+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor my father or my mother

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
Hi all,

I want to sponsor my parent in 2014 but unfortunately my salary can sponsor only one person.

can I sponsor my father or my mother only.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New parent and grandparent sponsorship application forms, guide and information would probably be available in January. Why don't you wait and see later?

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
If your parents are still married to each other, or in a common-law relationship, then I believe you can NOT sponsor just one of them, as that would run contrary to CIC's goal of family reunification. However, if they are divorced, then yes, it should be possible to sponsor just one of them. Also, if you have a spouse who has income, he/she could co-sponsor in order to meet the necessary income (which, as you probably know, will be 30% higher when parental sponsorship re-opens in January).

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
Thank you for replay

actually may parent still married. My wife doesn't work so i will Wait to see the new form and instruction.

but I am asking because maybe this issue happen before someone has income enough for one person and he wants to sponsor his parent. can he apply for one only or the application will be refused.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Travel Dream said:
Thank you for replay

actually may parent still married. My wife doesn't work so i will Wait to see the new form and instruction.

but I am asking because maybe this issue happen before someone has income enough for one person and he wants to sponsor his parent. can he apply for one only or the application will be refused.

Thanks
You must make enough income to cover both parents even if you are only sponsoring one. If you do not have sufficient income to sponsor both parents then you can expect a refusal.

petersiddle28

Oct 12, 2013
Unless they are divorced, you cannot, think about supervisa options. This 5K and huge income is a hint from the govt - we don't want them here

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
scylla said:
You must make enough income to cover both parents even if you are only sponsoring one. If you do not have sufficient income to sponsor both parents then you can expect a refusal.
Scylla, I'm not sure if I understood completely--are you saying that even when the parents are divorced from each other and the son/daughter only wants to sponsor one of them, he/she would still have to meet the LICO for supporting both parents, plus 30%?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You have to calculate for the one(s) that you are sponsoring AND their family members. Divorced parents are no longer "family members" of each other.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
zardoz said:
You have to calculate for the one(s) that you are sponsoring AND their family members. Divorced parents are no longer "family members" of each other.
Yes, I agree that an ex-spouse would no longer be considered a family member of the parent who is being sponsored--hence my question as to why both parents would need to be factored into the sponsor's income requirement. Of course, if the parent being sponsored has dependent children under 22 (or under 19 as of January 1)--ie, siblings of the sponsor--then they would have to be counted in the income calculation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yelsew said:
Scylla, I'm not sure if I understood completely--are you saying that even when the parents are divorced from each other and the son/daughter only wants to sponsor one of them, he/she would still have to meet the LICO for supporting both parents, plus 30%?
No - I'm not saying that at all. If you look above then you'll see I was responding to Travel Dream. Travel Dream's parents are still married. Therefore Travel Dream must make sufficient income to meet the LICO requirements to sponsor both parents even if only one parent is being sponsored.

Reactions: danny_scars

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
scylla said:
No - I'm not saying that at all. If you look above then you'll see I was responding to Travel Dream. Travel Dream's parents are still married. Therefore Travel Dream must make sufficient income to meet the LICO requirements to sponsor both parents even if only one parent is being sponsored.
[/quote

Thank you for calrification

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
scylla said:
OK thanks. I see what you mean now; sorry I misunderstood.

Jacaranda

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anyone, appreciate any insight in this....

wat if the parents are separated and not legally divorced, and hence only one parent is interested in immigrating....

- do we need a formal separation notice (like a affidavit)
- and in that situation how does the sponsorship work (in terms of the size of the family??)

thanks

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Regina said:
Could you please give a link?
It's from a PDF doc, google it if u need the whole thng but...

Here is the ruling

Minimum necessary income requirement: Low-Income Cut-Off levels (LICO)
The sponsor's income must meet the minimum necessary income requirement, as
identified annually by Statistics Canada in LICO levels, to support all members of a
sponsor's own family and all sponsored persons and their family members, including
family members listed as non- accompanying.

Reactions: Kindness101