File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We have to both live in Canada for one year to show that we are in common law...
No - you can live together for one year continuously anywhere in the world and be classified as common law. Doesn't have to be Canada.

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
Travel to a 3rd country together to get married, live together for a year, if he/she is denied a TRV you can apply for conjugal sponsorship.
He's denied a study visa, does that work for conjugal sponsership? And if works, can I add him as my spouse when I apply for EE?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah, I know this way. But as covid 19, it is impossible currently.
Since you are together in your country, you can establish common law by living together there for a year (does not need to be in Canada).

Is your partner a Canadian citizen or PR? You could get authorization to travel as extended family.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#extended-citizen-pr

You would still need a visa. You would need to apply for a visa to enter Canada (TRV) and be refused to be able to qualify as conjugal, so go ahead and apply anyway.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Some agencies can hold the ceremony and offer me legal us marriage licence. I am curious how CIC will know the marriage is valid or not, as there's no information to show if it is a proxy/virtual marriage on the licence.
For example, when they ask you to demonstrate you got married in [us state] and you have no USA visa or entry stamps?

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
No - you can live together for one year continuously anywhere in the world and be classified as common law. Doesn't have to be Canada.
Thank you! So if I can verify that we are living together for one year in another non-english speaking country (there's gonna be a lot of documentation and translations), can I add him as my spouse when I apply for PR through EE?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you! So if I can verify that we are living together for one year in another non-english speaking country (there's gonna be a lot of documentation and translations), can I add him as my spouse when I apply for PR through EE?
You can add him as a common law partner if you can prove the year of continuous cohabitation.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you live together for a year before you got the WP?

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
Did you live together for a year before you got the WP?
No. I was in Canada for study before WP, he was in our country. I got WP last year and then covid 19 started. I came back to my country and lived with him for around one year until now. I will be back to Canada a few months later.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. I was in Canada for study before WP, he was in our country. I got WP last year and then covid 19 started. I came back to my country and lived with him for around one year until now. I will be back to Canada a few months later.
Ok that is good. Do you have a job or job offer to enter Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I am currently working for a Canadian company remotely.
Ok you'll need proof to fly to Canada. Would start collecting proof of living together like lease with both names, utility bills with both your names or either of your names, address and dates starting from the start of the first year, other mail like deliveries, etc.,

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
Ok you'll need proof to fly to Canada. Would start collecting proof of living together like lease with both names, utility bills with both your names or either of your names, address and dates starting from the start of the first year, other mail like deliveries, etc.,
As all these proofs are not in English, we have to translate the copy to english ourselves. Is that valid?