+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special program to sponsor Afghan refugees without refugee status from the UNHCR or a foreign state

Dec 21, 2022
Let’s think about a way on how we(all the sponsors) can advocate for the cap to be removed for this program to sponsor our families

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Let’s think about a way on how we(all the sponsors) can advocate for the cap to be removed for this program to sponsor our families
The government has been very firm that the cap will not be removed because there are demands from elsewhere around the world and a large volume of asylum seekers coming over the border. If the cap was removed they woukd have to scale back or stop asylum seekers from other countries. Your best option is to try to get private sponsorship or have your family member come to Canada on a WP if they have a skill that is needed. There are also still many people from the program still struggling to integrate into Canada and the settlement services can only absorb so many people while there are many countries in crisis from Ukraine, Haiti, Afghanistan, Venezuela, etc.

Cowboy8611

Nov 14, 2022
The government has been very firm that the cap will not be removed because there are demands from elsewhere around the world and a large volume of asylum seekers coming over the border. If the cap was removed they woukd have to scale back or stop asylum seekers from other countries. Your best option is to try to get private sponsorship or have your family member come to Canada on a WP if they have a skill that is needed. There are also still many people from the program still struggling to integrate into Canada and the settlement services can only absorb so many people while there are many countries in crisis from Ukraine, Haiti, Afghanistan, Venezuela, etc.
The government has pledged to admit 40,000 Afghan refugees by the end of the year, however, to date, fewer than 25,000 have been admitted. Using taxpayer funds to sponsor these refugees through federal sponsorship can place a burden on taxpayers. Instead, why not make this allocation available for private sponsorship? This way, not only is there less strain on taxpayers, but privately sponsored refugees are also less likely to rely on welfare benefits.

Currently, there is no limit or cap on the number of Ukrainian refugees who can be admitted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The government has pledged to admit 40,000 Afghan refugees by the end of the year, however, to date, fewer than 25,000 have been admitted. Using taxpayer funds to sponsor these refugees through federal sponsorship can place a burden on taxpayers. Instead, why not make this allocation available for private sponsorship? This way, not only is there less strain on taxpayers, but privately sponsored refugees are also less likely to rely on welfare benefits.

Currently, there is no limit or cap on the number of Ukrainian refugees who can be admitted.
Ukrainians are being given WPs and their situation is very different. Most have indicated they want to return to Ukraine because the issue isn’t with the governing body like the Taliban. Many also only have part of their family in Canada and want to return to reunite with close family members who have had to remain in Ukraine or chosen to remain in Ukraine for a variety of reasons. Around a third of the country is still operating somewhat normally. Finding enough private sponsors to support that many people from Afghanistan is extremely hard especially given the current state of the world and the economic strain within Canada due to inflation. Canadians applying in large numbers of private sponsors was possible for the Syrians because there were less concerns facing Canadians at that period of time and many groups had never taken on such a challenge and wanted to help. Most were naive in terms of the commitment. Many would not be in a position to help again especially so soon and many are struggling to address the needs for support in their local communities. Many were naïve going into the program and expected rainbows and butterflies and the experience had been more difficult than they had anticipated. Some of course had wonderful experiences but to have such a large number of private sponsors you aren’t dealing with groups that regularly deal with asylum seekers and private sponsorship. There are already privately sponsored families from Afghanistan also being sponsored so to find hundreds of private sponsor groups on top of that would be very difficult. It would also likely lead to increased delays at this point. Yes privately sponsored families tend to have better outcomes but partially because those selected for private sponsorship tend have higher skill levels, tend to be smaller families, are not chosen based on being especially vulnerable for example widows and children or having medical needs, etc. There are still many privately sponsored refugees that have ended up on welfare although one year later or brûlée that one year in some cases. In general, absorbing newcomers is extremely hard at the moment because of the high cost of housing and tight supply of housing especially 2+ bedrooms and the higher cost of living.

zm7

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
Kabul, Afghanistan
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
June 23, 2016
AOR Received.
July 5, 2016
File Transfer...
August 31, 2016
Med's Request
upfront and Feb 02, 2018
Med's Done....
May 25, 2016, Re-medical: Feb 03, 2018
Interview........
April 06, 2017
Passport Req..
Feb 12, 2018 :))))
VISA ISSUED...
March 02, 2018 :D
LANDED..........
March 10, 2018 <3
Hi, I submitted 2 applications one on Oct 17 and one on Oct 18, I have file numbers for both, and both show in the process. No updates after that. Did anyone get an update after the "application received"? For me, both PAs are in Iran. Is anyone else in the same situation?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I submitted 2 applications one on Oct 17 and one on Oct 18, I have file numbers for both, and both show in the process. No updates after that. Did anyone get an update after the "application received"? For me, both PAs are in Iran. Is anyone else in the same situation?
Is this a private sponsorship or government Sponsorship? Do you have G number?

Apr 19, 2023
our sponsorship approved on January 5... after that we did not receive any update? how about you ? did you receive the interview date?

azizfaqiry

Nov 27, 2017
I know about many G5 special programs for Afghan applicants who got their interviews, medicals, and biometrics done in Pakistan. I am not sure how they will process it from Iran considering the diplomatic limitations.

Dec 21, 2022
I submitted my applications for sponsoring my family members from pakistan under this program but I didn’t receive any response so far is anybody here in the same situation?

Apr 19, 2023
[QUOTE="azizfaqiry, post: 10479619, member: 714911"
I know about many G5 special programs for Afghan applicants who got their interviews, medicals, and biometrics done in Pakistan. I am not sure how they will process it from Iran considering the diplomatic limitations.
[/QUOTE]
Hello,
how did you receive these information? Because I aw very worry why we did not receive any update from January 5 even our sponsorship approved...