+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Splitting time between US and Canada

grace321

Apr 27, 2023
I'm currently living in the US, received PR last month. I want to split my time to meet the PR requirements.

Main logistical issues I'm facing:
  • I'm looking to buy a new car in the US soon and eventually import it to Canada. Complicated and expensive process to import, but my understanding is you only have to do this once, then crossing the border every six months is fine. Changing registration, insurance, license, etc is annoying, but I don't see another way around this. Am I better off buying a car in Canada? Canada requires the car to be imported if you're staying over 3 months, but the US requirement is 1 year.
  • Health insurance
Do those of you that split time change your official residency each time you cross the border? Do you have insurance (car and/or health) that covers you in both countries?

Looking for advice, things I haven't thought of, problems you've run into, etc. Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Well, considering the current USD>CAD exchange, your greenbacks would go further in Canada and there's no costly and arduous importation process to deal with!

Can't really comment on your second part regarding insurance across the border. You don't change or declare your residency status each time you cross the border. Your country of residence will be a revolving door for you.

2. Yea, that could be a problem for you depending on the province where you plan to [sort of] settle in. This could also be problematic if you plan to have/keep separate health coverage for the time you are in the U.S., as the insurers will likely have residency requirements I suspect.

missmypartner

Sep 20, 2019
United States
Category........
FAM
I will be facing the same issue shortly. Of my research I found:
1) For vehicle importation...that parts easy. However you won't be able to import the vehicle if you still have a loan on it...otherwise your allowed to declare one vehicle on your goods to follow form without having to pay taxes. Two sub-issues, first make sure you ask for your driving record from your US state, as in Canada DLs are issued on a graduated basis- the longer you drive the higher your "grade". Your license classification GREATLY influences your auto insurance rates. Like going down from $4k a year to $2k a year. Second, if you can buy a car in the US without having loan- I'd do that because the sales tax you are going to pay in your state is way cheaper then the HST tax your going to pay in a province; which in my opinion mitigates the USD-CAD exchange.
2) For insurance and registration purposes: you can purchase auto "snowbird" insurance in Canada to cover your vehicle while you are in the US...I've not found a US company that will reciprocate coverage in Canada for more than 3 months.
3) Regarding health insurance: you can also purchase health insurance from a Canadian company to cover you in the US. However it might be cheaper to just get a US plan. Currently I will be keeping my US health insurance provided by my job and also have provincial coverage as well.

Hope this helps!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be facing the same issue shortly.
Will you be moving to Canada and then commuting across the border for work, or do you plan to continue living in the U.S.?

I ask because a PR that is living in Canada can count any trip to the U.S. (even a quick trip for gas, if not a trip for work) as a full day in Canada; an overnight trip counts as 2 full days in Canada; a long weekend (leave Canada Friday at 12:01 AM and return Sunday at 11:59 PM) will count for 2 full days in Canada. It makes it much easier to meet the Residency Obligation to maintain PR. ;)

Reactions: missmypartner

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1) For vehicle importation...that parts easy. However you won't be able to import the vehicle if you still have a loan on it...otherwise your allowed to declare one vehicle on your goods to follow form without having to pay taxes. Two sub-issues, first make sure you ask for your driving record from your US state, as in Canada DLs are issued on a graduated basis- the longer you drive the higher your "grade". Your license classification GREATLY influences your auto insurance rates. Like going down from $4k a year to $2k a year. Second, if you can buy a car in the US without having loan- I'd do that because the sales tax you are going to pay in your state is way cheaper then the HST tax your going to pay in a province; which in my opinion mitigates the USD-CAD exchange.
2) For insurance and registration purposes: you can purchase auto "snowbird" insurance in Canada to cover your vehicle while you are in the US...I've not found a US company that will reciprocate coverage in Canada for more than 3 months.
3) Regarding health insurance: you can also purchase health insurance from a Canadian company to cover you in the US. However it might be cheaper to just get a US plan. Currently I will be keeping my US health insurance provided by my job and also have provincial coverage as well.

Hope this helps!
When it comes to qualifying for provincial health insurance you need to meet the residency requirement to qualify for healthcare along with having a valid health card. The residency requirements differ in every province and the first year usually requires a longer residency period than subsequent years. During the first year you have to be present in Canada for 6-12 months depending on the province to qualify for healthcare.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm currently living in the US, received PR last month. I want to split my time to meet the PR requirements.

Main logistical issues I'm facing:
  • I'm looking to buy a new car in the US soon and eventually import it to Canada. Complicated and expensive process to import, but my understanding is you only have to do this once, then crossing the border every six months is fine. Changing registration, insurance, license, etc is annoying, but I don't see another way around this. Am I better off buying a car in Canada? Canada requires the car to be imported if you're staying over 3 months, but the US requirement is 1 year.
  • Health insurance
Do those of you that split time change your official residency each time you cross the border? Do you have insurance (car and/or health) that covers you in both countries?

Looking for advice, things I haven't thought of, problems you've run into, etc. Thanks!
Your plan to live 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the US may not work for health coverage. There is a residency requirement to qualify for healthcare that varies by province. For the first year the residency requirement can be 6-12 months. In general the provinces try to make sure you are a tax resident when you qualify for healthcare. Makes sense that provinces are trying to receive tax revenue i order to qualify for public healthcare.

grace321

Apr 27, 2023

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
I'm confused by the goods to follow form. I didn't know about it and wasn't asked about my belongings when I did my soft landing. I'm planning on doing 3 months in Canada this winter and not importing the car because I will not be meeting the "settler" import definition. I wonder if I can put the car on a goods to follow list at that point so when I do plan to import it, I won't pay tax on it. Lots of confusing information about importing a car in my situation where my "residency" is in the US but I'm a PR. But I'm going to kick that can down the road as I'm only going for a few months to start.

missmypartner

Sep 20, 2019
United States
Category........
FAM
I'm confused by the goods to follow form. I didn't know about it and wasn't asked about my belongings when I did my soft landing. I'm planning on doing 3 months in Canada this winter and not importing the car because I will not be meeting the "settler" import definition. I wonder if I can put the car on a goods to follow list at that point so when I do plan to import it, I won't pay tax on it. Lots of confusing information about importing a car in my situation where my "residency" is in the US but I'm a PR. But I'm going to kick that can down the road as I'm only going for a few months to start.
Yeah...I'd kick that can as well. Just make sure that you know the timeframe of your "goods to follow" I think the max time you can import goods after a soft landing is 1 year, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I will be selling my car in the US and then purchasing another one in Canada. It's to much of a hassle importing vehicles.

SamtoCanada

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah...I'd kick that can as well. Just make sure that you know the timeframe of your "goods to follow" I think the max time you can import goods after a soft landing is 1 year, but I can't remember off the top of my head. I will be selling my car in the US and then purchasing another one in Canada. It's to much of a hassle importing vehicles.
Just a correction there - there is no time limit to import goods once you have mentioned them in the goods to follow list.
Source: https://www.prepareforcanada.com/before-you-arrive/settling-in-canada/goods-to-follow-bringing-your-belongings-to-canada/