+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor and Co-signer

Edkin`

Jun 9, 2017
Hi All,
I'm new in here. I am a Canadian citizen and I lived out of Canada for a long time. I married my wife in this period of time, and it has been 10 years already.
I am now moving back to Canada, it seems like my wife should apply the family class immigration. Of course I should be the sponsor but I do not have a job in Canada for now. I like to ask:
1. Can I be a sponsor?
2. In the sponsor form IMM1344E, do I need a co-signer?
3. Can she enter Canada to stay as visitor while the application in process?

Janchor

Apr 25, 2017
Hi All,
I'm new in here. I am a Canadian citizen and I lived out of Canada for a long time. I married my wife in this period of time, and it has been 10 years already.
I am now moving back to Canada, it seems like my wife should apply the family class immigration. Of course I should be the sponsor but I do not have a job in Canada for now. I like to ask:
1. Can I be a sponsor? Yes all PR's and citizens can be sponsors. If you are a citizen you can also sponsor her while you living outside Canada, however you will have to show proof of your intent to live in Canada once her PR is granted.
2. In the sponsor form IMM1344E, do I need a co-signer? No you do not
if you can prove that she has strong ties to her home country and will return back maybe she will be granted a TRV. This is usually very difficult given that her husband is in Canada which makes her ties to Canada stronger and has every reason to stay back.

NBbound

Apr 6, 2017
QUOTEHi All,
1. Can I be a sponsor?
3. Can she enter Canada to stay as visitor while the application in process?[/QUOTE]
Presuming you are a Canadian citizen by birth. We are in similar situation. Canadian husband wants to move back to Canada from U.K. We choose to apply Outland for permanent residency for me. It can take up to a year to get this. You can sponsor your wife and don't need a co-signer for this, you do need to state that you will be moving back to Canada with her and you do need to show a plan and proof on how you intend to honour your sponsor obligation to provide for her basic requirements (like food, shelter, health needs not provided by public health etc.). For example if you have savings or family members in Canada who would be happy for you both to live with them when you first arrive, your plans to find a new job in Canada, etc.
Believe many others choose to apply inland after having moved back to Canada but I am not sure how that works.

Janchor

Apr 25, 2017
QUOTEHi All,
1. Can I be a sponsor?
Presuming you are a Canadian citizen by birth. We are in similar situation. Canadian husband wants to move back to Canada from U.K. We choose to apply Outland for permanent residency for me. It can take up to a year to get this. You can sponsor your wife and don't need a co-signer for this, you do need to state that you will be moving back to Canada with her and you do need to show a plan and proof on how you intend to honour your sponsor obligation to provide for her basic requirements (like food, shelter, health needs not provided by public health etc.). For example if you have savings or family members in Canada who would be happy for you both to live with them when you first arrive, your plans to find a new job in Canada, etc.
Believe many others choose to apply inland after having moved back to Canada but I am not sure how that works.[/QUOTE]
It does not take a year anymore for Outland, the process got faster from Jan this year. One of the March applicants has already got a passport request in May, just three months of processing time

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,
1. Can I be a sponsor?
Hi

1. Yes, you can sponsor her.

2. You can't have a co-signer in a spousal sponsorship app.

3. If she is approved for a TRV or if she is visa-exempt, yes, she can come as a visitor while the app processes.

Reactions: Edkin`

NBbound

Apr 6, 2017
It does not take a year anymore for Outland, the process got faster from Jan this year. One of the March applicants has already got a passport request in May, just three months of processing time[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was quick, I am pleased for them. Those that have been lucky enough to be processed in Ottawa seem to get PR very quick for other Visa offices however it is very hit and miss on how long it takes. CIC themselves state the target is 12 months I believe. We applied in January and are waiting.

Edkin`

Jun 9, 2017
QUOTEHi All,
1. Can I be a sponsor?
Believe many others choose to apply inland after having moved back to Canada but I am not sure how that works.[/QUOTE]

Dear NBBound,
I guess we have everything we need to demonstrate the intention to move back is natural as I'm going to live with my family, and having all my kids back to school and I have resign my job already.
I like to ask, the "inland" that you mention is like "staying in Canada and to apply for immigration"? So "outland" is in another way?
Yours,
Ed.

Edkin`

Jun 9, 2017
Hi

1. Yes, you can sponsor her.

2. You can't have a co-signer in a spousal sponsorship app.

3. If she is approved for a TRV or if she is visa-exempt, yes, she can come as a visitor while the app processes.
Thank you very much Canuck in UK!

NBbound

Apr 6, 2017
Hi we applied outland and are staying in U.K. untill I receive PR, after which we will all move to Canada, we did not want to take the risk of moving to Canada first. As Janchor says there is a small possibility that I would not be granted entry into Canada then, as with my husband and kids being in Canada I would have far stronger ties to Canada than UK. However others do enter Canada first and apply inland (staying in Canada and apply for immigration).