+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korea Police Certificates

ishrat6788

Aug 12, 2019
So you can ask them again in English version, if police is nice to you. For my case, I did write an explanation letter and screenshot the website blocked when I tried to log in to get the certificate by my foreign ID number, then uploaded it on GCKey together with my background check certificate. However, my application is kept silent for a month, I don't know it works well or not by this way.

Did you get approval for that yet?
I didn’t submit any documented proof as at the time of my appeal I couldn’t get any documented proof. So for my case, in my webform I only explained the situation verbally. And I recently got my COPR. So I guess CIC is already updated regarding the issue.

Reactions: tham_son

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
We are planning to just submit the background check from the embassy in Toronto along with emails from the Korean National Police and the Korean Embassy in Toronto that state that they don't a) they don't issue that type of criminal check to foreigners and b) it is illegal to use that document for immigration purposes. The emails are in English and the one from the embassy is very clear about how it is illegal.

alexjake

Feb 28, 2020
I didn’t submit any documented proof as at the time of my appeal I couldn’t get any documented proof. So for my case, in my webform I only explained the situation verbally. And I recently got my COPR. So I guess CIC is already updated regarding the issue.
Hi, I'm having the same problem now. I have the police check from the Embassy but could not get the required one by CIC. Could you please send me the website stating that Korean Police does not issue that kind of police check anymore? Thank you in advance!

alexjake

Feb 28, 2020
So you can ask them again in English version, if police is nice to you. For my case, I did write an explanation letter and screenshot the website blocked when I tried to log in to get the certificate by my foreign ID number, then uploaded it on GCKey together with my background check certificate. However, my application is kept silent for a month, I don't know it works well or not by this way.

Did you get approval for that yet?
Hi, could you please send me the address of the website when you tried to log in to get the certificate by your foreign ID number. Is the foreign ID number is your Alien Card number? Thank you in advance!

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Thanks for the webpage but I'm absolutely Korean illiterate. Could you please show me the final link for the notice saying that the issuance of the document to foreigners is illegal?
You have to know Korean, register and log in, then see they block showing to foreigner ID, if you log in by Korean ID, you can download the certificate (there are 3 options for you to choose).

My explanation with 3 reasons:

1. Meet police in person: give them where, time, phone, name
2. Call 182: what they said.
3. Website link: screenshot.

alexjake

Feb 28, 2020
You have to know Korean, register and log in, then see they block showing to foreigner ID, if you log in by Korean ID, you can download the certificate (there are 3 options for you to choose).

My explanation with 3 reasons:

1. Meet police in person: give them where, time, phone, name
2. Call 182: what they said.
3. Website link: screenshot.
Thank you so much for the information. I will try to figure this out since it's almost not feasible to go to Korea now due to Coronavirus outbreak there. My friends are no longer there. About 182, I can't call from Vietnam as well. It looks like a cul-de-sac now.

Last edited:

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Thank you so much for the information. I will try to figure this out since it's almost not feasible to go to Korea now due to Coronavirus outbreak there. My friends are no longer there. About 182, I can't call from Vietnam as well. It looks like cul-de-sac now.
You can search other article on this forum to get advice, some guys they explain them by references here.

alexjake

Feb 28, 2020
You can search other article on this forum to get advice, some guys they explain them by references here.
Thank you so much for your advice. I will look around for the answer. I'm just wondering if hiring a company to apply for this for me could address this problem regardless getting it or not since I could show CIC that I've made an effort to get the document but still can't manage to get it.

billfish87

Jul 5, 2016
I emailed the Korean National Police < crc@police.go.kr > and the Korean embassy in Toronto < toronto2@mofa.go.kr > asking about the possibility of getting the background check required by CIC. They both replied explaining that it is illegal or not possible. I used these emails as evidence as well as a letter of explanation of how it is impossible to get now. An immigration officer called my partner saying he would still need the background check from Korea, but my partner continued to explain the situation. The immigration officer talked to his colleagues and then 10 min later we got the DM letter. He received PR on Thursday!
Good luck.

leo512

Jun 1, 2019
Tokyo
Category........
Other
I went to Seoul Mapo Police Station. address is 618-1 Ahyeon-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea. When you enter the vicinity, do not go to the main building, go straight to the separate building on the left for foreigners. make sure you print the copy of the exact document on the blog just to show them what exact document you need and present you passport and copy of your old alien registration card. You can tell them you need the exact copy in english version and they should be able to give it within 5 minutes. i didnt have a problem getting it and i can barely speak korean. i spoke to them by just showing the document i needed and it worked for me.
What if I don't have a copy my alien registration card and I don't even remember the number...
I've asked my Korean friend to help me get this police certificate but she's been rejected. The officer told her they don't issue the police certificate to foreigners applying through agents and added that I should go in person...

singkm

Apr 10, 2020
maybe your friend wasn't doing the right process. I flew back to Korea just to get the Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply and i successfully got it. I figured its safer to do it myself rather than just asking somebody else to do it for me and end up not doing it right neither getting the right document. i simply went to mapokyongchalso and showed a copy of the document i printed from this blog https://taffytoffy.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/korea-police-certificate-a-step-by-step-guide-韩国无犯罪证明/ to the officer. I told them it's my friend's copy and that i needed the english version. Also provided them my old passport and photocopy of my old Alien registration card. Voila! i got it right then and there. I completely disagree that it's illegal since i got mine just first week of june.
Hi Are you a Korean national as it appears they are still issuing to Koreans but not to foreigners.. Allminwon is also handling Korean nationals but they have stopped same for non-Koreans.... I am also in same problem any idea if there is any way for a foreigner to get the same. Many thanks...

singkm

Apr 10, 2020
I emailed the Korean National Police < crc@police.go.kr > and the Korean embassy in Toronto < toronto2@mofa.go.kr > asking about the possibility of getting the background check required by CIC. They both replied explaining that it is illegal or not possible. I used these emails as evidence as well as a letter of explanation of how it is impossible to get now. An immigration officer called my partner saying he would still need the background check from Korea, but my partner continued to explain the situation. The immigration officer talked to his colleagues and then 10 min later we got the DM letter. He received PR on Thursday!
Good luck.
Hi, atleast some good news to hear it. I am in same boat. Will it be possible for you to share the Letter of Explaination (removing all personal details) to me so that I am sure i am not missing any critical point. BTW are you koreans or foreign nationals as it appears Koreans citizen can get this certificate but it becomes issue when one is foreigner.

Reactions: Significant_bag

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
Good luck.
Where did you find that email address if you don't mind me asking? (crc@police.go.kr )