+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korea Police Certificates

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
NOT at all. no need to worry about this cuz it's not a criminal offense
I am sorry but I don't think you can say that it's not a criminal offence. I got a chance to communicate with the Korean embassy in Toronto today and they have clearly let me know that it is illegal and "if a person uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government), they could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won." I don't know how this can apply to non-Korean citizens but it's a serious matter for Korean citizens, if you ask me.

I think the biggest problem here is that there are people who are getting this certificate (with the lapsed records) through some sort of loophole (whether it's hiring some illegal agencies, begging, personal favor, etc). And because there exists this type of incongruity, it makes it hard for people who try to get this done the legal way. If all of us inform the Canadian government collectively that it is illegal to submit such record and therefore, we cannot obtain this document, then it would be a different story.

I am sure many are good folks on this page and you guys don't mean to do things illegally but I just wanted to address my opinion. I hope you can catch my drift.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mjg0503

JTPr

May 15, 2020
I hope I can get my PR shortly. I was told my CIC agent that I passed everything except for my South Korean Criminal Record Certificate with Lapsed record. - pending.

i have included my letter of explanation within my submission...with official email from South Korean Consulate in Toronto stating it is illegal to get it and use it..

Hopefully I can get my PR soon....!

it is really a frustrating situation

Reactions: Dusyant Kumar

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Hi
Can you share points and what you tried to show in Letter of explanation for same. Had u heard back from CIC after your LOE submission regarding same?.

thanks

Significant_bag

Nov 14, 2019
I hope I can get my PR shortly. I was told my CIC agent that I passed everything except for my South Korean Criminal Record Certificate with Lapsed record. - pending.

i have included my letter of explanation within my submission...with official email from South Korean Consulate in Toronto stating it is illegal to get it and use it..

Hopefully I can get my PR soon....!

it is really a frustrating situation
That's unnerving! Maybe they just need some time to call and check with the consulate. Please let us know how it goes. You got the call today?

JTPr

May 15, 2020
What made you decide to give them a call? Also, if you don't mind me asking -- have you submitted your biometrics btw? I wish you good luck!
Thank you! I gave them a call because I wanna see where I was at as some of my friends have already got their PR.

i have submitted my biometrics. My final decision is coming very soon!

nutmeg13

Nov 12, 2019
Hello,

I have a question regarding South Korean police certificates.

The IRCC website states for South Korean police certificates: "Police certificates must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records (실효된 형 포함)"

The certificate I received looks like this one "https://taffytoffy.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/criminal-records-check-reply11.png?w=640". The certificate states it is "for confirmation of investigation card materials (including lapsed of criminal sentences" but does not specifically state that all records have been checked.

Is this a concern? Does anyone know what the certificates look like that have been approved in the past, and does it specifically state that all records have been checked?

Thank you.
did you get the PCC from Korea?

Jason68

Jul 10, 2020
I did but it is in Korean. What poofs did you submit? Can you email them to me?
Hi,Wanny, how is your pr application? I got the same situation as you. Do you still have the page that police to you said it cannot be issued since 2019/11/07? Even it's Korean, it would help me. If you still have, can you share it with me? Thank you so much

Reactions: lemondrop0316

Cyano

Nov 1, 2020
I've read all of your comments. But no one confirmed what happens finally. Please, someone, share your full experience, and give us a clear direction.

1. what should I upload while applying so that my application won't be rejected?
2. should I take PCC from alminwon? do they accept it?
3. what proof I can use instead of a lapse record?

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
1. Ideally u shud upload what they asked for without any stamps. Is that possible even with allminwon its not as they put not to be submitted big stamp in red on that.
2. nobody can guarantee alminwon its all visa officer discretion
3. show a big LOE with all communications u tried to get what they asked for and its not possible. Submit the PCC issued by korea police (not the lapsed record one) and explain with LOE. It has worked for few members for sure. Few members might havegot rejetion again so its all on Visa officer.

My application is under process in AOR stage only so can't tell it works or not.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
I've read all of your comments. But no one confirmed what happens finally. Please, someone, share your full experience, and give us a clear direction.

1. what should I upload while applying so that my application won't be rejected?
2. should I take PCC from alminwon? do they accept it?
3. what proof I can use instead of a lapse record?
Only time will tell if it was good advice, but I emailed the Canadian Embassy in Seoul and they advised sending the police certificate without the lapsed records along with a cover letter explaining the situation and any supporting documents (I included their email, an email from the Korean national police, and an email from the Korean consulate in Toronto). I think that's the best they can reasonably expect us to do.

Esiri92

Nov 3, 2020
I had this same problem and after back and forth and telling IRCC that I can’t submit this document because it’s not given to foreigners, they waived it for me.

Reactions: Hope2022

Dusyant Kumar

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Hi Guys,
I am in the same situation now, i requested my friend to go and ask for the PCC certificate with lapse records in the police station in Seoul but they denied it.
So what is the latest information or update on this? Have you all got your PR explaining the situation and submitting the PCC from the Korean embassy in Canada? Please advise.

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Hi Guys,
I am in the same situation now, i requested my friend to go and ask for the PCC certificate with lapse records in the police station in Seoul but they denied it.
So what is the latest information or update on this? Have you all got your PR explaining the situation and submitting the PCC from the Korean embassy in Canada? Please advise.
yes last week only i recall some guy messaged they provided explanation with all emails to different korean offices etc telling its illegal. so now they appear to be aware of this. LOE should work now. Do collate all information by mailing to Korea police, korean embassy in your country, in korea etc.