+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Special case not sure if it is a Proxy Marriage

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
Hi,

I know proxy marriage is illegal in Canada. But I have a special case that I am not sure if it belongs to proxy marriage.

Due to Covid 19, I am currently in my country with my partner, yes we are gay couple. It is illegal for same-sex marriage in my country, thus I cannot get a marriage certificate here. I know now some states of US can hold online marriage ceremony to get a legal marriage certificate. Of course, I and my partner will be presenting in the same room physically as well as our witness, but the officiant will conduct the ceremony online, means he/she will be virtually. Does this situation belongs to proxy marriage?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I know proxy marriage is illegal in Canada. But I have a special case that I am not sure if it belongs to proxy marriage.

Due to Covid 19, I am currently in my country with my partner, yes we are gay couple. It is illegal for same-sex marriage in my country, thus I cannot get a marriage certificate here. I know now some states of US can hold online marriage ceremony to get a legal marriage certificate. Of course, I and my partner will be presenting in the same room physically as well as our witness, but the officiant will conduct the ceremony online, means he/she will be virtually. Does this situation belongs to proxy marriage?
No you can't do an online marriage while in another country.

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
No you can't do an online marriage while in another country.
Hi, thanks for your reply. But I am just curious, on CIC'S website, they have defined what is called proxy marriage. There are three cases:

1, Proxy marriage is defined as a marriage in which one or both of the participants are not physically present, but they are represented by another person who attends the solemnization.
2, A telephone, fax or Internet marriage is a marriage in which one or both of the participants are not physically present at the same location, but participate in the solemnization of the marriage by telephone, fax, Internet or other means (e.g. Skype or FaceTime).
3, It is possible that someone other than the persons getting married participates on their behalf as well as over the telephone, by fax, Internet or other means.

And to be considered physically present at a marriage ceremony, both parties (e.g. sponsor and spouse or principal applicant and accompanying spouse) must have participated in a wedding ceremony in person.

But my case does not violate any one point of these three above. The ceremony will be hold physically, but only the officiant will attend online.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

You may want to verify with an immigration lawyer. IMO this won't work because the marriage valid under the laws of the jurisdiction where it took place. I think that jurisdiction will be regarded as the country where you and your partner are in vs. where the officiant is.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-relationship.html#sameSexMarriages

Any chance you qualify as common law partners?

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, thanks for your reply. But I am just curious, on CIC'S website, they have defined what is called proxy marriage. There are three cases:

1, Proxy marriage is defined as a marriage in which one or both of the participants are not physically present, but they are represented by another person who attends the solemnization.
2, A telephone, fax or Internet marriage is a marriage in which one or both of the participants are not physically present at the same location, but participate in the solemnization of the marriage by telephone, fax, Internet or other means (e.g. Skype or FaceTime).
3, It is possible that someone other than the persons getting married participates on their behalf as well as over the telephone, by fax, Internet or other means.

And to be considered physically present at a marriage ceremony, both parties (e.g. sponsor and spouse or principal applicant and accompanying spouse) must have participated in a wedding ceremony in person.

But my case does not violate any one point of these three above. The ceremony will be hold physically, but only the officiant will attend online.
It isn't a proxy marriage but it also isn't a normal marriage where people getting married are in the same country that is supplying the marriage certificate. We have already seen a similar marriage get rejected this year on this forum.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

So is your marriage being registered in the country where you are both present? You can get married online but being recognized is another issue as it isn’t being registered where you live.

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
It isn't a proxy marriage but it also isn't a normal marriage where people getting married are in the same country that is supplying the marriage certificate. We have already seen a similar marriage get rejected this year on this forum.
Thank you so much! Do you have a link to that case? It may be an important reference to me.

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
You may want to verify with an immigration lawyer. IMO this won't work because the marriage valid under the laws of the jurisdiction where it took place. I think that jurisdiction will be regarded as the country where you and your partner are in vs. where the officiant is.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-relationship.html#sameSexMarriages

Any chance you qualify as common law partners?

We have to both live in Canada for one year to show that we are in common law...

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
So is your marriage being registered in the country where you are both present? You can get married online but being recognized is another issue as it isn’t being registered where you live.
No, we are in country A, and want to get marriage certificate from US. Do you have any advice to my case?

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
Do you have any advice to my case?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would not rely on the likelihood that this will be accepted in Canada for a whole variety of reasons - amongst which, I don't believe Canada would accept a marriage performed "by" one jurisdiction for individuals who are not physically present in that jurisdiction. (There are probably some gaps - not least in my knowledge - but I think the US states that have announced this require both parties to the marriage to be in the state).

If you go this route, you may end up having far more difficulties in future.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, we are in country A, and want to get marriage certificate from US. Do you have any advice to my case?
Travel to a 3rd country together to get married, live together for a year, if he/she is denied a TRV you can apply for conjugal sponsorship.

dustyding

Apr 18, 2021
I would not rely on the likelihood that this will be accepted in Canada for a whole variety of reasons - amongst which, I don't believe Canada would accept a marriage performed "by" one jurisdiction for individuals who are not physically present in that jurisdiction. (There are probably some gaps - not least in my knowledge - but I think the US states that have announced this require both parties to the marriage to be in the state).

If you go this route, you may end up having far more difficulties in future.

Some agencies can hold the ceremony and offer me legal us marriage licence. I am curious how CIC will know the marriage is valid or not, as there's no information to show if it is a proxy/virtual marriage on the licence.