+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

South Korea Police Certificates

Mhayang

Sep 4, 2019
Hello,

I have a question regarding South Korean police certificates.

The IRCC website states for South Korean police certificates: "Police certificates must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records (실효된 형 포함)"

The certificate I received looks like this one "https://taffytoffy.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/criminal-records-check-reply11.png?w=640". The certificate states it is "for confirmation of investigation card materials (including lapsed of criminal sentences" but does not specifically state that all records have been checked.

Is this a concern? Does anyone know what the certificates look like that have been approved in the past, and does it specifically state that all records have been checked?

Thank you.
Hi glassdoor12,

I just wanna ask do you have any update about this? Did CIC accept this document. They are asking my partner as well to send this but no way to find where to start since we don’t know anyone in Korea anymore. I heard they need the criminal investigation record check that all records have been checked. So, did yours accepted by CIC?

Thanks in advance.

mongchira

Sep 1, 2019
Hi glassdoor12,

I just wanna ask do you have any update about this? Did CIC accept this document. They are asking my partner as well to send this but no way to find where to start since we don’t know anyone in Korea anymore. I heard they need the criminal investigation record check that all records have been checked. So, did yours accepted by CIC?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, please send me an email to rosalindademers@gmail.com. Thank you .

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
I went to Seoul Mapo Police Station. address is 618-1 Ahyeon-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea. When you enter the vicinity, do not go to the main building, go straight to the separate building on the left for foreigners. make sure you print the copy of the exact document on the blog just to show them what exact document you need and present you passport and copy of your old alien registration card. You can tell them you need the exact copy in english version and they should be able to give it within 5 minutes. i didnt have a problem getting it and i can barely speak korean. i spoke to them by just showing the document i needed and it worked for me.
May I know when you did your request and what the document name you got? One of you is Korean citizen or are you both foreigners?

Because I tried many ways on December 2019 to get it but it didn;t work, I live far from Seoul but I tried to call police over there, even I asked my Korean friends to help anyway but they refused to issue Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (범죄· 수사경력 회보서) because of recent changes to the Personal Information Protection Act. They just accepted to issue Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate (신원조사(범죄경력)증명서). And they explain that police officers can search records for Korean citizen, but they cannot search records for foreigners.

Andy foreigners here facing the issue like me? How do you deal with this? Please update. Thank you so much.

mikititahh

Sep 28, 2019
May I know when you did your request and what the document name you got? One of you is Korean citizen or are you both foreigners?

Because I tried many ways on December 2019 to get it but it didn;t work, I live far from Seoul but I tried to call police over there, even I asked my Korean friends to help anyway but they refused to issue Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (범죄· 수사경력 회보서) because of recent changes to the Personal Information Protection Act. They just accepted to issue Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate (신원조사(범죄경력)증명서). And they explain that police officers can search records for Korean citizen, but they cannot search records for foreigners.

Andy foreigners here facing the issue like me? How do you deal with this? Please update. Thank you so much.
I requested "Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (범죄· 수사경력 회보서)" back in June of this year and none of us is korean. Like what i said, i can barely speak korean. all i did was print this file https://taffytoffy.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/criminal-records-check-reply11.png?w=640 , Which i found on a blog and told the officers i needed an english copy for myself and they printed it right away. it was really fast and i never had an issue. i made sure a showed them my passport and Photocopy of my ALien registration card.

I dont know why most people i know are having problems getting it. I already heard this issue prior to me flying back to korea just to get this document but so far im grateful i didnt have to go through the same thing. Maybe you can try doing the same thing as i did and go to the same police station. print the exact copy of document you you need and show them that it's your friend's copy and he/she was able to get it from there. in that way they wont refuse you since you will tell them that your friend got it without any problem. I know for sure the document i got was exactly what RCIC needed since i already got an Acknowledgment of receipt from immigration.

