+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor my sister with dependent kids

YousefNaser

Dec 17, 2016
Hello,

I am intending to sponsor my sister who has two kids under 10 years of age to be a permanent resident in Canada, I am a permanent resident myself, and I meet the sponsorship requirements.

I have two questions:

- If I sponsor my sister, will her kids be able to accompany her as dependent children and become PR themselves?

- If I sponsor my sister, and then I get married, will I be able to sponsor my spouse too less than 5 years in between the two sponsorships ?

Thank you!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You cannot sponsor your sister since she isn't a member of the Family Class. You can only sponsor your spouse/common-law partner and your dependents (kids), your parents, or your grandparents.

There are some exceptions to this rule, but none apply in your case.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

I am intending to sponsor my sister who has two kids under 10 years of age to be a permanent resident in Canada, I am a permanent resident myself, and I meet the sponsorship requirements.

I have two questions:

- If I sponsor my sister, will her kids be able to accompany her as dependent children and become PR themselves?

- If I sponsor my sister, and then I get married, will I be able to sponsor my spouse too less than 5 years in between the two sponsorships ?

Thank you!
Do you have any living parents or grandparents? Your question implies that you are not yet in a relationship.
Any other family members at all who are Canadian citizens or PRs?

MuAn

Star Member
Aug 8, 2018
You cannot sponsor your sister since she isn't a member of the Family Class. You can only sponsor your spouse/common-law partner and your dependents (kids), your parents, or your grandparents.

I found this from @canuck_in_uk vip member

You can only sponsor your adult brother if your parents are dead, you have no spouse/children you could sponsor and you have no Canadian citizen/PR relatives in the world.

YousefNaser

Dec 17, 2016

So there is no way I can get my sister to live here in Canada ?

YousefNaser

Dec 17, 2016
Do you have any living parents or grandparents? Your question implies that you are not yet in a relationship.
Any other family members at all who are Canadian citizens or PRs?
Both our parents are alive, thank God, but my grandparents are deceased.
And yes, I am not in a relationship now.

My brother is a Canadian citizen and my other brother is a PR.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017

Unfortunately you cannot sponsor your sister. Try to look at other programs for her like express entry.

Reactions: YVR123

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Sorry, but as you are now aware, that's enough to make you and your brothers ineligible to sponsor her.

Reactions: k.h.p. and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

That special route to sponsor is nicknamed "Lonely Canadian" and you do not qualify with family and relatives as Canadian.

Reactions: k.h.p.