+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP PROCESSING TIME 2021

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
@yenice , @Mahir009 - My SOWP is also approved. I was not aware we need a valid job offer to enter. I thought we just have to get an exemption letter from IRCC to enter.
That’s what I thought that we can get exemption under family reunification and travel but that’s will not give us work permit on port of entry. So we need a valid job offer and I dont know what kind of jobs we can get which will satisfy the immigration officer.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
That’s what I thought that we can get exemption under family reunification and travel but that’s will not give us work permit on port of entry. So we need a valid job offer and I dont know what kind of jobs we can get which will satisfy the immigration officer.
Oops i was not aware... Where did you read it?

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
You don't need a job offer if you have a spouse either studying or working. All you need is a travel exemption letter and need to explain the officer at the POE why it is important for you to be with your spouse. Reasoning needs to be essential.

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021
You don't need a job offer if you have a spouse either studying or working. All you need is a travel exemption letter and need to explain the officer at the POE why it is important for you to be with your spouse. Reasoning needs to be essential.
@phaijalkhan - In my case both me and my spouse will be entering Canada for the first time. My spouse is studying now online. Is it applicable in my case? I believe @Mahir009 spouse is already there in Canada

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
@phaijalkhan - In my case both me and my spouse will be entering Canada for the first time. My spouse is studying now online. Is it applicable in my case? I believe @Mahir009 spouse is already there in Canada
Yes it is applicable. It should be the same reasoning you gave in the application for Travel Exemption Letter.

@Mahir009 you should also carry a letter from your wife which explains her POV as why she wants you to be there.

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
Yes it is applicable. It should be the same reasoning you gave in the application for Travel Exemption Letter.

@Mahir009 you should also carry a letter from your wife which explains her POV as why she wants you to be there.
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/visitors-workers-students

this is written on the above website

Who can't enter Canada as a foreign worker
The following reasons are considered non-essential (discretionary).

You will not be allowed to enter Canada if:

• You have a letter of introduction for an employer-specific work permit but your employer has closed their business due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
  • You have a letter of introduction for an open work permit, but you don’t have a job contract and are planning to find a job once you arrive in Canada
  • @phaijalkhan @yenice

Last edited:

Sam123Smr

Star Member
Jan 28, 2021

• You have a letter of introduction for an employer-specific work permit but your employer has closed their business due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
  • You have a letter of introduction for an open work permit, but you don’t have a job contract and are planning to find a job once you arrive in Canada
  • @phaijalkhan @yenice
@Mahir009 - Now i am totally confused. I see the below in the same link you have send.

If you’ve been approved for a work permit
When you travel, show the following documents to show that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions:
  • passport or travel document, and
  • proof that you’re allowed to work in Canada, specifically
    • a valid work permit or
    • a port of entry letter of introduction that shows that you were approved for a work permit

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023

• @phaijalkhan @yenice
This is only for people who just have an open work permit. They are not going for any family reunification or not going with a spouse who is either working or studying. In that case you need a job offer as of now.

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
@Mahir009 - Now i am totally confused. I see the below in the same link you have send.

If you’ve been approved for a work permit
When you travel, show the following documents to show that you’re exempt from the travel restrictions:
  • passport or travel document, and
  • proof that you’re allowed to work in Canada, specifically
    • a valid work permit or
    • a port of entry letter of introduction that shows that you were approved for a work permit
Scroll down on the same page and you will find this

Some of your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada. You must be in one of the following relationships:

• you’re the spouse or common-law partner of the student
  • you’re the dependent child of the student, or of the student’s spouse or common-law partner
  • you’re the parent or step-parent of the student, or of the student's spouse or common-law partner
  • you’re the guardian or tutor of the student

If one of these family members travels with you
They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

If your immediate family member will study or work in Canada

You must submit all of your applications together when you apply online.

If they won’t study or work

They may still need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

If they need a visitor visa, you should include their application when you apply online for your study permit.

If they need an eTA, they must apply for one separately.

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021
This is only for people who just have an open work permit. They are not going for any family reunification or not going with a spouse who is either working or studying. In that case you need a job offer as of now.
Exactly @phaijalkhan that what I am thinking but my agent says you need to have job offer to prove to officer that you are here to establish yourself and not here for short visit which will make the travel discretionary. I am total confused. Btw what are you planning to travel?

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023

Some of your immediate family members may be able to come with you to Canada. You must be in one of the following relationships:

• you’re the dependent child of the student, or of the student’s spouse or common-law partner
  • you’re the parent or step-parent of the student, or of the student's spouse or common-law partner

They don’t need a written authorization from IRCC to travel with you. However, they must show that their reasons for travel are non-discretionary (non-optional). For example, they’ll help you get established and support you in Canada.

They may still need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

If they need a visitor visa, you should include their application when you apply online for your study permit.

Although here it's written you dont need a travel authorization, it is an unwritten rule and you still need it. Airlines wont allow you to board without it.

Mahir009

Star Member
Jan 3, 2021

Yes you are right only if you are travelling with your spouse you don’t need it but what if you are travelling alone and your spouse is already in Canada.

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
Exactly @phaijalkhan that what I am thinking but my agent says you need to have job offer to prove to officer that you are here to establish yourself and not here for short visit which will make the travel discretionary. I am total confused. Btw what are you planning to travel?
Your agent is wrong. People have been able to go.

Only issue is when the spouse is already there, there have been cases where the Airlines checked with CBSA before boarding and the officer there determined that the person's reason aint essential and denied boarding. It is totally at the officer's discretion. Good news is i haven't seen such things with the Airlines in India. They haven't bothered anyone with it. Happened with people from Caribbeans a lot.

phaijalkhan

Oct 4, 2019
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
02-03-2023
Yes you are right only if you are travelling with your spouse you don’t need it but what if you are travelling alone and your spouse is already in Canada.
Yes it does become a little bit more difficult in this case but i havent seen a refusal to board yet from India. It may have happened but i havent seen anything yet here. Get your documents right, take a direct flight to Canada so you avoid scrutiny again at the connecting location. Once you are in Canada, it is very rare that the officer will deny you entry. You really will have to suck at it.