+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions about interview in case it is called.

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Accepted Jan 16 landing End of May! :)
Do they let you bring electronics? Or is it like any US Embassy were you can't even bring a HAT inside?

Anyways I guess both spouses have to be there = flying around the world = hotel = $$$$$$.

Do they put you in different rooms? And ask one person a question and then type it up on a computer and the other person asking you the question reads it and asks you one to see if it matches? I am guessing this is how it would be done.

And I am sure they ask you questions to corner you and trick you by any means to catch you to see if it's fake or real.

I am one of those happy bubbly people who just loves to talk and crack jokes and put a smile on every ones face! :p 8) ;D

Thank you guys.

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
I thought that interview is for the sponsored person only, isn't that correct, never heard a sponsor going through an interview.

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Camelboy said:
I thought that interview is for the sponsored person only, isn't that correct, never heard a sponsor going through an interview.
No idea I'll find out with the other people posting! :)

Peterpan12

Feb 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-2012
AOR Received.
06-2012
File Transfer...
06-2012
Med's Done....
03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-2013
LANDED..........
Hopefully 02-2013
JustMarried81 said:
No idea I'll find out with the other people posting! :)
Sponsor doesn't need to be present. In fact I doubt they let the sponsor in the interview room. However, I assume if you can go it will definitely count as 'relationship evidence' and a strong one in the eyes of the VO that you were willing to travel back for this. When interviews are called it's more often than not due to VO suspecting the relationship is not genuine or doesn't seem genuine enough.

Good luck.

Camelboy

Oct 21, 2012
Visa Office......
Nairobi
I think most of the sponsors are in Canada and flying thousands of miles for a interview at a LocaL office seems to be impractical, Some sponsors are students, some are not even able to pay for their tickets to fly.
So yeah lets see what other forum member say :D

I saw that kind of interview you mentioned in a movie called Proposal (2009) where both the sponsor and applicants were interviewed in the States after Visa Officer got suspicious about their relationship 8)

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Peterpan12 said:
Sponsor doesn't need to be present. In fact I doubt they let the sponsor in the interview room. However, I assume if you can go it will definitely count as 'relationship evidence' and a strong one in the eyes of the VO that you were willing to travel back for this. When interviews are called it's more often than not due to VO suspecting the relationship is not genuine or doesn't seem genuine enough.

Good luck.
Oh okay the wifey has 2 jobs right now, she just started one on monday and the 2nd one today for training. So flying her out, and all she would have to take time off of work but this is not for another 7 to 9 months. So we got lots of time still. I'll tell her not to take any vacation or extra days off just yet!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Indeed - only the applicant has to go to the interview. The sponsor can accompany but is not necessarily allowed in the room.
If there are some questions that they want to ask to the sponsor, they can schedule a phone interview with him/her.

There is a list of questions that people have been asked at interview - you can try using the search function for it.

best way to prepare is to send an application as complete as possible so you're not asked for an interview. Some VO almost systematically ask for one, but Paris is not one of them, and it's quite seldom for visa-exempt applicants to be called for an interview, so i don't think you have to worry about it.

Sweden

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Sweden said:
Indeed - only the applicant has to go to the interview. The sponsor can accompany but is not necessarily allowed in the room.
If there are some questions that they want to ask to the sponsor, they can schedule a phone interview with him/her.

There is a list of questions that people have been asked at interview - you can try using the search function for it.

best way to prepare is to send an application as complete as possible so you're not asked for an interview. Some VO almost systematically ask for one, but Paris is not one of them, and it's quite seldom for visa-exempt applicants to be called for an interview, so i don't think you have to worry about it.

Sweden
I got some red flags from my past! One from USA but no criminal record, just visa problem in the states and one in Canada.

I am not really worried if they asked for an interview but I remember seeing the movie "green card" as a kid. lol.

I asked the Embassy a few days ago if they had a way of checking to making sure that my passport got scanned when I left the airport and they tell me I need to get an ARC. It's like I come from a visa exempt country and I just left there last Friday! :eek: I think they didn't understand my question clearly.

