceptance into a college or university and apply for a study permit. Sponsoring has to to with permanent immigration and the Canadian citizen can’t sponsor the niece.

Sep 8, 2021
The niece can gain acceptance into a college or university and apply for a study permit. Sponsoring has to to with permanent immigration and the Canadian citizen can’t sponsor the niece.
Hi,

yes she will be sending an application to a university and applying for a study permit. But she is unable to financially support herself which is why the Canadian citizen would like to sponsor her studies.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

yes she will be sending an application to a university and applying for a study permit. But she is unable to financially support herself which is why the Canadian citizen would like to sponsor her studies.
Sure, you can sponsor her studies. You'll need to show a bank account balance of at least $25,000 (might need to be more depending on the cost of her first year tuition), provide a bank statement as part of her application, and also a letter confirming that you will be sponsoring her studies.

Sep 8, 2021
Sure, you can sponsor her studies. You'll need to show a bank account balance of at least $25,000 (might need to be more depending on the cost of her first year tuition), provide a bank statement as part of her application, and also a letter confirming that you will be sponsoring her studies.
Okay, so there are no restrictions to sponsoring the niece as long as funds are available? I wasn’t sure and I thought that one of the requirements is for the student to have proof that they’ll be able to support themselves (although if you have a sponsor that’s taken care of)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay, so there are no restrictions to sponsoring the niece as long as funds are available? I wasn’t sure and I thought that one of the requirements is for the student to have proof that they’ll be able to support themselves (although if you have a sponsor that’s taken care of)
There's no restriction. However this doesn't mean the study permit will be approved. Generally speaking, it weakens the application if the student isn't sponsoring themselves or if the parents aren't sponsoring the student. However it's quite possible she may be approved. She will want to make sure she selects a good school, picks studies that make sense based on her previous education, and is able to demonstrate ties to her home country.

Sep 8, 2021
Also, would it still be possible to sponsor if funds are available (there’s $25,000 in the account) even if the person has a mortgage, multiple car loans and a student loan? Are those factors taken into consideration?

I think she may have already paid the tuition (given by the Canadian citizen who wants to sponsor her), but she hasn’t been approved for a student visa. Will she be able to get a refund if she doesn’t get approved?

Sep 8, 2021
There's no restriction. However this doesn't mean the study permit will be approved. Generally speaking, it weakens the application if the student isn't sponsoring themselves or if the parents aren't sponsoring the student. However it's quite possible she may be approved. She will want to make sure she selects a good school, picks studies that make sense based on her previous education, and is able to demonstrate ties to her home country.
she applied to a college and wants to business admin. She did pharmacy in her home country. What do you mean by “demonstrate ties to home country”?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, would it still be possible to sponsor if funds are available (there’s $25,000 in the account) even if the person has a mortgage, multiple car loans and a student loan? Are those factors taken into consideration?

I think she may have already paid the tuition (given by the Canadian citizen who wants to sponsor her), but she hasn’t been approved for a student visa. Will she be able to get a refund if she doesn’t get approved?
Refund policies vary from school to school. She will need to research the refund policy for her school.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
she applied to a college and wants to business admin. She did pharmacy in her home country. What do you mean by “demonstrate ties to home country”?
That's not a good choice of studies. Her planned studies in Canada aren't related to her past studies. This is a common reason for refusal. She will want to include a SOP to explain this education choice.

Ties to her home country: She needs to convince IRCC that she plans to return home after she finishes her studies in Canada.

Suggest that she (or you) dedicate several days to reading through the discussions in the International Students section of the forum to understand how to put together a strong application and what are common reasons for refusal.

Sep 8, 2021
That's not a good choice of studies. Her planned studies in Canada aren't related to her past studies. This is a common reason for refusal. She will want to include a SOP to explain this education choice.

Ties to her home country: She needs to convince IRCC that she plans to return home after she finishes her studies in Canada.

Suggest that she (or you) dedicate several days to reading through the discussions in the International Students section of the forum to understand how to put together a strong application and what are common reasons for refusal.
Thanks for your help.
Btw what’s an SOP? Yes it’s not a good choice, but that’s the only 1 year program with seats available in the college where the Canadian citizen who’s interested in sponsoring her lives. The 2 year program is too costly. She will return to her home country when she finishes her studies in Canada, but I think ultimately she wants to extend her visa or apply for a work permit (not sure about the specifics) and eventually become a PR which is the intended goal.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your help.
Btw what’s an SOP? Yes it’s not a good choice, but that’s the only one 1 year program available in the college where the Canadian citizen who’s interested in sponsoring her lives. The 2 year program is too costly. She will return to her home country when she finishes her studies in Canada, but I think ultimately she wants to extend her visa or apply for a work permit (not sure about the specifics) and eventually become a PR which is the intended goal.
SOP = statement of purpose

A 1 year program is a bad plan if her aim is to get PR.

You really need to dedicate time to reading through the posts in the International Students section of the forum.

Sep 8, 2021
SOP = statement of purpose

A 1 year program is a bad plan if her aim is to get PR.

You really need to dedicate time to reading through the posts in the International Students section of the forum.
Again I am not sure about the specifics but I think she will do the 1 year program then apply for a work visa or something like that.. I think she wants to study here even just for a year as a stepping stone so she could at least get here then she can figure out how she can eventually become a PR. I think her friend had applied for a student visa (not sure how many years her program was) but anyway, she graduated and has a work permit now and is also looking to become a PR. Also, would you happen to know if it would still be possible to sponsor if funds are available (there’s $25,000 in the account) if the person has a mortgage, multiple car loans and a student loan? Are those factors taken into consideration?

I’ll look at that section in the forum. Thanks for all your help.