+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special permission for Refugee to visit home to visit very sick family members while using armed guards.

EmbraceCanada

Sep 14, 2022
Hi Good People I am a PR with refugee status. I am grateful to Canada for being accepted so warmly. I never took a cent from the Canadian taxpayer as I am blessed to be employed about a month after landing. I am in the Tech sector and earn quite well and contribute to many charities, the poor and volunteer to uplift our Canadian society. I would like to travel back home if for only a week to visit my sickly mom, who had a stroke, my brother and sister who have severe heart issues. Can I make a special application with the Government to travel home for a short while, under armed guard if I have to, in order to visit my family just once in case their health deteriorates further. Your assistance is appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Good People I am a PR with refugee status. I am grateful to Canada for being accepted so warmly. I never took a cent from the Canadian taxpayer as I am blessed to be employed about a month after landing. I am in the Tech sector and earn quite well and contribute to many charities, the poor and volunteer to uplift our Canadian society. I would like to travel back home if for only a week to visit my sickly mom, who had a stroke, my brother and sister who have severe heart issues. Can I make a special application with the Government to travel home for a short while, under armed guard if I have to, in order to visit my family just once in case their health deteriorates further. Your assistance is appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear about your mother's health issues.

There's no special application process unfortunately. You would simply travel to your home country and then hope IRCC does not pursue cessation later. There is an active thread on this topic in the Citizenship section of the forum. I would recommend that you find that thread and do some reading there.

Ultimately there's no way to get approval to go. You'll just have to go and hope IRCC doesn't take action against you later. Good luck and hope your family members get better soon.

Reactions: Simba112 and YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Here's the cessation thread I mentioned in my post above:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/refugee-status-cessation-and-prs-applying-for-citizenship.333455/page-45

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are in a position to afford private security perhaps you can consider hiring an private ambulance to take them to a neighbouring country to visit you. I know that this may not be possible but if your family lives within driving distance of another country that will allow them to enter and will also allow you to visit with an RTD that may be something to consider. Whether they are in a condition to travel if they are surrounded by a medical team and can lay down in a vehicle.

This is not related to this case but for other considering applying for asylum is important to consider:
i am sorry to hear about the health of your family. Unfortunately applying for asylum comes with some very serious drawbacks which is why I often suggest that if anyone qualifies for other immigration pathways that they apply for other options over asylum even if it takes longer. Friends and family of protected people or asylum claimants often have more difficulty securing permits and visas because there is concern that they will also apply for asylum so that is something to consider. Even when they obtain Canadian citizenship there can still be concern about the true intention of friends and family. If you get protected status due to something that only affects you, like being part of the LGBTQIA+ community, other family members are unlikely to apply for asylum or qualify for asylum but if you come from a minority group in your country there will be concern that family and friends from the same group may also apply for asylum. Once you get Canadian citizenship as a protected person you can then visit your home country. Many decide that they can wait 5 years and then be able to visit their home country but most are unaware of the backlogs when applying for asylum, applying for PR, applying for citizenship, etc. or that it is not uncommon to get denied asylum initially and have to appeal or keep on pursuing other types of appeals or immigration programs until you secure status in Canada so it could easily be closer to 10+ years until you get citizenship. Unfortunately you are already a protected person so not relevant in your case but others reading your post should consider their options. Some may have not realized that they can’t return home without risking their status in Canada (reavailment) and that there are not exceptions if a family member is sick or hurt.

Reactions: zak86 and dzx

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
As per the other members comment, there is no special permission to reavail. In your situation if you have RTD, you will be denied boarding pass since there is restriction stamp on your RTD. If you choose to use your country of origin passport, three factors will be met that is intention, voluntariness and actual re-availment. I am not say that is automatic cessation, but onus on you to prove before court when minister applies to cease. If Minister does not, Passport officer will flag your application and refer to IRCC when you apply for citizenship. Sorry for your family situation....
below links will give you cases, but imo your situation falls under amnesty/compassionate framework.

https://irb.gc.ca/en/legal-policy/legal-concepts/Pages/RefDef12.aspx