And thanks again dude, I was hoping you would come here! 8)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
JustMarried81 said:
Do they let you bring electronics? Or is it like any US Embassy were you can't even bring a HAT inside?
They will not let you record the interview. Most embassies won't let you bring electronics inside anyway.
Anyways I guess both spouses have to be there = flying around the world = hotel = $$$$$$.
Only the applicant will be interviewed. Usually the sponsor is not there; if the visa officer wants to, they can phone the sponsor. They don't usually bother. If the sponsor is there, the visa officer may ask to interview him or her too.
Do they put you in different rooms? And ask one person a question and then type it up on a computer and the other person asking you the question reads it and asks you one to see if it matches? I am guessing this is how it would be done.
Ordinarily, they only interview the applicant. The visa officer will ask questions based on the application forms, and will be checking that the answers match. Again, the vo could phone the sponsor and ask similar questions, but this is uncommon. If the sponsor is at the embassy, the vo may interview him or her. In this case they usually interview the two separately, and will compare the answers.
And I am sure they ask you questions to corner you and trick you by any means to catch you to see if it's fake or real.
Some forum members have reported that their visa officers were polite and just asked basic questions. Some have reported otherwise. It seems that if the visa officer is suspicious about the genuineness of the relationship, he or she may very well try to trick or intimidate the applicant. If you get an aggressive visa officer who seems to be trying to trick you at your interview, just try to stay calm and stick with your story. One common tactic seems to be to ask the same question over and over again, hoping I guess that the person will get so flustered that he/she will break down and admit the whole thing is fake.

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
canadianwoman said:
They will not let you record the interview. Most embassies won't let you bring electronics inside anyway.Only the applicant will be interviewed. Usually the sponsor is not there; if the visa officer wants to, they can phone the sponsor. They don't usually bother. If the sponsor is there, the visa officer may ask to interview him or her too. Ordinarily, they only interview the applicant. The visa officer will ask questions based on the application forms, and will be checking that the answers match. Again, the vo could phone the sponsor and ask similar questions, but this is uncommon. If the sponsor is at the embassy, the vo may interview him or her. In this case they usually interview the two separately, and will compare the answers.Some forum members have reported that their visa officers were polite and just asked basic questions. Some have reported otherwise. It seems that if the visa officer is suspicious about the genuineness of the relationship, he or she may very well try to trick or intimidate the applicant. If you get an aggressive visa officer who seems to be trying to trick you at your interview, just try to stay calm and stick with your story. One common tactic seems to be to ask the same question over and over again, hoping I guess that the person will get so flustered that he/she will break down and admit the whole thing is fake.
LOL Oh man! Thanks for the info this is good! The last one I figured that they would use the same trick!

Yeah I am not worried about anything then.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
JustMarried81 said:

I am one of those happy bubbly people who just loves to talk and crack jokes and put a smile on every ones face! :p 8) ;D

Thank you guys.
We had an issue with going into the border here in Ontario/NY when my husband was landing. I have two different hearing devices and one of them went dead while I was sitting there with my mom and I take it off to change the battery and three agents stood up and just GLARED at me like I was holding a bomb.. I quickly finished, put it back on my head and said "It's a cochlear implant.................." their hands came off their guns O_O

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Camelboy said:
Here is the Operations Manual on the topic: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Only applicable areas seem to be:
- If a relationship of convenience is suspected, officers may wish to interview applicants (and sponsor where applicable) separately.

- CPC-M may arrange an interview with a sponsor, but officers must provide specific questions for
the sponsor to answer

So it seems if CIC really wants to interview a sponsor they can arrange to do it in Canada (via CPC-M).

Not sure what the "where applicable" means in the other reference... perhaps this is when the sponsor decides on their own to accompany the applicant to the out-of-country interview, they could be asked to interview just because they happen to be there.

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
parker24 said:
We had an issue with going into the border here in Ontario/NY when my husband was landing. I have two different hearing devices and one of them went dead while I was sitting there with my mom and I take it off to change the battery and three agents stood up and just GLARED at me like I was holding a bomb.. I quickly finished, put it back on my head and said "It's a cochlear implant.................." their hands came off their guns O_O
OMG lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Trigger happy anyone?

JustMarried81

Sep 3, 2012
Luxembourg
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 6th 2013
AOR Received.
July 5th 2013
Med's Done....
Jan 21st 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Rob_TO said:
Here is the Operations Manual on the topic: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Only applicable areas seem to be:
- If a relationship of convenience is suspected, officers may wish to interview applicants (and sponsor where applicable) separately.

- CPC-M may arrange an interview with a sponsor, but officers must provide specific questions for
the sponsor to answer

So it seems if CIC really wants to interview a sponsor they can arrange to do it in Canada (via CPC-M).

Not sure what the "where applicable" means in the other reference... perhaps this is when the sponsor decides on their own to accompany the applicant to the out-of-country interview, they could be asked to interview just because they happen to be there.
Thanks, yeah I read from others if they see the person they might interview them also so I won't be doing that!