+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor is practically ineligible due to mental health

Cob

Dec 28, 2017
I have been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Social and General Anxiety Disorder, and Depression. How on earth is someone like me supposed to work through this system and sponsor my foreign wife from the Philippines? We have been trying to understand this process since 2010, and have been scammed out of 3000$ by a lawyer after our official marriage in 2015 when we thought we finally had what we needed to move forward. My dad has been in contact with our local MP to try and find out how he can help but it feels like we are being dismissed entirely. I have a solid job and am able to function in most every aspect of life but all of this is pushing our relationship and dragging us down. My wife is a hard working nurse in the Philippines with perfect English fluency and has spent many months in the United States with her family on various vacations but Canada seems to be an entirely different beast.. I'm sorry for the lack of formatting.. This topic really bugs me but I really need advice :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sorry but I don't quite understand what exactly the issue is. If you're legally married to your spouse, then you would simply start filling in all the required forms from the family class application package. An MP's office will not help with this. You can ask any questions to this forum on specific parts that you are having trouble with, after you have attempted yourself.
Link to complete app package is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/information/applications/spouse.asp

If you are not capable to fill in the forms on your own, then you really need to hire a private lawyer/immigration consultant to help you. This time though, you should pick a more reputable one backed up with other's recommendations.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The process of applying is generally relatively simple and you don't need the help of an immigration lawyer to apply unless your case is for some reason complicated (which as of now, it doesn't sound like it is). The vast majority of us here have applied on your own and there's no reason you can't do the same (your father could help you to complete the paperwork). MPs really cannot help you to apply and they aren't experts in immigration. They can assist somewhat if the processing of your application is taking too long - but that's about it.

Can you provide more information about your situation? Again, as of now, it doesn't sound that complex.

You are legally married - correct? Is there any paperwork you think you're lacking to apply?

I'm assuming you're currently working. Is that the case? If not, are you on social assistance / welfare? And if so, are you on the regular form of social assistance or on the disability version?

CaroM8

Feb 26, 2015
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
26/09/2016
AOR Received.
20/10/2016 - SA:25/10/2016 - AOR2: 22/12/16
File Transfer...
25/10/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
11-10-2017
LANDED..........
14-11-2017
I don’t really see what your problem is.. how are your health issues preventing you from starting the application process? If you’re married it’s pretty straight forward. Unless you are on social assistance, you shouldn’t have any big issues getting approved as a sponsor.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Social and General Anxiety Disorder, and Depression. How on earth is someone like me supposed to work through this system and sponsor my foreign wife from the Philippines? We have been trying to understand this process since 2010, and have been scammed out of 3000$ by a lawyer after our official marriage in 2015 when we thought we finally had what we needed to move forward. My dad has been in contact with our local MP to try and find out how he can help but it feels like we are being dismissed entirely. I have a solid job and am able to function in most every aspect of life but all of this is pushing our relationship and dragging us down. My wife is a hard working nurse in the Philippines with perfect English fluency and has spent many months in the United States with her family on various vacations but Canada seems to be an entirely different beast.. I'm sorry for the lack of formatting.. This topic really bugs me but I really need advice :(
Like the others, I really don't understand what the issue is. The sponsorship application is fairly straightforward. Follow the checklist and guide, fill out the forms, collect the documents. If it is your illnesses causing you difficulty in completing the app, then ask a family member or friend to help.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
My sponsor was diagnosed with major depressive disorder with extreme anxiety and OCD. I was the one who filled out all the paperwork, she went to the Philippines so that we can answer the forms together. But generally, I made sure I made it easier for her by doing most of the work and by mitigating any anxiety I could feel was about to come. Since your wife is a nurse, I’m sure she has ways to support you. Good luck!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You should be able to sponsor. Your mental health problems won't make you ineligible to sponsor, though they may make it very difficult for you to fill out the application.
If you are having a lot of trouble just doing the application, then maybe hire an immigration lawyer or consultant to help. Get an immigration lawyer, not just any lawyer. It is true that a lawyer is not necessary for simple cases, but if you are having trouble doing it, they can help.
In what way did the previous lawyer scam you?