Reactions: tham_son

Doesteven

Nov 16, 2019
Can I know what is your solution?
Hi, kindly send me an email to
Can I know what is your solution?
Hi, someone help me to get the police record, with the lapsed record as well back on August 2019. Then after that person still helping some people who having a problem to get the PCC especially if that person doesn't have any friend or relatives in Korea. But of course I do pay her. But the price is not too bad for me so if you want maybe I can help to direct you with her. But the only problems is as I know the PCC cannot be issued when the applicants it self is currently in Korea. Cause they will need the entry and exit record meanwhile it's only you can get once you leave the country. Well, correct me if I am wrong .

ishrat6788

Aug 12, 2019

Hi, Could you solve the problem yet? My application was also rejected based on this. But I raised an webform explaining the situation in Korea and they reopened my application. Recently I got my Passport request. So I guess CIC is already updated on the situation. Do explain the whole situation in your LOE and that should do. Best of luck. Also, in some police stations they have posted notices about this lapsed record situation. You can take a picture of that and submit it to CIC as an additional proof.

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Hi, Could you solve the problem yet? My application was also rejected based on this. But I raised an webform explaining the situation in Korea and they reopened my application. Recently I got my Passport request. So I guess CIC is already updated on the situation. Do explain the whole situation in your LOE and that should do. Best of luck. Also, in some police stations they have posted notices about this lapsed record situation. You can take a picture of that and submit it to CIC as an additional proof.
Thank you so much for your updated.

Yes, I did an explanation letter together with Background check then uploaded on my GCKey account. I don't get any update about it yet but my application changed status as processing on 31 Dec for PA side on ECAS. I will update here if I get any updates.

Have a good day.

Wanny90

Sep 24, 2019
South Korea
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-01-2020
AOR Received.
27-01-2020
Tried getting PCC from Suwon today(2020/01/20). They showed a page that said it cannot be issued since 2019/11/07.
I have applied this for 2 other people before in 2015 and in 2017 at the same station without any problem but now they are not issuing it.

Last edited:

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Tried getting PCC from Suwon today(2020/01/20). They showed a page that said it cannot be issued since 2019/11/07.
I have applied this for 2 other people before in 2015 and in 2017 at the same station without any problem but now they are not issuing it.
Thank you for your information. You should take a photo of that information to show in explanation letter for IRCC.

Wanny90

Sep 24, 2019
South Korea
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-01-2020
AOR Received.
27-01-2020
Thank you for your information. You should take a photo of that information to show in explanation letter for IRCC.
I did but it is in Korean. What poofs did you submit? Can you email them to me?

ishrat6788

Aug 12, 2019
Yes, the notices are in Korean. Please visit an authorized Korean to english translator in Korea. They will translate the doc for you. Then please, Notarize it. That’s what I did.

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
So you can ask them again in English version, if police is nice to you. For my case, I did write an explanation letter and screenshot the website blocked when I tried to log in to get the certificate by my foreign ID number, then uploaded it on GCKey together with my background check certificate. However, my application is kept silent for a month, I don't know it works well or not by this way.

Yes, the notices are in Korean. Please visit an authorized Korean to english translator in Korea. They will translate the doc for you. Then please, Notarize it. That’s what I did.
Did you get approval for that yet?

Wanny90

Sep 24, 2019
South Korea
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
27-01-2020
AOR Received.
27-01-2020
So you can ask them again in English version, if police is nice to you. For my case, I did write an explanation letter and screenshot the website blocked when I tried to log in to get the certificate by my foreign ID number, then uploaded it on GCKey together with my background check certificate. However, my application is kept silent for a month, I don't know it works well or not by this way.

Did you get approval for that yet?
Can you write the name the document you submitted in Korean? Is it this 범죄· 수사경력 회보서 without 실효된 형 포함 (Lapsed record)

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Can you write the name the document you submitted in Korean? Is it this 범죄· 수사경력 회보서 without 실효된 형 포함 (Lapsed record)
As I posted in previous, it is Background Check (Criminal Records) Certificate (신원조사(범죄경력)증명서)

Reactions: Wanny90